Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mace vs Hammer  (Read 7036 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Mace vs Hammer
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:48 am »

RAWRBLARG USE MODDED WEAPONS BLARG XD

But yeah if you know how to do it, modded weapons are crazy awesome, like the bladebow, its a crossbow that doubles as an axe...and I put a bayonet on it too, just because :P

Hell if I knew how to do it, I would prob make a hammer out of MAGMA.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:04 am »

The pick idea is very nice indeed, I kinda like the grey color of recruits so if they stay grey that would be awesome. I also very much like the idea of miner warriors, though isn't there somesort of conflict with miners in military?
They'll stay recruit-gray until they get at least Novice level in some unarmed combat skill.
If you have a dwarf who has the mining labor active and has a pick assigned in the militia, there are uniform issues, although there are also workarounds.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:13:16 am »

I've noticed in my mixed master squads, Mace Lords walking off with the most killing blows... *shrug*  Also, there is less body parts to pickup afterwards.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 10:28:36 am »

Blunt weapons are good at stealing kills. Someone else incapacitates the goblin, the macelord crushes its skull.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:25 am »

What's wrong with pink?  Real dwarves wear pink.  It's the color of blood mixed with grizzly bear bile.  Only the ammer dwarves are hardcore enough to drench themselves in it.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25:07 am »

What's wrong with pink?  Real dwarves wear pink.  It's the color of blood mixed with grizzly bear bile.  Only the ammer dwarves are hardcore enough to drench themselves in it.

That über-bright flashing pink thing is one of the ugliest things in DF. The contrast difference to all the other darker tones is just headbursting :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:18 pm »

The answer here, of course, is to simply make everything that is pink in the game blue.

[LMAGENTA_R:0]
[LMAGENTA_G:0]
[LMAGENTA_B:255]

In the colors.txt file in data/init.

Hell if I knew how to do it, I would prob make a hammer out of MAGMA.
One of the biggest things that I miss from back in 40d was the ability to mod weapons to use COLD or BURN as damage types. Now the only way to have temperature based weapons is to do some clunky workarounds to "arm" your dwarves with the ability to perform interactions that damage you enemies through superheated venom or whatever.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:50 pm »

Picks are nice even if you don't quick-train the skill by digging up stairs and then removing those up stairs. Good edged attack, no blunt attack. Probably the best weapon to make from adamantine, and if you really want a backup blunt attack dwarves will throw in punching, kicking, and shield bashing.

I wonder what the combat numbers are for shields. I've seen leather shields with a couple of kills on them, but leather maces aren't in the game so any comparisons would need to be specifically set up. Maybe you could mod leather to be a weapon material just long enough to make some? It works for lead and bolts, but those two materials are handled in slightly different ways.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 03:55:51 am »

The answer here, of course, is to simply make everything that is pink in the game blue.

[LMAGENTA_R:0]
[LMAGENTA_G:0]
[LMAGENTA_B:255]

In the colors.txt file in data/init.

A very interesting suggestion.. so this would change everything that is pink to that color? Like.. uum.. pigs?

Picks are nice even if you don't quick-train the skill by digging up stairs and then removing those up stairs. Good edged attack, no blunt attack. Probably the best weapon to make from adamantine, and if you really want a backup blunt attack dwarves will throw in punching, kicking, and shield bashing.

I wonder what the combat numbers are for shields. I've seen leather shields with a couple of kills on them, but leather maces aren't in the game so any comparisons would need to be specifically set up. Maybe you could mod leather to be a weapon material just long enough to make some? It works for lead and bolts, but those two materials are handled in slightly different ways.

So actually, a pick and shield equiped guys actually has all the types of attacks?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 06:25:33 am »

Sutremaine: You could mod in a reaction for leather maces, but why not make metal shields?
Sig

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »

Just for testing really. The data you'd get from leather vs. leather might or might not be of any more use than metal vs. metal, but you'd at least get more attacks to use for comparison.

So actually, a pick and shield equiped guys actually has all the types of attacks?
That's true for any weapon / shield combo, and for any weapon but a pick you'll always get a rarely-picked blunt attack. The attraction of the pick / shield combo is that if you make the pick from adamantine, there are no blade slaps or haft bashes. It's a minor gain in efficiency because dwarves vastly prefer EDGE attacks over BLUNT attacks, but it does mean that every attack made with the pick uses that adamantine edge.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »

Blunt attacks with edged weapons are rare enough that they aren't a major consideration -  1in 50 for axes, 1 in 100 for most others.
I'd actually consider axes for adamantine weaponry: bigger contact area means a bigger mess, the downside (struggling to penetrate) is compensated by the strength and sharpness of the material.
Axes are also large, which may make them better than usual with very light materials.

Picks are very sweet if the best you have is steel. They're just pointy enough with just enough power to get through armour or large bones and scratch weird beasties of almost any material, and have enough contact area to take off goblin-sized limbs. No swing is wasted.
Pages: 1 [2]