Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unknown?!?!? How does I kill  (Read 2790 times)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown?!?!? How does I kill
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 05:56:58 pm »

Pokedex entry:

Unown, the Symbol Pokémon. Unown are said to have existed since ancient times. There are many in form and shape but little is known about this mysterious Pokémon.

The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:01:52 pm »

if it is unknown, then it could be dangerous! We must kill it now!

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 06:35:46 pm »

Most likely this is a glaring bug, this happens in alot of games. It was notable in the Pokemon series for creating a new type of creature after the designers found glitched ones called missingno, aka missingnumber. Basically this is what happens when the games code gets wonky and uses non existent files for bodyparts and such, often making it unbeatable. Have !FUN!

The same exact bug can't possibly occur across multiple games.
Yeah, I doubt Pokemon and Dwarf Fortress have the same game code. 
I've never seen or heard of this before, are you using a modded version of DF?

I think he was talking about "glaring bugs" in general, not the specific one in Pokemon. DF has its own version of the missingno bug, when there are duplicate raws in the folder. Results in adventurers going to sleep in the forest somewhere as a dwarf and waking up as a Gopher Man in the lowest caverns, stuff like that.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 09:45:24 pm »

Right.  I think the Glacier Bug is a different problem.
Post more pictures, this time look at the nothing's description.  This is done by pressing "L" and selecting the entity.  That will tell you the body parts, and a description, which should tell you what the nothing is supposed to be.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

I think they look cute. Like little angry ghost buddies that increase your defense skills. Keep them for great justice.
Otherwise, do they burn? Can one collapse a tunnel on them in adv mode? Does a minecart glitch out and smack them or just pass right through? What about necromancy, does it recognize them due to some quirk? If you had poison breath/immunity, try puking on yourself and wrestling one. OOH, OOH! GO TO A TERRIFYING PLACE, see if the rains hit it! Now you have huskified angry ghost buddies, and if you're lucky they might leave little trails of ctd missingno bloodjuice! Oh the possibilities!

What bug is that? Sounds worth trying.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 04:47:58 am »

It's a modding error. Some creatures have improperly defined castes. It WILL crash your game, sooner or later. It may also corrupt your world/save.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 12:54:21 pm »

I only glimpsed through the thread, but I immediately came to the same conclusion: bad modding.

I've also had situation where attacks "passed through" bodyparts with missing or buggy tissues, especially where body detal plans were involved. Tried used this to my advantage once while modding; didn't work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2]