Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 568037 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #1095 on: August 16, 2013, 04:30:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a pretty badass dream. I love the Bolivian Army Ending... dreams seem to like doing stuff like that. :)

During my 12-hour sleep last night I dreamed of something I can best describe as a huge, laser tag overlaid/virtual reality game.
My best friend and I were playing some sort of game, somewhere between real life lasertag and a FPS. We and our team mates were fighting and killing the enemy in some strange world were lasertag players were hired by real corporations to fight against their rivals.
The dream seemed to wander between people getting shot, pretending to die and then returning to their base, to people actually being killed and respawning. It was very confusing... the dream seemed to blur the line between killing someone in the game and killing them for real, especially since the game took place in real-world environs.

I woke up as my friend and I were marching along some disused train tracks in a tunnel towards our objective. We'd been hired by some railway company to prevent an attack by a rival company, and I was fantasizing about the battle to come, planning to kill the first enemy saw by driving my knife into their gut.
At that point dream-me started to wonder just how that worked- we might have been armed with laser tag weapons, but a lot of those people still seemed pretty dead... and we still had combat knives and such, so just what was going on?

I think that inconsistency might have been what woke me up. :P Oh well, it was a fun dream.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 16, 2013, 05:23:51 am »

You only thought that the weapons were toys. That was just a ruse they were using to try and have mercenaries who are far more willing to kill.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 16, 2013, 06:30:54 am »

Yeah... certainly a chilling hypothesis.
Makes the dream seem even better. I remember my dream self doing various risky things because "I'd just respawn anyway". Not to mention all the people I killed in the course of the dream, obviously. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 16, 2013, 07:58:19 am »

After having several nights of happy, but nonsensical, dreams, I had one that wasn't quite so happy. I was at a house with a bunch of people who don't exist in real life, but were my friends in the dream. In particular, there was one woman I seemed to be around a lot. I'm not sure if I liked her romantically or if we were lifelong friends, but for the sake of the dream she was important to me. Anyway, we're all hanging out and slowly, the world is getting darker. We get uneasy, as it's not close to night, and eventually we start to plan taking action. The dream then fades into nothing but a vague sense of urgency, with no visuals I can remember, and eventually it fades back into a visual dream. Some cataclysm had happened, and now I am part of apparently the last civilization alive. I find out that I had somehow became a sort of champion for the people, as I had a wide variety of weapons and suddenly was very skilled at using them. The woman had somehow became a figure of status, and was the leader of the town. However, eventually it somehow becomes thought that the cataclysm was my fault. It may have been true. Soon, a mob forms and tries to hunt me down. I ended up being chased out a town by a hail of bullets, and then I stop outside of the town and that woman comes alone, delivers a short speech, and tries to kill me. We fight, and eventually things somehow get reset to the mob forming. This happens several times, but each time I can't beat her, maybe because I don't want to hurt her any more. But I am stuck in this endless loop, and I only see one way to get out.  As I run into the hills outside of town where I usually stop running, I take my place behind the peak of the hill. She shows up, as she always does, and instead of waiting for her to find me as usual, I take a high powered rifle and shoot her in the head. At this point, I wake up.

This was really not a great dream, but it's not the first of its kind. Every now and then, I'll have a dream like this where there will be someone I care about, and either I'll be forced to kill them or I won't be able to prevent their death. They all sort of have a sense of "fate" around them, as if that other person is basically already dead, it's only a matter of time and there is actually a feeling of a more powerful being that, for whatever reason, makes it so that it is predestined for that person to die.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:00:14 am by Squill »
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 16, 2013, 11:59:42 am »

I had a dream that one of my friends played Elder Scrolls Online and it was terrible. I didn't actually see any gameplay, but I asked them about it and that was their opinion.

Then I had a dream where my roommates were enlisting my help in waking up some small animals. I really can't remember the species - it might have been squirrels or ducklings or something. But there were a bunch of them and they had to wake them all up at the same time for some reason, so I got on one side and my friend got on the other side and we spooked them awake. Then I woke up.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 16, 2013, 07:43:00 pm »

She shows up, as she always does, and instead of waiting for her to find me as usual, I take a high powered rifle and shoot her in the head. At this point, I wake up.

Stuck in an infinite loop until you finally give in and kill that which you love. That is some powerful stuff right there.
...Damn, I love reading people's dreams. :D This is fascinating.

I had a dream last night that I can only describe as "lazy". As in, my dream would go out of its way to not render things which would take a good deal of effort to imagine. Then again I only remember part of it, towards the end, and I believe it was my earlier-in-dream-dream-self imagining something, so... I guess I should cut my subconscious some slack.

I was visiting America for some reason, and chatting to Vector. I never actually saw Vector, she was standing sort of to my right and behind me, having just stepped out of a shop- only occasionally glimpsed in my peripheral vision(lazy dream). I just knew who it was for some reason.
I was holding a plastic cup of takeaway coffee and rambling on about something-or-other, probably the reason why I was visiting America(I think I was doing some sort of 'road trip' visiting various Bay12ers, but I can't remember). Then I commented on how beautiful the view was- I was standing on a sidewalk/old-fashioned boardwalk, looking up over the street towards a big, lush green valley framed by a deep blue afternoon sky. The colours in the landscape seem kinda over-saturated and exaggerated, looking back, and various buildings in the valley were visible behind and above the line of shops on the street.

I said, "we don't have buildings like that in Australia," and started rambling on about the classic Architecture on display-- despite the fact that I couldn't see any particularly interesting houses in this scene(lazy dream), and at least one of them (painted bright green for some reason) suspiciously resembled one of the 'Queenslander' houses in my area(lazy dream). I actually referred in particular to one building up the road in the town I was in, giving a brief description of it and how amazing it was despite not having actually laid eyes on it in the dream(lazy dream).

After that I vaguely remember going/planning to go to visit some old, historical gas station in the area, that had apparently belonged to an associate of Bonny and Clyde's during their crime spree. I remember what inspired me to visit it- a mention on a Wikipedia page saying "still standing". :P It would be quite amusing if that was what prompted my entire trip to the US.

...Yeah, that's all I remember. I know there was a lot of stuff happening earlier in the dream, (this part was apparently just the imaginings of my dream self, after all,) but I don't remember a thing. I suppose it was sort of interesting, purely for being a dream (the gas station visit) within a dream (talking to Vector) within a dream(whatever went on earlier).
Maybe Vector was trying to pull some Inception-type stuff on me? :P I've had a couple of dreams involving Bay12ers in the past, can't remember them now, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 16, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »

I like how it seems like your dream couldn't actually be arsed to do it's job properly.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 16, 2013, 08:34:56 pm »

Yeah, usually my dreams are quite detailed, with everything justified and well thought out- even if they do follow dream logic.
This dream cut corners all over the place. :P Maybe I wasn't tired enough or something...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »

My dreams are either half-assed or they give me all the detail they can. Even if they give me a lot of detail i usually don't remember it in the morning, for example in my previously mentioned dream i can vaguely remember that i had an entire history with the girl i shot in the head i just don't remember most of it. Other times my dream is "you are in this building. Those guys out there? Kill them".
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:38 am »

Had an odd dream that was memorable.

Started off with me deciding to play that "fake gun shooting" game pretty much every boy has to play at some point in their childhood. The whole fingergun, pretend a stick is a machinegun, pow pow thing.

For some reason, I was doing this in a high school, at my own age which is completely past that childhood point, with a stick I had modified to snap open like a double-barreled shotgun. Obviously, this was doomed to go terribly wrong, as me running around with a gun-like object making totally realistic shooting sounds with my mouth freaked everyone out. People started screaming about a school shooting and stuff, self-righteous people start mobbing me so others can run away, stuff like that.

Then this one preppy super-popular jock decides he's going to save everyone. He proceeds to walk up to me, and shoot me in the shoulder. Point-blank, just walks up and pops a 9mm cap in my shoulder from a 9mm Beretta pistol he got from somewhere. He literally plants the barrel against my shoulder like it's a tazer or something, and even says "Stop right there!" before shooting me.

At this point I go batshit crazy. The angriest I've ever been at anyone, --I'm pretty much seething with uncontained rage--and start ranting at him and everyone around me about how blindly stupid they are, following the mob and thinking I had a gun and not stopping to actually think for themselves. Yell at the prep jock for his dumbass hypocritical moral superiority that using a gun to stop another guy causing panic at a school for having a gun is absurd and should only add to the panic factor. Also it's stupid because said guy causing panic had no gun at all in the first place worth panicking over.

I was pissed as hell. I promptly tore the bullet out of my shoulder with my bare hand and threw it back in prep jock's face while calling him, his family, and all his beloved, social and always happy friends--which he valiantly tried to protect--a collection of obscenities incorporating the f-bomb and wishing them all to die in a hole before going off to play "cowboys and indians" with myself somewhere else.

Then I woke up, thinking how crazy of a dream that was.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:03:32 am by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 17, 2013, 02:53:16 pm »

I think that the anger may well have been delusionary bloodloss. People tend to lose some mental capacity after losing the type of blood you lose from a bullet wound.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 17, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

I think that the anger may well have been delusionary bloodloss. People tend to lose some mental capacity after losing the type of blood you lose from a bullet wound.
That makes sense, but considering that this was a dream I don't think I would've considered that because "DREAM LOGIC". I think I was more upset over the concept that people are freaking out over a guy with a stick "shooting" everyone, while the anonymous super-popular jock that everyone popular knows and loves gets away with shooting a Berretta pistol with no consequence whatsoever because "herp derp he's popular and saving our lives, he's so heroic brah" and it was just a hypocritical and petty popularity contest.

The bullet wound was just a thing. Considering I just popped the bullet right back out easy as pie, threw it back at the shooter, and walked off to go play other imaginary games without seeking medical help whatsoever I think I was less concerned with realistic medical logic.

And all this over a misunderstanding. It was so silly and stupid. Imagine a kid with a broom handle making "pew pew" noses and in response a SWAT team swoops out of nowhere and tackles the kid, and everyone praises the SWAT team for their heroic efforts. The SWAT team gets medals and ribbons and statues in their honor, all for tackling a kid with a broom handle, who everyone else fully believes is a dangerous terrorist; only the kid knows that he's just a kid with a broom handle, but he can't get anyone else to believe him because he's been set up as the villain.

Dream logic can do silly things. Like riding a t-rex across the milky way in pursuit of the flounder queen of Atlantis.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 17, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »

I once had a dream where I was vacationing in a foreign country (India?) with a friend and had my throat cut by a prostitute in the run-down, beautiful old hotel we were staying in. I was rather upset about this, but somehow I still had time to run away, out of the hotel, track down my friend to get my mobile phone from him, and call a taxi.
Then after a wait I hopped into a taxi, still clutching my bleeding throat and getting a lot of strange looks but apparently not dead yet, and went on a bumpy car ride through a bunch of fields to the nearest hospital.

:o I dunno. That was a strange dream. I'll have to check if I wrote it down somewhere.
I found it amusing how my "grievous mortal wound" was progressively downgraded throughout the dream, with dream-me wondering why I wasn't dead yet.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 17, 2013, 08:46:50 pm »

I hate getting my throat cut in a dream, it's so incredibly uncomfortable. Not that i want to get my throat cut in reality or that i think it would feel any better.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 18, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »

I had a dream which was overall not noteworthy, but my god did it piss me off.
It woke me up really early morning with a mosquito noise right by my head. The noise was in the dream but I woke up due to flailing my arms around in half-awakeness.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 339