Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 567237 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4050 on: September 27, 2018, 10:49:17 am »

Anyway, the main thing I remember from this dream was my frustration at the weird guns I was having to use. They were primarily revolvers, but also could be - I thought the term was muzzle-loaded, but according to Google that refers mostly to artillery? Basically, you inserted the bullets down the barrel for some reason - but, since they were apparently very cheaply made or something they tended to buckle and warp after being used for a while. 
Nah man there are muzzle loaded revolvers, that's totally a thing! Your dream brain is on point. Both early firearms and artillery were mostly muzzle loaded until very recently (100 years ago), cartridge guns proliferated in the 19th century and that allowed breech loading designs to be more useful.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: September 28, 2018, 09:33:04 am »

I was attempting some sort of puzzle-gauntlet in modded Minecraft.  The solutions were usually tricks, like digging through a slightly discolored wall or discarding an item into lava.  In one beautiful nuclear reactor control room with a ton of dials and sliders, the trick was to turn around and see instructions which had been posted above the entrance on a simple sign.

My friends were playing too, though we were time-delayed to give the puzzle time to reset.  The friend ahead of me managed to solve the reactor puzzle without seeing the hint, but it took long enough that I started hitting puzzles before they had reset properly.  That was exciting at first, the feeling of victory, but then I kinda regretted missing out on figuring out the cool puzzles.

I think I was remembering playing Myst: Uru with that same friend a few years ago (Not many years.  Long after the original servers went down.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4052 on: September 28, 2018, 01:21:37 pm »

@LW: I only had time to read the last of those dreams just now, but it was fascinating, Terrifying, comedic and exciting in turns... nice! Could make for a good novel or film, even if I get the feeling the "finding a spooky notebook from future self" thing might be a bit of a cliche.
Somewhat disappointed my dream didn't have a haunted phone as well ;D

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:54 am »

Well, I guess you can't have it all.

In other dream-related news, I just fell asleep hopelessly early and have pretty much fucked up my current attempt at repairing my sleep schedule - I have now woken up after probably an hour or two of napping all up, and it is still three-quarters of an hour before my intended bedtime. Argh.
As if that wasn't bad enough I'm feeling a bit cold-ish, probably due to being cold in my sleep and making myself sick. Also I left my hearing aids in and my ears are feeling all congested. I was already feeling a bit unwell beforehand, hence this unintentional nap. Blehhh.

One silver lining, though, is that in the course of my jumbled, semi-feverish dreams I was introduced to the wonderful sport of nip-fighting.
Now, it occurs to my increasingly-awake brain that the following description of the sport may seem horrifically sexist. Well, what can I say? Dream-me was pretty horrified (as well as a li'l aroused) as the dream went on. My subconscious loves to fuck with me sometimes. Don't blame me, I didn't write the script.

Anyway, nip-fighting was televised in and from Japan (ofc) in a gameshow-like setting, and had its two lucky contestants get dolled up in reasonably scanty outfits (my friend who had decided to compete went with a very goth, black corset kinda get-up, which is believable at least) before affixing the provided spikes to their otherwise naked breasts, using specially-designed straps.
These spikes, which may have been bladed as well, bore a noticeable resemblance to the knives used in cockfighting, which is doubtless a deeply-buried memory that my subconscious dug up whilst searching for inspiration.

(Un)Fortunately I woke up just as battle was about to properly begin, possibly due to my fear for my friend's wellbeing or maybe just because my physical body was getting kinda sick and uncomfortable, lying there passed out on my bed, poorly-covered by a blanket with the overhead light shining into my eyes. Maybe a bit of both!
I'm pretty sure I was watching an old recording of the show, and my friend had already returned from her Japan trip (and was showing me the footage), so she was apparently fine at least. I imagine she would be quite amused by this dream.

Honestly, overall it's not that far-fetched as something she would be into, given the chance. She's apparently dabbled in that 'suspension' stuff before, and has a healthy appreciation for the combat arts. I doubt she'd be down for the "brutally gouging a near-total stranger with metal nipple attachments" part, though, at least not just to win a contest. :))
I think the dream was basically inspired by that, those cockfighting memories from my overseas trips years ago (not that I ever saw an actual cockfight), recent discussions in some wretched corner of the interwebs about fictional characters settling their differences via competitive mud-wrestling, and of course the occasional snatches of very real and very shocking Japanese gameshows.
Now I am kind of afraid to even ask whether Japan has any sports that are a close equivalent to nip-fighting. I wouldn't be all that surprised, really.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4054 on: October 03, 2018, 01:56:02 am »

I had a bizarre and surreal dream about working for a man called Captain Ramen who was operating a Chinese food empire.  The dream wasn't quite in chronological order so I didn't understand what was going on at first; it began with the ending, shortly after defeating an unnamed Master of Vines (the "vines" in question were actually a swimming pool full of noodles).  The Captain revealed that now that his two rivals were defeated, nothing would stop him from making the rest of the world his slaves.

There was then a flashback to the battle against his other rival, the Dugong, which was a literal dugong who lived in a lake full of soy sauce.  There was a jingle as well, but I forgot it.

The Captain was defeated by being drowned in the noodle pool.

I don't even like Chinese food.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: October 03, 2018, 04:46:42 am »

Last night had a dream where someone hired me over (maybe)Steam to kill somebody in real life. Arranged a meeting with the target to give them money to get them close enough to make the hit. Then they showed up at my house first thing in the morning, with several people as backup. Meanwhile I'm still drinking my coffee, no access to a proper weapon. Despite briefly considering using a kitchen knife against at least 5 people, I realize I'm completely screwed, and just hand over the money I originally offered. I woke up after sending the "I screwed up message" to the client, then nearly shitting myself again when I realize I sent the message to the wrong person, possibly the intended target.

Moral of the story: I'm a godawful useless hitman, and should never be employed as one.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: October 03, 2018, 05:02:46 pm »

I dreamed I was dreaming about playing a game of Minecraft made up of small chunks in a giant black void.

Darkness wolves may have been involved.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: October 04, 2018, 02:39:52 pm »

Dreamt I had a coat hanger jammed through my right ankle. That was the dream. You can't feel pain in a dream, but you CAN feel that-numb-and-sick-thing-you-feel-right-before-you-feel-pain in a dream.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: October 04, 2018, 11:18:19 pm »

You can't feel pain in a dream
I am honestly unsure about this. Freaking syringe assassin guy. That was not a pleasant experience.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: October 05, 2018, 07:28:56 pm »

Can't remember too much of this dream anymore, but I was watching a pro wrestling show and in one match a guy got his nose torn off and thrown into the crowd.
The announcer asked whoever caught it to bring to the entrance, and I think receive a prize? Anyway, somebody did and the dude whose nose it was calmly went off to have it sewn back on. He didn't seem too put out by it all.

Then the crowd started chanting, wanting his opponent (an over-the-top wild man, who thoroughly flipped off the crowd after entering the ring and seemed to incorporate a surprising number of throat punches into his fighting style) to fight some other wrestler next.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: October 06, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »

Last night was like dream after dream of utter bullshit. I first dreamt that i was asleep and woke up to a situation, i dont recall what, that was so ridiculous that it caused me to actually wake up and say "what the fuck was that about." Then next thing i know im watching a documentary about sea life and theyre like, giant parrotfiah are prized for the perfectly spherical ball of shit they hide under their tongue. If i recall the dog woke me up to go out there, and then after i got back to sleep it was a continuation of that dream but now they were talking about manatees and how they have to eat a sufficient amount of poop as it falls through the water column or they die or something. Which woke me up again. And that just kept happening all night long where id be having a stupid dream and suddenly id wake up. I feel like i hardly slept at all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: October 07, 2018, 09:20:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:34:34 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: October 08, 2018, 03:57:47 am »

I was living with my parents again back in our old house in Vegas, and my folks had just left to go pick up my cousin (and I believe a couple of my friends as well) for a party before we were all set to hop on a flight to... somewhere else.

So far so good, but then I realized that I was a girl.

I spent the interim flailing around clumsily (I have never been a girl before and am unused to the experience) while trying to find a pretty dress I could wear. Ended up snatching some old rag of my mom's that for some ungodly reason had like four different layers and some abomination of separate thumb and pinky sleeves which were entirely too long for humans.

I somehow managed to put the horrid thing on before realizing that it was back-to-front and inside-out. I heard my parents pulling into the driveway and full panic mode was promptly engaged as I tried to extricate myself from the devil-dress and shove it in a closet so nobody would see that I'd snatched it and was trying it on. Or, indeed, that they would notice the fact that I was a girl, which I'm not sure they were aware of.

I managed to fling the thing into hiding just as my mom brought my cousin upstairs so she could ask me if they could bring their new laptops (apparently my parents bought new laptops for everyone) onto the shuttle.

Wait, I thought, shuttle? As in space shuttle? And then I woke up.

It took me until later to realize that, since I'd just rescued myself from the dress Immediately prior to them coming upstairs, I was answering this question completely in the nude.

I suppose the takeaway from this is that female-me is actually pretty cute... Despite having dark hair and looking absolutely nothing like me.

Maybe because of that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4063 on: October 11, 2018, 02:51:28 pm »

I had an exceedingly pleasing dream wherein I was caring for some fish on behalf of a college; they had one particular large specimen which clearly should not have been there, even for research purposes. Besides one embarrassing instant where I kicked over a box of 40 pencils and the professor strained himself to pick them up before I rushed to help, the whole dream revolved around caring for this endangered fish. I did spend the hour before sleeping caring for one of my fishes, which I named 'shaky fin.' Shaky fin has no working swim bladder and should never have survived infancy, but is several years old and still going strong - he likes to rest on top of the water filter near the surface of the water. While he can't swim for long because he'll tire out, when he's not resting he can swim incredibly well.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: October 11, 2018, 08:49:42 pm »

Last night I had a dream where I'd been hanging out with an IRL friend who I don't know all that well, and have in fact met only once in person. The part I remember had me waiting in a car, stretching back as languidly as possible whilst trying to keep my pale upper-arm flesh out of the sun that was baking everything, while she and her sisters were off doing something.
We were parked in the town I grew up in, I'm pretty sure, outside Pearl Garden, the Chinese restaurant by the river.

Seemingly though, this dream was also simultaneously some sort of RPG. When they finally came back to the car (I can't remember what they'd been doing) I spotted a troll approaching in the distance and calmly asked the others if they had any fire magic.
We fled the car and were just walking about to keep ahead of this very slow-moving troll whilst trying to figure out a plan. My friend said she was actually two level-ups behind (I guess her class was wizard or something) and I urged her to just dump both into fire magic, but I got the feeling she saw that as poor roleplaying.

I woke up before the troll scene could come to a conclusion, though I think the dream continued in little spurts as I snoozed my alarms and went back to sleep repeatedly. If anything interesting happened, I don't remember.

Tl;dr: hanging out with an IRL friend I don't know too well, real life is also kind of an RPG, a troll attacks and I urge her and her sisters to dump all their accrued level-ups into fire magic.

Here's one from a couple of nights ago that I've been meaning to write up ever since.
I was playing a videogame, third-person and seemingly based on The Last of Us, but before long it shifted into immersive first-person anyway. I and a number of other folks were trained infiltrators/assassins, sent to sneak into some large fancy house.

I don't remember quite what our objective was, or even if we were all sent by the same people, but after a very tense moment after several of us had gained entry to the building, come across one another and levelled our guns, we came to the conclusion that we were probably on the same side and decided to team up.
I think it was a little bit like a stealth-game Battle Royale, where we were all just dumped out across a big map with our own, possibly conflicting objectives to complete.

Anyway, the person we were after (to kill, abduct or interrogate, I'm not sure) didn't seem to be home, though listening (with the TLoU mechanic, where you hold a button to crouch down and hear nearby enemies) showed us there were at least a few guards in the building.
The room we'd somehow wound up in had a cot in it, occupied by a baby. Apparently quite easily distracted, I went over and played with it (I'd put my guns away a while ago, don't worry), doing some kinda peek-a-boo stuff and then tickling it a bit, prompting it to laugh happily.
It was a heartwarming scene, well, about as heartwarming as possible considering I was some armed stranger who had stealthily broken into the house and the kid's parent was presumably my target. After a moment, though, the kid morphed into some strange aquatic creature, like some sort of mini-dragon thing, though it looked noticeably similar to some grotesque drawing of a duck-fish hybrid I drew on Drawception a while back.

Anyway, my team eventually decided to head down river via boat to a spot where the target's organization was apparently having some outdoor shindig, may have been a wedding or some shit I dunno. The kid-critter followed us, splashing through the creek as we went.
We managed to infiltrate the party without anyone suspecting a thing, somehow, and milled around whilst waiting for a glimpse of the guy we were after. I saw an IRL acquaintance on some TV screen and was distracted for a moment, and then woke up without anything more exciting happening.

Tl;dr: one of several assassins/spies/agents sent to a large fancy house to do something untoward to an important person, after brief standoff we decide we're on the same side and to work together, get briefly distracted by baby in a cot in the same room we were flashing guns around in, play with it for a bit and then it turns into some sort of water dragon, then we all head down-river to some party/event our target was supposed to be at and I wake up before anything exciting could happen.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 339