Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 569081 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3915 on: June 27, 2018, 12:44:37 am »

Can't recall much about my dream, but I do know that it was about some people in a multiplayer game (one of those small groups ones, like Left 4 Dead 2 or Warframe) who had to deal with someone who not only was attempting to impersonate one of their group members... but had the audacity to do so in that group member's presence.

Can't recall much, as I said.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:39 am »

@LW: oh man, the bizarre and perplexing shifts in environment, that used to be pretty much a trope in my dreams, haha.

Anyway I was tired and went to bed ridiculously early (RIP sleep schedule) and dreamt that I went to some overnight/multiple day D&D retreat which turned out to be basically a wild, drunken debauch with a bunch of (as far as I can remember) awesome people under the pretense of playing tabletop.   
Can't remember exactly what we played or what went on in the session, but I do know that I got roaring drunk and was blackout by the end of it.
Also got complimented on my roleplaying by one of the established regulars the next day, who also happened to be a total babe.

Jeez, brain, I know I'm planning on getting more into playing Dungeons and Dragons, but let's not create unrealistic expectations here! >:( :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: June 28, 2018, 02:38:51 pm »

Last night I dreamed that I was a research assistant in an underwater laboratory. The place itself was a jarring contrast of Rapture-esque art deco architectural styling and futuristic but utilitarian looking chrome steel furniture and equipment all over the place. Out the windows I could see huge numbers of weird alien fish swimming through a complex environment of rock, kelp-like plants, sea fans, and brightly colored stony corals, which must've been maybe 120 feet below the surface. Some looked more or less like Earth fish, albeit very primitive ones, but most of them were long and tubelike and swam by undulating rapidly, like sea snakes but thicker, and with scales like fish have and small fins throughout for stability. Some of these also had 'feathery' tails of external gills but most of them had these around the face like a mane. Why the lab had to be underwater is a mystery. Further out I could see the edge of the rock shelf we were resting on drop off sharply into darker waters. The room I was in was wide and tall, with a second level of catwalks and platforms above my head accessible by some plain looking metal stairs. Below me were a number of square holding tanks sunk into the floor with railings around them. Most were empty, but a few had various creatures from outside sitting in them awaiting study up above. I was walking around these tossing in food from a big cart. Most of them got a block of raw meat, but there were a few that got heads of lettuce instead.

After I was done feeding them, I took the big net hanging on hooks on the side of my cart and used it to fish out one of the creatures, about the same size as my leg. This one was more fishlike than some of the others, and it was fast and wary of the net but after a short period of frustration I eventually managed to capture it. I then carried it upstairs, where a pair of women in labcoats were waiting to take blood and tissue samples. The creature had gone stock-still, as almost all of them did when taken out of water, but was in no danger - apparently they could survive for several minutes out of water without doing them any real harm, and several hours otherwise with side effects. Anyway one of the scientists told me that they could handle it from here and told me to go get lunch, so I did. I was in a boring corridor about halfway between the lab area and the cafeteria when I heard an loud clang and felt the whole building shake. All the lights turned red and the hull breach alarms started going off. Lacking a better idea I continued on to the (empty) cafeteria at a quicker pace. When I got there it was just in time to see the very tail end of something enormous pass in front of the big window looking out over the edge of the shelf. Its scales were milk white crisscrossed at random with angry red lines, and trailing from the very tip was a long black feathery tail. Suddenly it jerked and I heard the same clanging sound again, and I realized that it was physically striking the station.

So after grabbing a bunch of energy bars I ran back to the laboratory area I'd started in since it was the physical center of the station, scarfing down the bars as I ran (dream logic.) There I saw that the specimens had taken over the first floor, moving between the different pools of water and whipping themselves around in a frenzy, attacking each other when they got too close. Some had also injured themselves trying to move along the metal mesh floor. The facility staff (8 people in total) were all waiting on the second floor looking terrified. One of them, another assistant, was pretty badly hurt. Apparently he was down on the first floor and got mauled by one of the specimens before he got himself to safety. They told me that the native creatures couldn't climb the stairs so we were safe for the moment, and that they'd been able to contact "coast defense" on our landline so help was on the way. I was apparently the only one who'd actually seen what was happening though, the rest thinking that there'd been a rockslide or earthquake. They didn't believe me when I told them what had happened. I tried to convince them to just look at the external cameras but they all refused. The dream sort of devolved into nonsense from there and only disjointed images remain.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:43:47 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »

I've always had very odd, yet vivid dreams. Here's my favorite one.

I started the dream laying on top of the windshield of my mom's truck, as it drove up a mountain. I knew nobody was driving the truck, but everything seemed to be going fine. The truck made all the turns it was supposed to without any problems. As I approached the top of the mountain, though, there was  a massive pile of dirt in the road. There was nothing I could do to stop the car in time, so I just laid back, as the truck ramped off the dirt, and began to flip down the mountain. Before I made contact with the ground, I closed my eyes.

Suddenly, I'm in the middle of a flat desert. There's nothing for miles and miles around, except for one movie theater with a huge cartoonish film reel as its logo, and a massive crowd facing the theater. Upon closer inspection, everybody in the crowd were exact copies of one of my buddies. I asked one of them what was going on, and he just shushed me. Immediately, one of my buddies at the front of the crowd grabbed a microphone to announce, "And now, the moment you've all been waiting for, QUENTIN TARANTINO!" I tried, but I couldn't focus on his speech, because it wasn't him that came to the stage. Instead, Mitt Romney began to go on and on about the difficulties of making a movie, and all of my buddies were eating it up. I tried to ask around, like, is that really Tarantino? But all of my buddies aggressively shushed me, so I stopped talking.

Suddenly, I'm in a bright blue cave, climbing down a vividly orange rope. There's a rat in front of me. I kicked the rat as hard as I could, and he sailed across the room.

And then I woke up, wondering why I hated rats so much.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: June 28, 2018, 09:34:54 pm »

Can't remember much of the dreams I had last night, but in one of them I had a horrifically distended nipple.
My left nipple was normal in size, while my right one was thickly swollen and jutted out for at least six centimetres or so. Also drooped a bit, since the dream at least attempted to emulate realistic nipple-physics. Then my giant nipple somehow unequipped the singlet I was wearing from within, forcing me to finally notice how weird my nip was looking before the dream could end.
No idea why I was wearing just a singlet. Especially to go out in public, to the shop to buy energy drink for a couple of friends who had taken me up on my offer to get them something from down the road. How strange.
Booze is Life for Yoink

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: June 28, 2018, 10:21:47 pm »

A couple nights ago I dreamt that I was a teenager among a group trapped in some sort of xenomorph impregnation ritual.  We were chosen for some kind of honor and taken to this strange compound built into a mountain, with huge rooms half carved out/half natural in layouts that didn't make any sense.  Treated to feasts and hyped up that we were brought there to do something big.  Somehow, I figured out ahead of time that we were meant to be some sort of sacrifice.  At least, I assume the purpose was sacrifice.  I don't really remember what the purpose of this was, or if that was something I even knew.

I just vaguely remember that background info.  The stuff I really remember is the intense survival bits.  We were hung by our wrists inside these tubes that dangled from the rock ceiling.  After the adults left, I shouted out to the others what we were really there for, and directions on how to have a chance at surviving what was about to happen.  Then the tubes filled up with stuff.  If I remember right, we were immersed in a thick, viscous liquid that battered us around forcefully.  We had to hold our breath for a couple minutes.  If any of it got in our noses or mouths, we'd be infected with a xenomorph.  Then, it receded... strangely not leaving us wet.  And we were dropped like 20 feet to the rock floor.  The other handful of kids flocked to me after picking themselves up, scared shitless and expecting me to have the next move.  Then one last guy dropped down out of his tube as an alien was bursting out of him, and we realized the cavern was dotted with eggs.  The cavern was open to the outside on one end, but it was also huge.  Don't remember much after this, other than there was a long, tense scene of quiet cat and mouse with this xenomorph as we scattered and tried to visually cue to each other when to dart from place to place within this rocky environment, without getting caught or disturbing the eggs.  I think we were just beginning to encounter facehuggers when my alarm went off.

On waking, I found the dream fascinating, and really wanted to get back to it :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: July 02, 2018, 01:01:09 am »

I dreamed of a sideways world, an emotional jungle.  A clash of teeth...
Alice: The Dream Rekindled, was in my head and my mind.  Nowhere Man.
Nonsense.  So much nonsense.

I can't remember it, and I hope I don't remember it tonight.  It haunts me even now, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3922 on: July 02, 2018, 03:49:14 am »

Today's dream was utterly incoherent mess. A crazed zealot was commanded by a statue of Sonichu (with blue arms) to hunt down a clique of immortals, who in order to remain immortal, had to leave themselves defenceless every year in rejuvenation treatments. The dream was 99% Davinci Code and Sonichu memes

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: July 02, 2018, 11:10:46 am »

Hehe, Sonichu.  And Alpha Centauri, maybe?  Unless that happens in the Davinci Code, I haven't seen it :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:44:33 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: July 02, 2018, 04:35:35 pm »

Had a dream that I was fighting xenomorphs, in the fairly usual manner.  That is, I have to make the gun sound effects with my mouth or it won't shoot, and it's clearly me inside of a first person shooter where I can pause the game and exit it if I want to.  Anyway, at some point earth elementals (just random big mud people) started to appear for some reason, and while I thought that was peculiar at first, I ended up brushing it off after I shot a few of them.

The dream seamlessly transitioned into one where I was responsible for building basements in skyscrapers for the real estate company that my company is partnered with (we provide internet services).  For some reason they decided that they didn't need the basements anymore, so I had to fill them with cement.

Surprisingly, no xenomorphs showed up during that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3925 on: July 02, 2018, 05:21:14 pm »

Hehe, Sonichu.  And Alpha Centauri, maybe?  Unless that happens in the Davinci Code, I haven't seen it :P
I reckon you're right about the Alpha Centauri influence, though I didn't see it at first - the immortal clique of leaders were the kinds that had played bureaucratic wars against one another from medieval to modern times

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: July 05, 2018, 04:25:38 am »

I dreamed of a sideways world, an emotional jungle.  A clash of teeth...
Alice: The Dream Rekindled, was in my head and my mind.  Nowhere Man.
Nonsense.  So much nonsense.

I can't remember it, and I hope I don't remember it tonight.  It haunts me even now, though.
You really have to lay off the prisoner's honey.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: July 05, 2018, 04:51:33 am »

Fakedit:  Uhhhhhh wow that's some weird timing.  (also I was typing this for half an hour?  okay)

I dreamed I traveled to another dimension where humans were novelties, and the overlord of that place was a campy theater guy who insisted I put on a show for his people.  (Thor Ragnarok guy, but more ZEX/PT Barnum than gladiator combat)

There were two stages, on opposite sides of the audience, suspended high in the air over a network of low-gravity girders.  The idea was to travel between by leaping and flinging oneself along the girders under the stage and audience.  The duality and inconvenience of having the audience turn around was just a normal part of art, here.

A tower of further girders also extended up to host the Impresario/overlord's perch.  He started building up my entrance, while I searched through crates of costumes in both of the backstages.  There was one particular real-life shirt that I thought would really help make my "performance" at least tolerable.  I say "performance" because I was basically a carnival show- no wonder the shirt I wanted was my only openly gay one, which I basically don't wear.

Well, I couldn't find it.  I missed my cue, and the Impresario started stalling as I launched myself back and forth through the girders, searching.  After a few minutes he was out of material, and the show was ruined.  By the time I got on stage, the audience was gone, and he was bitterly talking directly to me.  I shrugged and said I'd never pretended to be a performer - but then I saw the rot overtaking the girder network.  Rot's the wrong word...  Large chunks were just disappearing, fading into nonexistence.  Power conduits flickered out, and the open sky darkened as the dimension died.  I offered my condolences, which were sarcastically accepted.

I woke up about 7 years ago living at my Gma's house, where she was cheerfully serving breakfast.  The food somehow represented the remnants of the dead dream, tasteless and unnourishing, but she didn't seem to notice it or my melancholy.  She was quite happy with her religious faith instead.  I shook the dream from my head as I left for work, waking up for reals.

It's just before dawn, and the birds only started singing as I typed this.  Enough time for a nap, maybe.

Edit:  I napped some quick thing about being a female police officer eating lunch with my daughter in a diner, and getting cheesily hit on by a sleazy Danny Devito type.  And being into it except my daughter was like, right there, so trying to get him to leave while hinting that he should come back.
Also then that same character survived a fiscal apocalypse and led a rebellion against something or other, maybe aliens?
Edit2:  I was divorced, by the way.  Polyamory's a nice idea but I don't like cheating.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:20:21 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: July 05, 2018, 10:56:01 pm »

Last night I dreamt that Donald Trump was the mayor of Melbourne, and was shot by a gang of teddy boys who turned out to also be radical feminists. He survived due to apparently being part-cat, and having not just nine but eighteen lives.
A stranger on the bus told me this, so who knows how much of it was true, but she was pretty cute so I woulda believed most anything she said.
Shortly afterwards the bus spun out of control after being hit/barely missed by some crazy driver, and it spun around and around and around, its weight struggling against the intense force of its spin and momentum, whilst I held on to my seat and hoped (I don't remember being overly worried either way) that the bus wouldn't tip over and potentially kill us all.
Eventually, the bus came a stop, still upright, then after a brief pause continued driving and at that point I woke up.

The night before that I had dream that involved me playing a game that, according to the note I hastily scribbled on a noodle cup before going back to sleep, was basically a mixture of Battlefield, World of Tanks and Rocket League.
As far as I remember it was as strange and awesome as it sounds.

At one point this highly aggravated guy joined the pre-game lobby I was in, complaining loudly about how bad most players were. He informed us that in a recent match he'd even had to splash some money in the game's cash shop in order to have a chance at winning (or at least preserving his stats despite his incompetent teammates), and implored us to be less useless.

For some reason, instead of failing purposely to piss him off after that (I was on his team), dream-me decided to actually play well to give the guy a break.
I remember little of the game's actual mechanics, but there was tank warfare (with multiple players crewing a tank, I think), fairly standard on-foot shooter action (though you could throw weapons back and forth between teammates, which was interesting) and at least one high-speed Rocket League kinda bit which had you speeding through a war-torn forest at the start of a round, driving through transparent markers to power up your team somehow. I'm honestly not sure if you were driving some very, very strange tank for those parts, or what.
Booze is Life for Yoink

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: July 05, 2018, 11:08:30 pm »

Honestly, Rocket league with realistic speed WWII tanks sounds like it would be funny (Please note I've never played or watched rocket league and thus know only a little bit about it)
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 339