Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 567277 times)

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:VULPINE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #1230 on: December 27, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »

(sorry for doublepost) but then I woke up :(
Then I fell asleep again and had a dream I was Tetsuo in Akira. I woke up after the part where Tetsuo has the toy nightmare thing.
I WILL BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 28, 2013, 01:21:39 am »

That's fucking epic, comrade.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 28, 2013, 07:22:02 am »

I dreamed that the next Dwarf Fortress version was released, but it was a pre-release. The version was 0.36.01pre7 and I couldn't download it, you had to play it in a browser from the Bay12 servers. The main menu had some sweet graphical effects. Some menu items didn't work yet, but you could zoom in on the world map and the little villages would fold away and show little houses and citizens when you got close enough.

The worst part was that I woke up and realized that it was just a dream, but then I immediately fell asleep again and dreamed the same thing, so I thought that it wasn't a dream after all. That happened twice. Stupid brain.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »

Has anyone had dreams where they actually felt pain? The only one I can properly recall is the one where I was diving in a flooded city and someone else in scuba gear shanked me in the chest.
I once had a fairly terrifying dream, which towards the end I tried to scream but couldn't. I woke up with a jaw that felt half numb, half sore, like I had opened my mouth wide and then tensed up my facial muscles for several seconds.
I don't feel like writing up the dream right now, but I might have written about it elsewhere. I'll go look for that, and if I can't find it I'll right it up later.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 29, 2013, 02:49:08 pm »

i concur if you feel pain in a dream, your palm is bigger than your face, which means goats eats doughnuts, and, hey, look, the word gullible is on the ceiling, i made a pie for you but i ate it. it makes perfect sense!!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 29, 2013, 03:15:13 pm »

Sensations you feel in the real world can have an impact on what you dream. The dream might not be the direct cause of the sensation, but it could seem like it.

EX: Someone dreams they're getting a needle jabbed in their arm, complete with the pain. Wake up to find their cat's been licking them on the arm for a while.
EX2: Person puts in plastic retainers for the first time. Dreams that their teeth are falling out, complete with toothache. Wake up to have their mouth sore from the retainers. This example was actually a personal experience.

Dreams can be weird like that.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 29, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »

your explanation is better than mine.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1237 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »

Has anyone had dreams where they actually felt pain? The only one I can properly recall is the one where I was diving in a flooded city and someone else in scuba gear shanked me in the chest.
I've had dreams where all the teeth in my mouth fell out as if their foundations didn't exist, and I was spitting what felt like rocks, only to learn they weren't rocks. Oddly enough, getting used to that pain in the dream got me ready for when one of my teeth gave up the ghost eventually (with the assistance of a wisdom tooth providing extra pressure from the sides); or at least the decaying process before the dentist could do some work on it. Kudos to the dream, however, I feel any difference in my mouth when eating food or snacking, I make sure it's not a fragment of tooth.

I think I've had dreams in the past referring to past lives. My face got dealt a serious hit sometime ago, and knocked a fair amount of my teeth away (same ones that are falling out of my head IRL while at it), I think I had my arm bit off by something big too, considering all my shoulder pains, and a lack of dexterity in it (it's more my power arm for lifting things, or delivering a powerful punch); be it an animal fed on it or it was pinched off by a closing door or something, and mighty dully too while at it (worse off, I survived the ordeal, and I think I even incinerated the wound shut within the next 30 seconds of it happening; that wasn't the comfiest idea I came up with, seeing as I could still feel it), so it was not a clean removal either, and my lower right leg, from kneecap downward also got crushed or eaten as well; I think my back also took a blade to it on top of whip lashes (POW? Slave? Whatever I was then, I was badass for still moving after that level of pain; reminds me of my great ancestor, who I'm not kidding, won some good land by a technicality by "being the first to touch it", and chopping off his freaking hand and tossing it past his competition. In honor of them, our family crest has a bloody hand on it). As far as I can recall from those dreams and present day, I must've died in a glorious battle in the past that led to a one-on-one duel. I may have been the bad guy then, I don't know. Those were some gnarly wounds I got in the dreams, and I can still feel some of the phantom pain while awake. Strangely enough, I think I had more limbs, because while on the note of phantom limbs and pains, I feel like I had wings in one of my past lives, as if the classical angel form was a possibility; why I feel what amounts to 4 wings, and a few more arms than I need, I don't know, I could have been an alien or an angel or something. Humans are not normally built that way.

Based on that kind of dream, or hell, any other dream I've had, I believe aliens exist, and that they're beyond our expectations. Sorta following a theory I had about or recent visitors (little grey sectoid-like dudes): They're none more than drones, but the specialized kind that need a vehicle to carry them, UAV, of course. In a sense, they could be exploring, or with how much potential history we may already have about them, they could also be using avatars to hide their true nature from us. Now, the creatures I was fighting in some of my dreams and such, they seemed to have evolved similar to us at a societal level, but biologically, they're freakshows. They resemble the creatures described in the bible as angels more than the classic interpretation of a dove-winged/bat-winged being, though such adaptations/modifications on humans isn't as far-fetched. Let's say it's hard to punch something in the face when it has more than it needs, even harder to attempt to sucker-punch one.

Spoiler: For example... (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
I must've been a saint or something in the past, looking back at those dreams; closer to a warrior-class saint. I do recall in one of my dreams wearing a pretty badass set of armor that was called "The Four Gospels" (written in a language I've never seen before, but I understood what it was labeled immediately ('The Gift of Tongues' as a second-language? Basically, watching exorcisms is like watching God deal with a spoiled brat in a supermarket that wants candy or a toy, but is told "no". Brings a new light to some of those, and why demons seem so childish with their possessions and behaviors when being exorcised)).

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:41:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 30, 2013, 01:40:46 am »

your explanation is better than mine.

I wasn't trying to compete for an explanation or anything. Just mentioning something I've noticed from a couple past experiences.

I've never experienced a dream that caused me prolonged pain in real life for no reason that couldn't be explained as a coincidence. I have felt pain in dreams that was completely fictional though. It's not that far-fetched. Considering there's mental feats such as lucid dreaming, forced day dreaming, and mental imagery, the human brain making itself think it's feeling something real--in this case something causing pain-- that is actually pure imagination is believable.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 30, 2013, 05:33:42 am »

In my dream, we just moved into a new apartment and went to check our basement, which turns out was a storage room for a nearby shop. We got into argument with shop owners and they left for a while and I began to look around the basement.

I found a diary that belonged to the shop owner's grandfather who also owned the shop previously. I began to read it and soon it turned up to be a thrilling story:

His diary mentioned the country of Charkov that in 1968 began expanding onto Galia, Franconia and even the elven territories due south, but by 1975 the new Great Charkov was ravaged by independence movements and rebellions everywhere. That year was also the end of the diary entries but it didn't seem like the grandfather have died or anything.

So obviously I went to Charkov to search for the old man. Whilst there, I devastated Yanukovych's election poster, threw few rocks at the passing-by trucks, then passed-by my old high school friend, then caught a bus and went on to search for the shop owner's grandfather who could tell me more about the war-time Charkov.

Only then I noticed that the bus took me back home and I returned to my family where we grumbled together about the shop owner who didn't want to share the basement with us and called for court action because my mother sold half of the shop items in the basement for money.

That's when I woke up :v
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:35:57 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 30, 2013, 07:52:18 am »

Last relatively meaningful dream that I can remember was set in the future. Someone activated a terraforming device on Earth, as the result, the climate has gone haywire. Belarus and probably the entire Europe was turned into a desert. Enormous dust storms raged everywhere, blocking out the sun.

I was loitering around in a boarded building of my university, looking for a time machine (?). In the street, there was a shootout between the remnants of the local police and some other people (?). Eventually, I found the machine and went forward in time.

I found myself several hundred years in the future. Apparently, attempts to reverse the catastrophic climate change caused by the terraformer had spectacularly failed, and all the landmasses of the world were flooded. Giant mangrove jungles covered the place which used to be Europe.

People lived in giant floating platforms that were conveniently located at the locations formerly occupied by old towns and cities before the disaster. I was on some sort of a space station overlooking Earth. After wondering what could have caused such a disaster, I boarded a shuttle bound for my home city (or, more specifically, a floating city located in the same place). Once the shuttle began to land, a plasma bomb (?) went off in the city, destroying half of it. The shuttle was hit by the shockwave and crashed.

I can't precisely remember what happened next. The rest of the dream, if I recall correctly, was about a family who lived in one of the floating cities and was on the run from some sort of monastic order or other militant religious organization.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 30, 2013, 02:15:32 pm »

I dreamt that everyone was fighting, just ferociously and crazily like animals. Above there was a giant white flower heavy with dew and drooping over the battlefield. It was dark with no sky or horizon but lit with one stark white light that really just splashed light onto the tops of the fighters below. As the flower drooped lower and lower all the dew coalesced into one great gleaming drop, and when the flower drooped so far the dew touched the melee below, it sent a ripple out like it had touched a pond. The dew drop vanished and the flower sprang up out of sight and everyone immediately stopped fighting and became illuminated from below with a healthy light, and became friends, and dawn came.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 31, 2013, 04:12:43 am »

So I think I just videogamed a nightmare, as in, freaked the fuck out at first before realising it's kinda similar to Alan Wake in some aspects. So I narrated the damn thing and played trough it, waking up only at the end when I finished it so to speak by beheading the damn thing that was chasing me.

I also remember fiddling with the options so that I could see what was going on several times as well as pausing and doing other dreams or something :O
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 03, 2014, 07:23:30 pm »

I had what was nearly indistinguishable from a full lucid dream, without a rapid waking up for once, aside from my apparent inability to spawn a cutebold or a holographic design chamber for said cutebold. ONE DAY, BRAIN!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »

Maybe try easier stuff, like walking around and choosing which rooms you go into. Move on to a conversation with a person you know well. Maybe flying?

I haven't had a lucid dream that I remember, but sometimes I dream that I can make very long and high jumps. I remember feeling vertigo and being afraid that landing would hurt, but it didn't.

Also haven't ever had a flying dream that I can remember. But the jumping is very close.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 339