Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 567338 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4530 on: August 11, 2020, 10:23:57 am »

Man, lots of layers to this one I just had.

It starts out, my friend and I are in an old, dirty city. (Why is it my most memorable dreams always have a city setting?) I want to say it's like Cincinnati, Ohio. I came to this determination in the dream. Lots of old, rusted ironworks everywhere like bridge trestles and stuff.

For some reason, we descend into the sewers beneath the city with a group of people like we're on a tour. (Again, my most F'd up dreams always seem to take place underneath cities.)

We come upon a chamber with some furniture set up like a hang out spot. In a moldy easy chair with yellow and brown plaid 70s upholstery is a goth kid. They've got long black hair hanging over one side of their face, and their one visible eye looks like it has those shitty Halloween contacts in, milky white with a black cat's eye.

And to the group I'm like "This is a goth kid. I used to hang out with Goth kids back in the day, sometimes in sewers" like they're an animal in a zoo and I'm the tour guide.

The goth kid begins to stir, and we notice they're in bad shape. There's like a bloody lesion around their neck. And as they start to move more, we notice more corruption on them. Their arm just kind of detaches like an overcooked chicken wing as they try to stand. We're all caught between feelings of revulsion and pity. They look like they need help but there's nothing we can do for them as they're literally rotting away in front of us. As they start to move toward us we begin backing away.

And that's when they slough off the last of their flesh, and beneath is a massive, grotesque spider. (For the record, I have a bit of arachnophobia.) We start fleeing but one of us (neither my friend nor I) don't make it and the Goth-sewer-spider catches up to them and, I imagine, devours them.

We flee back to the city streets but the weird train does not end there. We have a convention to go to, a political convention. It's right across the street from the sewer entrance but it takes a minute for us to locate it, and we almost mistakenly believe the entrance is back near the sewer we just exited (which we have no intention of going back to.)

The convention is set in a dumpy hotel with yellowed, smoke-stained walls. Inexplicably, it's a low-key Democrat convention. I know this because Hilary Clinton is in the crowd near the front, very low-key just there. There's some presentations that I felt had content but I don't remember clearly. Then at some point, some democrat political operative or senator makes some comment to me like "Nice of you to show up" or something like that in a really snide and condescending tone. I grab them by their blue tie, yank their face down to mine and hiss in his face "The party is doomed, and you're the reason for it" then let them go.

The meeting breaks up and some more psuedo-magical-dream stuff happens as we try to navigate our way out of the hotel, much of which I don't remember.

Now, maybe I'm sequence breaking my dream here, but after we leave the hotel, my friend and I are back in the sewers, except this time it's a big expansive vault. And we're engaged in some kind of mashup of Holdfast: Nations At War (basically period 18th century warfare) and Vermintide 2. He and I are both manning cannons but eventually switch to infantry, and I remember "holding the line" at a set of iron bars making a doorway, using a halberd to swat away waves of enemy soldiers to keep them away from the rest of our troops. That's why I say it was a mash up of the two games, because there were Napoleonic soldiers just piling through the doorway like they were rats in Vermintide, and me just cleaving through the lot of them with a Halberd.

Guess I'll add this to the pile of fucked up dreams I can actually remember.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:45:39 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: August 11, 2020, 11:40:14 am »

Maybe we should do an experiment: Reading the most recent dreams from here and thinking about them as we sleep, to see if we have similar dreams or not

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: August 11, 2020, 11:41:16 am »

"Active dreaming" seem to work for some people but I've never had any luck with it. Dwelling on something when going to sleep does not produce dreams about the topic, for me.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: August 11, 2020, 11:43:56 am »

"Active dreaming" seem to work for some people but I've never had any luck with it. Dwelling on something when going to sleep does not produce dreams about the topic, for me.
Same here, though it would still be interesting to figure out what thinking of another’s dream will cause your brain to create

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: August 12, 2020, 02:29:27 am »

Maybe a bad context for me to share an actual freakin nightmare, huh.  It was something else though...

Initially I was just hanging out with my brother, but happened to see my reflection in a wall mirror... except it was facing away, I was seeing my back.  It took me a couple seconds to realize what this meant (I don't remember), just in time to turn to my brother and see something that shocked me "awake" with a piercing screech.

Breaking through the sleep paralysis was extremely difficult, and my room was wrong.  It was more like a hotel room, and the door was hanging open in the gloom.  I felt my laptop but it was far too light, and the cord had wrapped around my next several times.  I removed it in a panic, crawling to my feet.  I couldn't remember what my home was supposed to look like, or what this place was.  I was whispering for help, wondering why nobody was investigating my screech.  I considered the possibility I was still asleep, but everything I touched felt so real.  I just couldn't remember...

Then I found a room full of mannequins on beds, which convinced me I was asleep.  It was creepy as hell and extremely frustrating though.  I started hurtling them around, trying to will myself awake.  It didn't work.

There was another mirror.  My reflection was correct this time - actually quite an ideal version of myself - but I barely had time to look, as there was someone about to grab me from behind.  I dodged and turn, only to see one of the mannequins lying on the ground much closer than it had been.  I glanced at the mirror and, sure enough, it shifted closer and wore a different face. 

I finally managed to nope the hell awake at that point.  The podcast I'd fallen asleep to had ended (why did I think that was a good idea??), but only about half an hour had passed since I'd looked at the clock.  So exhausted I dropped straight into REM I guess.  Welp, back to sleep - with no podcasts or bright screens this time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: August 12, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »

Out of curiosity, what was the podcast about?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: August 12, 2020, 03:55:18 pm »

Nothing really related, just Yahtzee Crowshaw doing a LP of a platformer he made.  It wasn't even a spooky one like 1213 or The Consuming Shadow, but a more cartoonish one called Poacher.  I just didn't want to be alone with my thoughts, had a bad feeling that turned out right.

I have no idea where the mannequins and mirrors came from besides pent up body issues, plus Fallen London I guess.  In fact being stalked by entities with... familiar and shifting faces is a pretty old nightmare of mine, just not for months.

Actually it makes plenty of sense.  I hung out with the old Skype group again the previous night and early morning.  Explains the amnesia, the confusion, the stumbling around... the fear of a social group, true faces obscured.  Partly paranoid and partly justified.  What a mistake that was.

I think I ended up sleeping from 5 to 7AM in addition to that cursed half hour.  stupid lawnmowers.  I won't have trouble falling asleep tonight though, should be easy to reestablish my schedule naturally.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: August 12, 2020, 04:03:47 pm »

Well I think you win the WTF dreams this week. Maybe.

Last night I also had really intense dreams again and they came on quickly and strong because I woke up from them only after an hour or so of being asleep.

I don't have as much clarity on this as the last dream but....

Basically I was driving, heading toward a well known intersection of my town. But across the intersection, the road twisted in unnatural, impossible ways. More disconcerting is that there were like...lights everywhere, that looked like little Jack O'Lanterns drifting to the ground. These glowing jack o'lantern lights were present somewhere throughout my entire dream.

I have a lot of car-related dreams and semi-nightmares, and they're usually about being unable to control a vehicle on impossible, rollercoaster like roadways.

This was different. I knew I couldn't drive these dream streets. So I stopped. I had my mom with me, and I think my brother. We stop off at what I remember being like a drive through diner like Sonic or something like that. There's two women there. Something something sex was somehow involved in maybe fixing my car problems, but it didn't happen. So I return to my vehicle and try to start it. It starts shaking and vibrating to the point it's literally coming apart, the actual paint of the car starting to flake off in to little particles. The tremors become so intense I think the whole car is going to explode. I get out. Maybe it did explode?

My mom then comes driving up in like an old mid 70s full size white sedan, like the big old Lincoln Continentals or w/e. Only it's beaten and dirty and rusted to shit. We're suddenly in her garage as she's pulling in, and she almost runs me over, to the point I have to dive to the side to not get hit.

Then, with the logic of dreams, we're suddenly back in the parking lot. Behind her big boat of a car, somehow, she's towing what looks like a mid 80s Toyota Supra or a Celica, a car I loved from my teenage years. I guess I'm driving this now! But I get in to it and it starts doing the same thing, vibrating, shaking, disintegrating all around me.

Things are blurry beyond that but basically the rest of the dream become this almost Halloween theme'd apocalypse.

What's so disturbing to me is I was dreaming my ass off but I was super close to the level of wakefulness at the same time. I woke from this dream almost immediately into full wakefulness. Not like a startled nightmare wake up but almost like a light switch had been flipped. And I hadn't even been alseep that long. That is not normal for me at all.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:23:57 pm by nenjin »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: August 12, 2020, 06:23:21 pm »

Last night I heard someone ask me if I could hear them, and tell me to listen, though the voice wasn’t familiar. My eyes were closed, but for all I know I was awake, I asked Mom if she heard anything and she said she didn’t. I don’t know if that classifies as a dream or not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: August 13, 2020, 09:31:36 am »

Perfectly normal dreams last night, thank god.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:44 am »

Same!

Driving dreams be like that, yeah.  Some metaphor about being out of control.  Usually I'm being driven by someone else (something I'm uncomfortable with IRL) but sometimes I'm falling asleep at the wheel.  Yours of the car being in disrepair, even literally falling apart is an interesting variation.

I kinda dreamed about my Skype group again but in a much better headspace.  We were getting ready for a Pokemon tournament/convention, and I was nervous and wanting to ask so many questions about how it would actually work.  What did I need to bring?  Social/event anxiety, but this time around they were supportive and reassuring (if a bit dismissive).  It was pleasant.

Later I got to compete in an obstacle course with a Super Famicon at the end.  It was supposed to be like that Olympic race where you shoot targets at the end, but I just kept rerunning the course part for a better time because... sometimes I feel like a fake nerd, heh.  And sometimes I over-exercise to calm my brain.
(why yes that is my standard for "perfectly normal", everyone had the right faces as far as I remember~  Probably faceless, I just wasn't worried about it)

Edit (8/14/20):  More mannequin stuff but not nearly as bad.  Mostly dream was about Umbrella Academy inspired supernatural agents teamed up in pairs who occasionally mindswapped at random.  If a pair of minds happened to stay together (despite being in new bodies) hijinks tended to ensue.  That was fun!

Then it was more like Might and Magic 6, I was guiding a big tough half-demon heroine through a maze of flames.  She had cool fire powers but everything was fire resistant, so it was a lot of MM6-style peekaboo fighting.  Eventually we got bored of chipping down a big devil and explored down a less-on-fire corridor, sidestepping a dragon (probably a direct reference to a certain nigh-invincible gold dragon in the Temple of Snakes).

So we came to a spooooky room with strange angles.  There was a spooky little girl straight ahead with the whole Japanese horror aesthetic, but she was just a distraction from also a pair of mannequins flanking the doorway.  An old lady sitting to the right, and one on a funeral bed to the left.  I wasn't particularly freaked out so the ambush failed, we just started clearing the room with little firebolts.

Of course it couldn't be that easy, could it?  Thanks to spooooky reality warping, the firebolt attack instead became little spheroids of negative energy we had to hold right up to the sitting lady doll.  It reacted really strangely to the sitting mannequin's eyes, and our hand got kinda stuck, and it was all so very spooooky, but we were winning and it was fine. 

Dream conquered, in other words.  They're usually not so bad when I'm able to face them head on.  Here I am awake at 4 again, but this time I really can just go back to sleep.

Edit2: Holy cow I managed a brief nap where I was raising orphans in my childhood home.  Naps are usually feverish when I can do them at all, this was pleasant.  It was snowing and my hands were cold... or just numb?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:50:41 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: August 15, 2020, 01:41:55 pm »

I dreamt I stormed out of work but my boss had installed soft-close glass doors which frustratingly refused to slam.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: August 15, 2020, 06:08:18 pm »

I remember dreaming I was watching some sort of conspiracy video where someone interpreted numbers as someone summoning Voldemort, and Voldemort teleported people to some sort of control room, don’t remember what kind of experiment the control room was for, but there was a girl with dark hair Voldemort was helping, who also wrote the numbers...it was weird, I eventually woke up to some noise

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: August 21, 2020, 09:14:53 am »

I had a very unusual sort of dream where an online content creator I greatly respect not only knew me, but was stalking me a bit.  To put it simply, a male yandare situation.  I was totally into it.  The attention was very flattering and his pushiness gave me direction (protip:  This is an absurdly dangerous dynamic, please be careful IRL)

Bonus:  He hacked my eyeballs to have AR vision!  I got to see cool minecraft blocks everywhere I went.  He had me run into a wall of them to show my trust.  It felt good to trust someone that much.

So yeah that was creepy in retrospect, but it didn't have some horrible twist ending.  It felt more like a poorly written romcon than intentional.  I think the eye thing was more from finishing Titanfall 2 a second time - that game puts a lot of emphasis on AR, invasive augmentation, and trust as a virtue.

I was just excited to get the API for my eyes and write myself some cool overlays, once he was finished augmenting my friend (a vampire?) so we could better fight Scarecrow.  Yeah suddenly we were crime fighters in Gotham I guess.  Fighting the master of nightmares, how nice~
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: August 21, 2020, 11:28:18 am »

This is probably a sign that your Parasocial Relationship has gone too far.
Which I get. The one time I had sleep paralysis, I experienced a youtuber I like being a shitter. :p
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 339