Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom War Paddles? That's a paddlin'.  (Read 672 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Custom War Paddles? That's a paddlin'.
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:26:31 pm »

So I'm starting up a serious fort to run with, and get the full DF experience. I'm planning on a glorious volcanic mountain hall to act as a monument to dwarfy glory and elven failure (it regularly rains elven blood over the volcano, which is 90% of the surface area.

It was randomly named Itchpaddles, so I decided to add a custom weapon aptly named "War Paddles" to add some humor to my potential Let's Play of the fort. I'm planning on the Fortress Guard using them to enforce the law and stuff.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PADDLE_WAR]
[NAME:war paddle:war paddles]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:spank:applies a paddlin' to:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]

This is what I got so far, based on war hammers and using bits from spears and training swords for some attack variety. Replace the war hammer's "bash" with "spank" since it is a paddle, after all.

How the wiki describes weapon properties doesn't help me understand how the numbers affect the weapon's performance. Any chance I could get some more info on that?

Also, is there any way to apply a syndrome to the paddle so that it leaves blisters from "spank" attacks, to better apply itchy dorf justice?

High school just started up again for me, and it's sucking what free time I have to look into DF modding like a vampire sucks a legendary weaponsmith's blood. I'd greatly appreciate some info from you guys.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom War Paddles? That's a paddlin'.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »

The three variables in the attack string are the Surface Area, the Penetration Depth, and the Velocity Multiplier.

For Blunt weapons, it is generally said that the Penetration Depth doesn't have an effect, although i don't know that i've seen the definitive experiment or statement from Toady that proves this yet, but let's assume its true. So it's really the other two that matter.

Surface area, for blunt weapons basically the smaller the better, because the calculation that comes down to applied force per area.  So a hammer has a tiny contact area (10), this is probably why it's one of the most effective blunt weapons in vanilla.  Mauls and flails have larger contact area (100-200), this is why they're not as regularly effective.  Anything over 200 will start to be weak; anything over a 1000 or so is unlikely to do much damage at all (so i suspect your slap and bash don't do too much, but then, it's a spanking, so that's about right?)

Of course, maybe if you have a crazy powerful creature swing it, then the larger weapons can break two bones instead of one, who knows.  But for non-superhuman wielders smaller contact is better

Velocity multiplier models how hard you are swinging the weapon, a number in the range of 1000-1250 is for a stab or thrust; 2000 is for a powerful swing; 3000-5000 is a swing from a long shafted weapon like a halberd.  Maybe you go higher for a special attack or a magic weapon or something, but that is the normal range.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »

Ah, thanks for that, that was quite helpful to read.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »

Don't forget that you cannot add weapons with new ID (like "[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PADDLE_WAR]") to existing worlds. You will have to replace something your dwarves already use.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »

I approve of this.