Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 567183 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #900 on: April 19, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

Had my first lucid dream after trying (Not really, but I've been thinking about trying) for a few weeks.  The thing that tipped me off to it being a dream is that I was wearing clothes.  I know what you're thinking, "But Brotato, how the heck could clothes have tipped you off?", and the answer is that I don't wear clothes when I sleep once it starts getting warm again.

It was strange and awesome at the same time to actually know you're sleeping.  I tried to fly, but was never able to do more than jump which is kind of disappointing.  Then I having sex with this girl I know in real life (admittedly pretty pathetic)  But my brother refused to leave my room which was very frustrating.  I even told him I was in a dream so he had to obey but to no avail.  Apparently I haven't quite mastered the ability to control what happens in my LDs but I'm hoping that will come with practice.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:36 pm »

Your creativity is astonishing xD

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:55 pm »

Had my first lucid dream after trying (Not really, but I've been thinking about trying) for a few weeks.  The thing that tipped me off to it being a dream is that I was wearing clothes.  I know what you're thinking, "But Brotato, how the heck could clothes have tipped you off?", and the answer is that I don't wear clothes when I sleep once it starts getting warm again.

It was strange and awesome at the same time to actually know you're sleeping.  I tried to fly, but was never able to do more than jump which is kind of disappointing.  Then I having sex with this girl I know in real life (admittedly pretty pathetic)  But my brother refused to leave my room which was very frustrating.  I even told him I was in a dream so he had to obey but to no avail.  Apparently I haven't quite mastered the ability to control what happens in my LDs but I'm hoping that will come with practice.
Maybe the problem isn't that you have problems controlling your dream but you subconsciously actually wanting to refuse yourself for whatever reason. Not that I have any real lucid dream experience, just offering a possibility.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:56 am »

I had a really interesting and scary dream. The dream is about a murderer woman. The dream has two parts. The first part is where I witness her murder but nobody notices me. I just walk around and watch.

In the first part, I learn that she killed her husband who cheated on her. She hired someone to run him over on the road but her husband managed to get away with some injuries. As he was limping to a hospital after the accident, she closed in and killed him with her own hands. He was just returning from his lover. I remember him lying on the street with a pool of blood around him. He was crying and telling that he was sorry. The woman was crying too but she didn't do anything to save him and eventually he died. I don't remember how exactly she killed him.

I wake up, then sleep again and the second part starts. I'm married and this woman became a divorce attorney. She also makes a TV show by finding out cheating husbands and exposing them. She thinks I'm cheating on my wife (which is a lie) and begins following me. She has a cameraman with her too. I know about this woman's past so I get scared. I confront her in a crowded street and tell her that I'm not cheating but she doesn't listen. Whenever I talk about how I'm a loyal husband she tells the cameraman to turn the camera off and when I shut up cameraman turns the camera on. She apparently wants to picture me as a husband who cheats on his wife, even if that's not the truth.

After beating up the cameraman for a while, I start walking to my house. I enter a dark alley and notice the woman is following me. There is nobody around so I get a little scared. She even ditched the cameraman. I walk faster and she walks faster too. I start climbing a fence and she runs towards me.

That's when I wake up. She was kinda attractive but the whole murderer-of-husbands thing was kind of an obstacle between us you know.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 26, 2013, 06:19:00 am »

Sometimes I do wonder.. what if dreams really are portals to alternative universes?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 26, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »

Eh, they tend to be too relevant to this universe. After being nervous about screwing up at work last weekend, I dreamed about being yelled at for screwing up at work. Seems like there's a simpler explanation than dimension hopping.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 26, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »

Could be alternate timelines as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 27, 2013, 12:27:25 pm »

Had one where there was a world with a magic system based entirely around maths (not in Clarke's fashion, either; it was low-tech and maths was only understood through the functioning of the magic), in which the Serpinski Triangle was worshipped as a holy concept by the members of the Base-3 School.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 27, 2013, 02:11:29 pm »

Had one where there was a world with a magic system based entirely around maths (not in Clarke's fashion, either; it was low-tech and maths was only understood through the functioning of the magic), in which the Serpinski Triangle was worshipped as a holy concept by the members of the Base-3 School.
I want to live there. It sounds so... perfect.

Take me into your dreams ;_;
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »

I don't remember any recent dreams but I do remember one dream (vaugely) where I was playing Dwarf Fortress... in the future!

Needless to say... Virtual Reality Dwarfing was a dream(Pun not intended)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 27, 2013, 02:32:00 pm »

I was driving down a dark road in the middle of the night.  Above me, lights were flashing down as if from street lights except there weren't any.  I'm feeling rather lost despite the road being completely straight and lacking any sort of turns whatsoever and the darkness isn't helping.  There are no people and there are no road signs.  The sides of the road are all covered with deep forests, a nice mix of coniferous and deciduous trees.  Up ahead I see a sign and it says "slow down tree crossing."  I'm slightly confused by this but slow down anyway and as I do, a large herd(?) of trees suddenly start crawling across the road using their roots to propel forward.

That's when I woke up.
Were they Ents?
They prolly were Dark Youngs
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #911 on: April 28, 2013, 02:28:30 am »

Hike through jungles, mountains, something reminiscent of tropics around Malaysia. Then everything was in a native American camp where everyone was swapping culture, stories and it ended with everyone throwing bundles of darts and flax that had been set aflame at targets. Then one of the hikers tries to throw the bundle and mostly fails miserably compared to the Native Americans.
He gets mad when they start laughing, grabs some boards, darts, waxy sinews, goes into a strange mood and makes a big ballista, firing the darts further into the night sky than ever thrown.
Everyone starts shouting about the joys of 1000x stronger!
[Then they attack a Japanese Fortress, decimating the garrison with a night raid].

*Does sound a bit like the last samurai in an alternative reality.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 28, 2013, 10:01:15 am »

Didn't dream tonight, but I had a really unsettling dream Friday night.
It was the middle of winter, and it was deathly cold out. This isn't really relevant, but it sets the tone.
I've recently been having dreams where I would have unlimited power, or close to it. I generally go about my daily life, till I realize "holy shit I can go full lucid" then wake up without getting to the funstuff. heh-heh.

In this dream, I had the power to bring inanimate objects to life. Sapient(they didn't have faces, but I could FEEL them thinking. Most of the time it felt like confusion), but still slaves to my will. I started to get lucid, I ordered a Snowgolem/Dustgolem to retrive something. When I opened the door, I was attacked by a wolf. This wolf liked a cross between a wolf/and the angels in Bayonetta. It was powerful, but I kicked it off. And shut the door. More of them circled around the house. I ordered a few toy air plane to attack from above(I was operating on RTS logic, ground units can't do shit to air units). It worked for a while, till the wolves jumped up and swallowed them whole. My Golem wasn't combat oriented either, so I was basically being sieged. Then the wolves managed to bust the window down. The dream ended.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 28, 2013, 01:45:50 pm »

In my latest dream (that I can remember) I was playing a shooter game similar to Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, except it was set in a fantasy world. I was near a Goblin bandit outpost situated in a cave deep underground. I was sitting on a cliff edge, overlooking the outpost through the scope of my sniper rifle, but I accidentally fell off the cliff, alerting the goblins to my location. A brief firefight ensued, and eventually the goblins shot me dead with their assault rifles. I woke up a few moments before dying.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:47:40 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 29, 2013, 08:27:33 am »

The memories have somewhat faded from last night's dream, having had to get up q7uickly to get to an appointment and only just gotten back to a suitable keyboard, but there was more Geography[1] in the early parts.

By the end, though, there was an abandoned lorry (US: truck; and single body, not articulated/tractor-trailer combo[3]), of the enclosed type with a car loaded into it and big clues that there was somebody in the boot(/trunk) of the car, and a danger of fire.  Which happened 'coincidentally' after we[2]'d actually discovered this event.  It became clear to me that this was an exercise of some sort, set up to not be dangerous.  I had the impression that the guy trapped in the car trapped in the lorry container above the danger (and, now, actuality) of fire had triggered the event himself once we were there to help.

For whatever reason, my fellow 'rescuers' were dumbass slow and I was shouting myself horse trying to get them to bring fire extinguishers (some were quite close by, right next to the theatre stage... Which makes sense only in a context I can't entirely recall right now... but both a CO2 and Water extinguisher were available) to deal with the fire.  Not through fear for anyone's life or anything like that, but more like when you've been asking someone to pass the salt and they've continued to ignore you even while you become totally riled about it.  "LOOK!  PASS THE SALT!  THE SALT!!  THAT LITTLE THING IN FRONT OF YOU!!!  ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME?!?!".  Which isn't like me (at least outwardly), but happened anyway.  (About the fire extinguishers, not salt.)

Somebody must have taken notice and I went to investigate the cab of the lorry, and found a 'clue'.  A particular piece of vehicle registration form on the passenger seat of driver's cab.  (I know it was a 'clue', because by now I knew this was either an exercise or something akin to a "murder mystery weekend" playlet, although exactly which I couldn't say.)  The vehicle it described was neither the lorry nor the car we found within...

I was hypothesising it had something to do with the identity of the person doubly-trapped within the vehicles (and currently probably still bothered by fire, unless by now the others had managed to actually get off their collective arses and deal with that properly, round the back of the vehicle that I was now at the front of).

But then I woke up.  Still none-the-wiser.  And while I might re-use some visualisations, I don't tend to dream 'sequels', that I've noticed[5], so I doubt I'll get an answer to the mystery.

[1] A popular theme of mine, where I 'know' the area (sometimes based upon RL, but always 'known' by my dream-self) and I even have access to a map, but directions don't work right.  In this case partly because those around me were determined not to take the turnings I insisted on, but also because of 'discrepancies'.  Large areas of the map were matt-black (off-piste, though, as it were) and the location we were heading for was marked on the map as being off the road to the left, up a small stream, but there was apparently evidence that the location we were heading for was further along, right on a small lane and "ask again at the cottage".   Also, later, the map was photographic, and the "huge black areas" were revealed to be bales of straw (those round 'roll' types) on fire, billowing black smoke to obscure those particular parts of the map, in real-time...  Each bail was proper-sized, yet somehow individually the size of large towns elsewhere on the overhead view.  Dream logic!

[2] Whatever group of people I was with at the time...

[3] Hmm, what's the US term for that?  UK: "Artic(ulated Lorry)" being a Tractor-Trailor combo, Big Rig, '16 wheeler', possibly "Truck"[4]; but is "Wagon" the term for the one-chassis, non-unlinking type of HGV?  Sorry, I just become curious about that.  I'm sure I've known.

[4] Although, along with the derivation of "Monster Truck", I know an ex-colleague of mine (Chuck, based in San Diego...) had one of those 'standard', yet not really suitable urban-driving, flatbed-pickups with stock large tyres which you had to climb in, and we always talked about "Chuck's Truck".  And I'm minded of U-Haul 'trucks' which are of the kind I'm wondering about.  OTOH, "UPS Van".  Van.  Right, maybe that's what you'd be calling the unarticulated lorries, your side of the pond.  Still, it's right what was said about separated by a common language...  ;)

[5] At least not night-to-night.  Although sporadic sleep with half-dozey wakefulness in-between sometimes does this.  Especially if I think, while awake, of what I'd just dreamt, if that turns doesn't turn into thoughts of "what if?", and then the next dreamlet is a re-run of some prior bit of dream, going down the alternate path...
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 339