Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 512715 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #2880 on: December 23, 2015, 05:16:51 am »

I just had a winner of a nightmare. The local time is 4:30 AM.

I was at a tournament with my friends, in the usual unreal atmosphere of atypical situations that the tournament atmosphere provides. I awaken in the hotel room on the second morning of the competition. I strike up a morning conversation with my friends about all the strange coincidences and connections we experience at tournaments. A minor argument erupts over the nature of these coincidences and if they have any meaning.

Flash.

I open the door of the bathroom. It does not lead to the bathroom. It exits an elevator on an airport terminal walkway. We file out into the terminal, understandably somewhat panicked by this strange event. I note that this happened as soon as we were talking about the abnormality of everything. We begin to run down the terminal space, almost sprinting while trying not to draw attention.

Flash.

We are in a car, just three of us. We are driving to the tournament. I am in the passenger seat. I strike up a driving conversation with my friends about all the strange coincidences and connections we experience at tournaments. A major argument erupts over the nature of these coincidences and if they have any meaning. I lapse into sleep as I often do over these extra-long car rides.

Flash.

I rouse myself from sleeping with the familiar feeling of returning to continuous motion in a car. Before I open my eyes I feel myself grasping something in front of me, arms outstretched. I open my eyes. I am in the drivers seat. I am moving at 50 MPH. I am alone.

I crush down on the surge of panic to keep myself on the road. My driving is horribly erratic with all the grace expected of having just woken up to a great shock, but I avoid crashing. I try to spare some thought to figure out what is happening. I begin to remember the incident at the airport. I panic further. There is a combination Baptist church and quick stop on the right side of the road. I pull in, wanting to escape the road. The sheriff is locking the doors of the building, the service is about to start. I didn't know it was morning.

No matter, I back up the car to another spot, get out, and enter the quick stop instead. I don't know what I'm trying to do. I pace back and forth around one corner of a square shelf where the register cannot see me, trying to wring thoughts out of my mind and make sense of this. A man who looks remarkably like Denzel Washington enters the quick stop. I notice him, and in my continuous panic fear his approach. I take my keys in my left fist and the broken support of my umbrella in my right. He gets close enough to take notice of the armed man raving to himself in a corner, and steps away, trying to avoid a confrontation. When I do not approach or attack he starts to relax and look through the snacks shelf. After a bit, he turns to me and with all the presumption of the snide receptionist says:

"I guess your mind is just about gone, isn't it?"

I snap out of my introspection immediately. I tell him that anybody would be disturbed by the things I experienced today. He asks what it is that has me in crisis in the snack isle of a quick stop. I tell him that it would be irrelevant to describe, as nobody would consider what has happened plausible unless they were there. Without waiting for a response, I disregard what I just said and go on to describe how my friends have vanished. As I talk about it, I realize that I'm not really sure where I am.

"Denzel" responds much like most people confronting an apparent madman in a gas station would and makes a half-offer half-threat to get the police to help me find my friends. A woman enters the shop, we both ignore her. I tell him his "kindness" is poisoned. He looks rather upset.

Flash.

Darkness. I am in my room. My real room. I haven't been to a tournament in months. The fuzzy darkness starts to withdraw from my head. My skull hurts, as it often does after my more spirited nighttime adventures. The local time is 4:30 AM. I turn my lamp on since I'm certainly not going back to sleep. After a bit, I start to realize something. I knew my missing friends from the nightmare, but they aren't really my friends.

Life is funny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: December 26, 2015, 07:21:47 am »

My family and  I lived in a town near a volcano. My father was, despite the repeated rumblings of the volcano, the only person that believed that the volcano would erupt. Even after a long debate with the mayor, he only got a few concessions out of the mayor, which seemed to be limited to stationing the city firefighters outside of the city and having them ready for search and rescue operations. For some reason, I know that the volcano would erupt tomorrow, and that there would be only 50 survivors.

We then prepared to leave, which consisted of me shoving all my stuff(A combination of my actual possessions as well as stuff I didn't have) into a couple of suitcases. The next day, we began driving away for the town and volcano. The dream then switches to what must have been the town, despite a number of 1800s era trappings, being destroyed by pyroclastic flows. Then I woke up.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: December 26, 2015, 10:40:18 am »

-snip-

:o

That is one of the most surreal dreams I've read about.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: December 26, 2015, 10:48:25 am »

Yeah, that was an awesome read. I think the track I'm listening to kinda accentuated the tension as I read it. :)
Eric Blank's dream from the last page was pretty great, too. I need to get back into recording my dreams... lately I've been forgetting them all.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: December 26, 2015, 10:59:58 am »

-snip-

:o

That is one of the most surreal dreams I've read about.
Man, it can get far more surreal than that. This one stood out, but it isn't even close to the top. When I have true fever dreams the wild things come out.

One that I remember with some detail was Geometry Hell, a dream that consisted of my mental exploration of a space void of all matter except classical geometric shapes of various sizes and colors, all rendered in a way that appeared similar to the output of late 90's 3D modeling software. I can only recall having visited Geometry Hell once, but it stood out enough that I remember it years later.

In fact, now that I think of it various void-related nightmares are common while I have a fever. There's another one that is recurring is essentially a very intense version of the visual snow you get when your eyes are closed. Scenes suspended in the void form, twist, and deform rapidly into something else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: December 26, 2015, 07:24:32 pm »

The main thing I remember dreaming about just now was a prolonged awkward and irritating situation at some place with family, where people I disliked (including my brother, who found my reaction hilarious) were speaking to/about me as I did my best to ignore them, and then I had to use a really terrible public bathroom that for some reason had no stalls/barriers around the toilets.
And then I woke up and had to go to the real toilet to pee. ::)

There was an earlier, far more interesting dream about some sort of possibly post-apocalyptic wasteland and my (or whoever's I was in the dream) interactions with the people who lived there, but I can barely remember it. I believe there was plenty of action.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: December 26, 2015, 07:59:16 pm »

I had a dream a few days back. I was getting a new haircut. I was going to get my hair straightened, basically, and have long, straight hair. I don't want curly hair. That was literally the dream, also I was getting the haircut in a semi truck, for some reason.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: December 27, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »

Went back to sleep and had a dream that was a strange mashup of The Wire (which I've been watching a lot of lately), LoTR (Which I haven't watched or read in years), my memories of the US and my recent life- as well as unrelated dream weirdness to fill the gaps, naturally.

I, along with a couple of droogs, was searching for a pair of hobbit gangbangers in some town. I can't remember what my beef with them was, but I know I was trying to spot them without them spotting me first. We may have all been members of the same criminal organization; I was asking around for their whereabouts amongst people who seemed to know both them and I, and worried that some of them might have given my targets warning.

At some times I was nervously fidgeting with a small hold-out pistol that would fit easily in my front pocket or hidden in the palm of my hand, at other times I was packing an elvish shortsword like one from the LoTR films. I think I was also a hobbit myself in at least part of the dream, although I think I was myself for most of it... or maybe I was simply a short, hobbit-y version of me.
Similarly, it seemed like (memory's a bit hazy) somewhere along the line my rivals had simply switched from being black hoodlums from The Wire to being Frodo and Sam from the LoTR trilogy. I remember leaning through a window of some bar and talking to a couple of friends I made in the US, asking if there were any hobbits in the bar and giving a description of Frodo (I think I said, fairly slim for a hobbit, pale, with blue eyes and brown hair) and Sam.

As always, I wish I could remember more of the dream, such as just why I was after these two or who I was, whether I found them and who the guys backing me up were, but oh well, what I remember of it is quite entertaining on its own.
I know it was kind of intense at a few points. Walking along through this large outdoor yard at night, quite a few people around, thinking I spotted them and having my hand on the gun in my pocket... that was actually a pretty action-packed dream despite having less actual violence (that I can remember) than my usual ones.
There is a lot that I don't remember, though... I think there were some gang-related slayings at some point of the dream, or at least the fallout from them. Hell, maybe that was why I was after Frodo and Sam/whoever they were at other points in the dream.

Tl;Dr: I was a quantum hobbit thug hunting down some rival gang-bangers who happened to be Frodo and Samwise, packing a varied assortment of Elvish swords and handguns as I and my buddies searched this strange town that was a dream-twisted mixture of various places and memories.
Booze is Life for Yoink

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: December 27, 2015, 10:48:48 pm »

I got one recently where I was in a summer camp. A hardcore one where people were trying to chicken out.
I wish I could remember more of that one.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: December 31, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »

I in a game that dream-me observed was vaguely reminiscent of Minecraft meets Animal Crossing. It was nothing like either of them.

The only part I specifically remember is leaning back in a chair when a tarantula snuck up on me and scared the hell out of me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 01, 2016, 03:46:56 am »

I dreamt up a very vague horror fantasy setting which, in my mind, was The Witcher, but the people in my mind, who were clearly meant to be Geralt and other people, looked absolutely nothing like the characters.  That's what I get for not playing a specific franchise, mismatched casting. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: January 01, 2016, 01:58:29 pm »

Had a relatively sane dream, this morning (without any obvious reference to the turning of the new year).

Part of it involved taking an old book (first volume of a nascent series) and by some strange means or other (involving using my server as a workstation, which I normally try not to do) manipulated an electronic version of a newer book (second volume of that series) into a state that I could insert its pages (matched for paper quality and size) into the original tattered copy, from which I'd then remove the original pages to (I presume) get a brand-new-looking proper Second Volume copy, without actually bookbinding the loose-leafs of the 2nd together as a new book.

It was an interestingly satisfying process, save for the necessity to copy and paste the contents of attachments over the hyperlinks to those attachments (or something along those lines) that liberally dotted the 2nd Vol source text where they should have just had the attachment contents run straight through in a plain flatfile.

As far as that part was concerned, I've got no idea what the symbolism/back-reference to Real Life was.  (Beyond really needing to work on that server, but that was but a minor element...)

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
  • The OS, the tuber, also this bird now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: January 01, 2016, 08:06:22 pm »

In fact, now that I think of it various void-related nightmares are common while I have a fever. There's another one that is recurring is essentially a very intense version of the visual snow you get when your eyes are closed. Scenes suspended in the void form, twist, and deform rapidly into something else.

My fever dreams seem to have a motif of infinite space, or billions of subdivisions. (always billions.) When I was very little, they were always about some (infinitely large) invisible giant forcing a fairy to carry (infinitely heavy) invisible boulders (an infinite distance) across a featureless white plain. Really the only thing visible was the fairy being slowly crushed under some vague suggestion of glass.

Then one time I got sick and dreamt that my dad and I were flying WW2-era biplanes over my bed. We were under an inch tall, with planes to match, and the giant stood over the real me in my bed, and I saw that he was really only about 3 feet tall. We were all trapped in a box above my bed by some sort of forcefield, but in the end the giant went down like some Kaiju, and I never had those dreams again.

Now my fever dreams are about me breaking something into tiny pieces and being faced with the prospect of spending years fixing it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: January 03, 2016, 01:56:21 am »

My fever dreams seem to have a motif of infinite space, or billions of subdivisions. (always billions.) When I was very little, they were always about some (infinitely large) invisible giant forcing a fairy to carry (infinitely heavy) invisible boulders (an infinite distance) across a featureless white plain. Really the only thing visible was the fairy being slowly crushed under some vague suggestion of glass.

oOOOH, sharing fever dreams. I remember being giant and in space and holding the Earth in my hands. My hands were turning to crystal and wouldn't interlock correctly. I needed to keep the Earth where it was, but I couldn't touch it with the crystal parts of my hands or I'd ruin it. And my hands wouldn't quite touch right, my fingertips kept bumping against one another instead of interlacing. I was also awake for this fever dream, which would have been vaguely trippy if I hadn't been so out of it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 04, 2016, 12:30:25 am »

I had a few different dreams last night, unfortunately I only remember fragments of each.

An earlier one involved some sort of school, and I believe an investigation of some kind at that school- or perhaps I was searching for someone who was/had been attending said school at some stage? Don't remember much at all of that one.

The next one I remember was set either in medieval times or some post apocalyptic semi-wasteland.
I was a member of some group of warriors, and I vaguely remember having some pretty snazzy equipment. At some point, though, I lost whatever weapon I'd been issued with somehow and replaced it with a long aluminium pole instead. Other than that, all I remember is one moment where I was eyeing off some potentially hostile group that was near where we were... or perhaps they were at our objective. I really wish I could remember more of this one. :(

Lastly I remember being in a library, looking for a book to read- possibly a book about/inspired by the previous dream.
I was struggling to find the correct section (I saw a section titled 'Warriors' and figured that would be relevant, but then couldn't find it again and eventually decided that it didn't exist) when a group of people showed up beside me in the aisle.
They were led by this tall Indian-looking dude who seemed kinda irritated about something, perhaps the book they sought wasn't there? Anyway, he spoke to the others, planning out what they were going to do next, and then without looking grabbed my sleeve. I was standing just behind and to the left of him, so he thought I was someone else.

I said something like, "Uh, hey," and he looked over, realised his mistake, then grinned and sort of shook me up and down by my shirt (which was actually a blue woollen jumper which I own in real life) before releasing me. I jokingly complained about this, then most of them left and I joked around with one of their party before she was called away as well.

Then I found the 'adventure' section and was briefly excited to see a new Ken Follett novel, only to be dismayed upon realising it was set in Australia. I think I read the blurb, complained (in my head or out loud?) about Mr. Follett choosing such a boring setting, and then I woke up. *shrug*

Edit: One dream I remember a bit more of was from a few nights ago.
I was in some kind of supermarket, I believe I was working there since I seemed to spend quite a lot of time in the place.
At some point I discovered a colony of rats/mice living in one of the displays (I think it was at the end of an aisle) and, me being me, decided to start feeding them. I did this for a while. I can't remember quite what I was feeding them, but somehow either the food, the little bits of training I tried giving them or a combination of both caused them to start gaining sapience.

As they became smarter they also became less fearful of humans, expecting others to be as kindly as me... perhaps "smarter" is the wrong word.
Anyway, they stopped being quite as careful as they had been before, and were spotted by some of my co-workers who, vile human beings that they were, wanted to exterminate the rodents. I had to stop people from stomping on/otherwise murdering them more than once. I'm pretty sure I went to great lengths to protect my little friends.

Somehow, though, I wound up being shrunk down to rat-size after all this had been going on for some time and... they attacked me. :-\
I think I escaped, or perhaps convinced them not to eat me, that I was still their friend, but I'm not sure. That's the last part I remember.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:54:49 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 339