Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 568121 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4725 on: August 13, 2021, 10:49:32 am »

I had a dream last night that combined two things I've been thinking about: samurai novels and FTL (that's the computer game FTL: Faster Than Light by the way - I've been playing it quite a bit lately).

I was a member of a clan or a corporation or a crime syndicate or something. We worked in this big futuristic complex that was dug in underground, and we had some sort of secret. I don't remember what it was, probably some sort of advanced technology.

A rival group wanted our secret, but thanks to politics of some kind were unwilling to just attack us for it. So every day they would send us a representative to make us an offer. And every day my group's leader, a woman who I thought of as my mother, would go meet with the representative and decline the offer. She never just said "no", she always had a good (or at least logical) explanation for why the deal was unfavorable. She did it this way so that the other group couldn't accuse us of simply refusing honorable negotiation. And so every day the representative would leave.

Then one day the other group decided that they were done playing nice. They infiltrated a spy into my group, and while the spy was caught thanks to some alert security guards it was all the distraction the other group needed. They came to us with one final offer: give them the secret, or die. We refused, swords were drawn, and suddenly the compound was rocked with explosions. The enemy had brought in their warship, and it was firing on the compound from above while sending in squads of soldiers to take the place by force. We fired back, but the warship had the advantage and took out most of the defenses. The ship stopped firing once the compound was nearly destroyed, not wanting to risk losing the secret.

Our soldiers were more than a match for theirs but the enemy seemed limitless. Our leader figured out that the enemy warship had a cloning bay that was reviving them as they died, and thus if we wanted to prevail we had to take the fight to them. Several of us piled into our own warship, safely hidden in an underground hangar, and we launched into the sky. Our ship was smaller but much more maneuverable, and the enemy only had a slight advantage in firepower. They teleported a squad onto the ship to try and take it, but fortunately we had expected this and had defenses ready. Eventually the enemy warship exploded and plummeted to the ground.

Things weren't quite over yet. Although the warship was destroyed, there were still enemy soldiers in the compound and some of them had even managed to get underground, still seeking our secret. We were landing and preparing to enter the final phase of the battle when I woke up.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 29, 2021, 05:47:36 am »

I dreamt last night that I was back in school, and I went to a campsite with my class. At that campsite was Skeletor, who had a really deep voice, and lived in a castle on the campsite grounds with his servants. Gradually, Skeletor's past was revealed, that his two children had died, that his castle had fallen to bits, that in he got chased around in his castle by a talking car once... I went around exploring the castle, and discovered that he had been doing some weird magic shit, and he may have been experimenting on his own children at some point  which may have been why they died. After discovering an abandoned section of the castle by sheer coincidence and deciding to turn it into a dual purpose massive permanent sandcastles and train station, a flood appeared on the river, and the campsite had to be evacuated. As we ran off, however, some weird magic shit went down and we all went unconscious. When we women up, it was revealed that Skeletor had been planning to turn us all into Golems as his own personal army, and had been experimenting on us all the whole time. Now we were all Golems, and once some specific spells were cast and rituals were done, we would be his slaves forever. I ran up the stairs of his castle to the roof, where I was going to cast a magic spell of my own... and then I woke up. I have questions.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: August 29, 2021, 11:11:39 am »

That is an interesting one.
My dream involved me being part of a gang and being sent through a forest to some rival gang’s base. Inside the forest were zombies, who I could somehow convince to not eat us and to help us instead, as we were going to kill as well. Of course my partner who was sent along was terrified both at the zombies and of me for being able to talk with them. My partner looked up a cure for those who are turned for in case either of us got turned. Apparently that cure had to be used in me multiple times, a side effect was that I hardly knew whether I was a zombie or human, so I just focused on suppressing zombie cravings around members of the gang I was part of

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 30, 2021, 07:04:30 am »

I had a nightmare? A dream? I can't tell. It was uncomfortable though.

I was in this white, empty roomm Or a white void, I could go in all directions but never hit a surface. I didn't notice anything until I reached foward to touch any walls. It wasn't my hand. I saw a three fingered hand made of magma.

I was Magmacube. You know, my Websona/OC/figment of imagination. The floating whale-ine cube of magma with large eyes, sharp teeth, and three fingered hands.

It was strange. Like my hands were unconnected from my body, so I could just reach over far across this void without moving my body, and my hand would just float there all by itself. Hell, I could float anywhere myself. It's like swimming but without the weight and without actually moving at all.

After messing around a bit, I remembered that I always imagined Magmacube with the ability to echolocate, since he is supoosed to have cetacean features. So I made some ticking noises and waited for them to return or something.

The noises didn't came back. So I waited around, passing time with this cubical form. I tried to hear, smell, taste and feel. But there was nothing. Nothing except the smell, and the warm feeling of my own fiery composition.

I though why the sounds I made are yet to come back. Maybe this place was actually infinite? I couldn't tell. Until they did. It was like seeing outlines but they are all transparent. Like as if it is all clear glass but not there at all or something. You can sense the quantity of distance and shape, but like, its not sight.

This would be an interesting experience if it wasn't for the fact that this was not a sightline kind of thing. Like, I could see the entirety of the three dimensional surroundings at once. It was unbearable. The image was stuck on my vision even after the sounds had all returned.

It took me while for me to understand what exactly I was looking at. It was myself. In all directions. As if I was in a sphere of mirrors or something. All I saw was myself.

I just woke up at that point.

Lesson learned. Do not echolocate in the void. The sounds just loop around into you amd all you see becomes yourself.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4729 on: August 31, 2021, 05:34:34 am »

That sounds pretty rad

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: September 13, 2021, 07:01:34 am »

Same.  It's so interesting when a dream pulls a total interface-screw like that, instead of using the basic human form.

Not really an example because it was more like full-immersion VR as usual:  I dreamed I was alpha-testing a new MMO which made the... interesting choice of being an over-the-shoulder simultaneous-turn-based tactics RPG.  Each player had a semi-autonomous pet as a companion, and mostly just chose a move and action for themselves each turn - then every 5 seconds or so the commands would execute.  This was being tested/demonstrated in a 20-player battle royale, and was obviously extremely had to predict.  Via dream logic and some interesting attack-of-opportunity and advanced movements like "pursue" or "evade" it sorta worked!  It also looked amazing, think like Black Desert Online or some other Korean MMO.

The punchline was that they were rolling out a separate mode where instead of a basic pet, you'd command 3 other party members who could fully level up in various classes.  So you're building and "leading" a 4-person JRPG team in this confusing simultaneous-turn-based system, with some combo of healer/tank/control/etc.  Total madness but it sounded amazing.

I was pretty crushed when I woke up and realized it was all a dream.  I quickly recovered when I realized two things:  Firstly I can just play TES:O or BDO again if I want to, I just don't want to.  Secondly, this had been inspired by revisiting zangband before bed, which I can totally play and enjoy still.  I'm just tickled that my brain turned an ancient ascii dungeon crawler into a modern MMO but (sorta) kept the turn-based aspect!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: September 18, 2021, 01:08:22 am »

A lot of times I'll wait to process my dreams for a day, maybe even the night of the next day before I write them down.  Like a distillation process.  Most of the details get lost, but it's interesting to me when a core remains.

CW: Nothing particularly mostrous this time, but some animal violence

I was in my room fighting rats of unusual size.  They had sharp teeth.  I could punch them dead but more kept appearing.  I punched one wrong, my hand was in its mouth, but I got my other hand in and... uh... performed a literal Doom 2016 finisher.  Then I sat back against my bed, feeling the fresh possibly-infected scratches on my hand, and realized that this wasn't a normal night.

I was riding a motorbike in a forest.  Dogs were chasing me.  I kept having to dodge the trees and skid almost to a stop to change direction, and they kept nipping at my heels, but they were just loyal dogs.  I couldn't harm them, I just had to keep going.  For how long?

I... was on a beach?  Oh!  Yes, it was another MMORPG dream, set on a beach.  What was the problem?  Was there no problem?  Was there a wave... of sand?  Or just a wall - yes, a wall blocking the beach from the land, and mysterious ocean into the distance.  It's the most recent of the batch, but I just don't remember.  Just that it was one of those dreams where you think some of the characters are dreamers from the real world.  One of those dreams where it's so sad to leave.  There was more to that story, there were characters.  So it goes.

Edit: No, I got to choose my name!  My name is Roan, I remember now!  So many looks of amusement and pride.  Ha!  We were celebrating many victories on that secret moonlit beach, with its dark water glimmering into the distance.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:17:21 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: September 18, 2021, 07:27:25 am »

I had a dream yesterday. It was nothing flashy, yet awsome too. And as a very rare occasion in my dreams, I was myself. Human.

I was in a room. A living room with pale blue walls, outfitted with what was the classic furniture of Turkish homes in the 80-90's, dressed in winter clothing, that being a navy and baggy hoodie and jeans, and black socks.

There were high bottomed couches with curvy wood chasises carved in rounded lines, and unseparable cushions decorated with symetric, rather obnoxiously diverse flower patterns of all colors, all four of which were leaned against the walls.

A chandilier was hung high on the wooden ceiling, lowly glimmering with its rings of glass polygons that surrounded the lightbulb, giving the room a surreal quality. Bright white, yet weak and pale.

No tables, instead a plaid and wide groundcloth was laid square onto the center of the rooms also wooden floor, with a large, circular salver with engraved edges put onto its center, along with a small tray with narrow-bellied tea glasses with teaspoons inside each, and an overly designed porcelain holder filled with sugar cubes. Silvery salver was filled with untouched, ovened marrons, still hot, probably pulled ouy just seconds ago from the decrepid, ancient looking wood oven that still burned, with a simple, copper teapot on it, boiling tea bubbling and steaming inside, making the room smell a mixture of fire and pleasant black tea, with a bit of fresh snow. The air was heavy, but also comfortably warm.

There were also those classic, plain white and somehow always a bit filthy grey curtains covering the windows. I pulled them away to look outside.

The windows looked at a snowy, overgrown forest in the middle of a night. It was still snowing. But I somehow knew it was not an expanse. It was just a vision. A recording casted into the windows or something. It looked freezing cold.

I looked at my back. And realised that there were no doors. No exit. There was only this room and me.

I was, surprisingly, unfazed by this at the moment. I poured myself some tea, sat onto the groundcloth and began peeling and eating the marrons. The warm, sweet and creamy taste filled my mouth. Then I took a sip from my sweetened tea, its tamed bitterness clashing with the tasty marrons. It was perfect.

I felt content just snacking on this winter night supper while staring at the all encompassing void (I presumed) just outside the room. It felt normal.

I eventually ate and drank enough, and got sleepy. I laid on the largest couch, then closed my eyes. Then...

I woke up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:30:25 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: October 14, 2021, 01:15:27 am »

I dreamed I had apologized to certain people and we were all having a good time.

When I wake up too early at 5AM and have to take a day-nap later, apparently my subconscious can be very fricken direct.
I'd say naive, but it has a good track record.  I think it was just being concise due to the limited time.  I can dream so much in 30 minutes of sheer exhaustion.

It's better to work with it, I know that much.  It can offer both abstract fears, and abstract delights.
I'd ask "is it me", but I don't think I would be asking that in the daylight.  I would be saying it's a daemon, a muse, a plague.  All in one.
Something to work with.

Edit: Oh, but, this is unrelated to my spirituality chat.  It is definitely within my brain.  I only wonder what extent it's "me".  Sometimes, well - sometimes I get so tired that the lines blur.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 01:19:02 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: October 15, 2021, 09:48:46 pm »

Ugh, I really need a better sleep schedule.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:57:45 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4735 on: October 17, 2021, 02:24:57 pm »

Don't we all buddy

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: October 21, 2021, 11:41:24 am »

I woke up too early again and had to take another day-nap.  It was intense, and I must have fallen into it almost immediately.  It started with me visualizing what some hard drug would feel like, except that I had no way of knowing.  Yet a feeling was spreading through me and, I think, I experienced the feeling of falling asleep.  It was like painlessly dissolving/combusting, a bit disorienting but also carrying the promise of a peaceful recuperation.

So naturally the first thing I dreamed about was waking up.  I was in the front of a lurching van, and was briefly very concerned until I confirmed that I wasn't behind the wheel.  The van was being driven by a podcaster (yay parasocial dream cameos) but the back was filled with my brother and all his friends I don't know very well.  There were hanging out and having fun as usual, and... while I couldn't remember... apparently I'd joined him on a road trip.  That seemed reasonable enough to me, I figured just getting away from home for a bit had sent me into a deep sleep.

We drove around Winston-Salem for a bit, though later it was LA.  I don't really know either, this was more like Asheville - a lovely mountain town (complete with precarious cliff-side roads which Mr Podcaster always seemed to barely manage the turns of).  We made our way to some sort of civic building and the tone shifted - there were blue-skinned bureaucrats and green-skinned cops, and we were in a dream but *together* somehow.  The bureaucrats were being performatively prejudiced against us, but that was just the setting of the thing we were playing.

There was so much detail, though.  I remember trying to fill in an important sign-in sheet, but the steps were absurd.  There were instructions to stand in a specific place a foot or two to the right of the unmoveable form.  Being right handed, I couldn't quite lean over far enough to write with any accuracy, and there was a second platform in the perfect spot.  So eventually I stood on that instead, surely confirming my status as a "bad sort".  It was slightly angled and greebled but it worked.  The instructions said to grab a chained pen, but the two prominent pen-holders were empty, there were only free ones... until I cleverly checked behind the counter, and found a chained pen that reached juuuust far enough.  Nice try!  Then the form didn't make any sense and I just wandered off, defeated by this minigame.

We assembled in a packed hall for some sort of pre-recorded comedy routine.  It was dry British stuff all offered in a deadpan, yet the wordplay was good and I found myself really enjoying it.  Everybody was giggling, though there were some shushes whenever someone actually laughed (breaking another rule?).  Some people made a show of shushing each other in front of a microphone, filling the room with shushes and stifled laughter.

It was great, but I was feeling a bit oversocialized (and self-conscious) so I wandered off for a while.  I started feeling tired again, and lay down on a balcony of some monument, looking over a town which I thought was LA but was definitely Asheville as I used to see it from a certain observatory.  I took a nap in a somewhat precarious position.

To my surprise I woke up in the same position, still in the dreamworld.  It was getting dark, and people were passing by me with looks of concern.  They also looked far more real than before.  I managed to stand up, noticing my forearms were quite badly sunburned, and I even had mosquito bites all along the inside.  Someone said it looked real painful (and indeed it burned, but painlessly) and I forced a laugh and said I'd had worse.  This was too confusing though, had I really gone on a trip?  Where was my mask?  "Your group left you.  You shouldn't have wandered off" someone said.  I tried to argue with whoever it was that this had to be a dream, but there were just so many details.

Eventually I looked up at the sky, now full of stars.  For several seconds they looked just right, confirming my fears.  But then I saw that the constellations were a little too regular.  I could see all the Pleiades as if it were a chart, Cassiopeia was a *perfect* W... and slowly they became highlighted by glowing borders.  I hooked an elbow around a railing, afraid that dream-logic was about to yeet me into this still very realistic sky.  It was okay though.  Now that I had proof it was a dream, I took a deep breath and woke up.

All that happened less than 45 minutes after my head hitting the pillow.  I certainly feel recharged, after.  I just wish I was able to keep this to a proper schedule again.
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: October 22, 2021, 07:08:38 am »

Dream brain decided it was time to play capcom vs nintendo, the pvp olympics metroidvania. You had two groups of players, one on a hero track that played the rounds normally for hero points and one on a villain track that tried to also cheat. Part of the game you were racing through a 2d metroidvania pre-game thing, fighting both groups for limited powerups in an area repleat with secrets and spike laden platforming and intermittent fighting game style segments when you encountered alternate track players.

Once players had completed the pre-game area, they'd go to the 3d sports events, where each player would have their own ones to compete in for that round. On top of the events themselves, you'd also have the hero and villain groups competing in the spectator area, as the latter tried to cheat (to either boost an allied villain's performance or sabotage a hero's) and the former tried to stop them. The event I saw before waking up had a golf course in a glacier, with I think toad golfing as everyone else (I was piloting chun-li, wario was somewhere in there, there were others I'm forgetting) was piling into ice tunnels under the golf course in preparation to start fucking hard with either the golfer or the folks trying to do that.

It was overall hella' rad, with high octane platform exploration, regular fighting game brawls, and then mario party style interims with the weird minigame being more the side-game to a proper sports game on top. Looked like something that could legit sell well, like mario party crossed with smash brothers crossed with a metroidvania.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: October 23, 2021, 10:03:59 pm »

I had a similar dream the other night

I have been mildly ill recently, and consequently taking NyQuil to quell the symptoms long enough to actually fall asleep.

I didn’t take it one night and my brain evidently decided to do a mash-up of various video games I’d been playing, and I befriended a cheeky talking velociraptor that could go invisible while we hunted, and got hunted by, various things in a jungle for an indeterminate period.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4739 on: October 25, 2021, 05:22:59 am »

I dreamed I was attending a magnificently upscaled cathedral service somewhere in Caen in the far future. The walls were baroque limestone with sublime lighting and I saw so many familiar faces whose names I couldn't remember anymore. Everyone wore highly formal black tie dress or dinner gowns, even as the service was done and everyone dispersed. I walked up a pier where there was a sheer drop below; I climbed down a ladder where there was a vacant canoe. I rented it from a man for £14 who remarked that business was booming, I asked him where I should leave his canoe when I was done with it as I intended to use it to cross the channel. He gave me twin-headed paddle and remarked that he had a brother in redbridge I could leave it with. This didn't make too much sense to me, but I continued onwards anyways. The journey across the channel was far faster than I knew it had to be, though it was as choppy as I remembered. My canoe filled with water and my suit trousers & shoes were ruined with cold atlantic wash, though I remained buoyant. Continuing up the coast, passing by the seaforts, I found the Thames was far greater than I remembered. The flood barriers were gone and most of London was totally or partially submerged. I would paddle into a victorian building to find it derelict and damp. Others I would paddle in to find that the whole thing was full of masked people holding a fancy dinner, staring in confusion at my soaked and dishevelled state.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 339