Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: BM XXXVI: The Dirge of the Dead -- Scum Victory!  (Read 85147 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVI: Day 1, Judgement in the Archaic Fane - Replacement Needed!
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2012, 07:47:38 pm »

Nerjin, answer my questions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »

Sorry I didn’t realize you asked a question Jim [May I call you Jim?] Well let’s get the embarrassing part out of the way.
The first two points are now totally irrelevant. He has answered the switch in opinion to my satisfaction. Should I elaborate on that a bit more or not?

[IC's + Tiruin: If I stay in the game my participation is going to drop to probably like 0.85 high-quality posts per day due to the aforementioned IRL ass-biting.  What would you prefer, that I RR like I currently am and bow out, or that I stick around with a significantly reduced level of participation?]

@vodot, you thought the possibility that we may think you prefer Jim off the game because you are scum and he is townie?

Yep. If he and I were even remotely evenly skilled, that's exactly what i'd do if I were scum. As it stands, don't be foolish: given the gap in our skill levels, regardless of how hard I tried to cloak my Jimbotting [can I use that as a verb?]  he would just eat me and move on. 

I think I feel so safe going after Jim because I know that he can spot my true alignment, right now, from ten miles away.  So if he's scum, we newbs had better start preparing for an epic battle against him or Shake. And if he's town, I have no real need to be concerned about him retaliating or eating me; he almost certainly knows my alignment already.

I'm not dismissing your concern. I think it's valid. I just know it is ultimately unmerited.
Seems like a stupid question, I know, but seeing he is an IC, if townie, it could help us better, I think.
See, this is the dangerous line of thinking I'm talking about.  Jim will still IC this game even if he's dead: there is no reason to fear lynching him based on his IC-ness and reputation alone.  Don't get complacent.
[/quote]
First off what is Jimbotting? Is that a phrase?
The reason I find this suspicious is that he’s going after you for no reason other than that he figures you’d be a powerful enemy. Why is he so worried about you when you’ve shown no scum-tells? I’m suspicious of you too but that’s because you haven’t proven you’re town yet. It appears, here, that he’s saying “Jim would be powerful as scum. Let’s lynch him just in case.” It just strikes me as scummy.
-Snip-
@Everyone else who think's I'm scum damn stupid enough to lynch the ICs in broad daylight on D1 without having or citing any evidence against them at all:
Maybe this will help clarify my mindset: I came in fully expecting that an IC could roll scum.  If that happened, I expected that IC (like any good mafia) to at some point give some poor sucker misleading information during the game, use that misinformation to their advantage to win, and then use the whole situation as an educational talking point in the dead/after-game chat.

How can that not be a possibility, given that the ICs are ostensibly also trying to win?  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, ok— maybe that isn't allowed, or something— but I do not want to be that sucker. If they are scum, they will try to lie convincingly to us at some point.  How can I not desire to guard myself, at least, from buying that lie?  This is why I really like Shake's use of brackets so that I can tell the difference between gameplay and advice; and it's probably part of the reason why I'm still *feeling* a little more touchy around Jim.

All, please pay attention to who is going after me for this.  I'm playing an aggressive game with the IC's, but I'm playing an equally aggressive game with everyone else, too.  This "lynch the IC's!!" strawman they're putting up is pretty serious and it is a great point of attack.  They are going to go after me for it to try and get me out of the game without having to spend an NK on me.

TL;DR: I prefer direct solutions.  I'd just NK Jim if I were scum and afraid of him, and don't WIFOM me here.  That is what I would do, and it's how I answered your first question on day one, Kamin.
He gets very upset that people are worried with his logic. Very angry. I’m lead to believe that outbursts of anger when challenged is a scum-tell. Even if it’s not he says that the IC’s have to be scum or at the very least one of them. He also seems to think that the IC’s would be able to get away with giving faulty gameplay related information. Maybe I read it wrong, but if that’s the case then he’s either A) Not thinking or B) Hoping we are not. I’m pretty sure the fine folks who run this board-set wouldn’t let people who take advantage of new players to IC in a BM. If that makes sense ya know?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »

Kamin
I haven't gotten a good read on you Sox, so if you had anything constructive to say, now might be the time to say it.
My job in this is to find scum. It is not to give you a background check on myself. I've had several posts, you can look at those. If you can't get anything from that, then you question me to get something out of me. You were essentially FoSing me because you were being lazy. Do you have any reasons for this?
@Wrex-I'm so sorry about those circumstances. Thanks so much for playing.

Kingfisher-You know from experience how hard it is to stay active and not get emotional eventually(espcially in your first game). You were lynched largely due to this as town, so why suspect someone for it?

Mark-On post 123, you essentially made a RVS vote(even if I misinterrperited it, it came with a RVS question). Even then, we were far past the RVS stage of the game.  Why did you feel it was needed to ask that question? In addition, you never answered his questions, all of which were essentially questioning wheter your actions which appeared scummy. How come you never answered those questions?

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2012, 08:47:48 pm »

Kamin
I haven't gotten a good read on you Sox, so if you had anything constructive to say, now might be the time to say it.
My job in this is to find scum. It is not to give you a background check on myself. I've had several posts, you can look at those. If you can't get anything from that, then you question me to get something out of me. You were essentially FoSing me because you were being lazy. Do you have any reasons for this?
Reasons? Because nothing you've posted has substance. When you post, it's short, and it happens relatively rarely. Calling me "lazy" is a tad out of line given that context, no? I'm not sure about you based on that information. You haven't really voted yet, either, so I have no idea where you stand. Do you see where I'm coming from? My FoS is my way of getting you to include more content later; it's not a vote. Not yet. Understand?

And also, the point of this game is kind of to give people a background check on yourself. Otherwise they're lynched as question-dodging, lurker scum. Try to keep that in mind later.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2012, 09:09:53 pm »

Kamin
Reasons? Because nothing you've posted has substance. When you post, it's short, and it happens relatively rarely. Calling me "lazy" is a tad out of line given that context, no? I'm not sure about you based on that information. You haven't really voted yet, either, so I have no idea where you stand. Do you see where I'm coming from? My FoS is my way of getting you to include more content later; it's not a vote. Not yet. Understand?

And also, the point of this game is kind of to give people a background check on yourself. Otherwise they're lynched as question-dodging, lurker scum. Try to keep that in mind later.
Given that context, yes it's a little out of line. However, if you don't think I'm posting enough content, then ask me questions to post more content. My read on this was that you FoSed me simply so you could get a reaction to save you some work. The reason I haven't voted yet is primarily because I'm not seeing anyone who looks to be definite scum. I probably would have voted Wrex, however he's up for replacement now, and I'll have to wait for a replacement to get a better read on him. And I understand that you aren't voting me-thankfully I'm not colorblind :D. While you're right that you have to give them a background check, you can't just step foward and say, "here's this, this, and that information. Make of it what you will." I feel that it's less scummy to wait until you're asked for information to give it. I hope that adressed your questions(btw, ironically enough, if this was the last BM, I'd actually be one of the more active players at this point. I'm not saying that it's the reason for a low post count, I'm just pointing out how much more active this is)

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:21 pm »

Given that context, yes it's a little out of line. However, if you don't think I'm posting enough content, then ask me questions to post more content. My read on this was that you FoSed me simply so you could get a reaction to save you some work. The reason I haven't voted yet is primarily because I'm not seeing anyone who looks to be definite scum. I probably would have voted Wrex, however he's up for replacement now, and I'll have to wait for a replacement to get a better read on him. And I understand that you aren't voting me-thankfully I'm not colorblind :D. While you're right that you have to give them a background check, you can't just step foward and say, "here's this, this, and that information. Make of it what you will." I feel that it's less scummy to wait until you're asked for information to give it. I hope that adressed your questions(btw, ironically enough, if this was the last BM, I'd actually be one of the more active players at this point. I'm not saying that it's the reason for a low post count, I'm just pointing out how much more active this is)
You're right, and I appreciate you being candid. I just suppose that I'm kind of on the fence about asking questions now, since we're past the RVS stage (although I'm not entirely clear why that means we shouldn't ask questions in some form or another). However, I'm not blaming you for that; I blame myself for not asking you before RVS and understanding the game as well as I should. If we're both lucky enough not to be lynched or NKed before next RVS, I'll make certain to grill you as much as I grill everybody else  :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »

"Hey, looks like they're heating up the forge and getting firewood. I wonder what the trial for today would be? I mean, I'm a piece of paper but I can smeeeeel them coals."

Quote from: Vote standings:

• Nerjin (1) - vodot
  • wsoxfan (0) -
  • Kamin (0) -
  • kingfisher1112 (2) - markressler, Wrex
  • markressler (1) - Nerjin
  • vodot (1) -  Kamin
  • Wrex (2) - Shakerag, kingfisher1112
  • Jim Groovester (0) -
  • Shakerag (0) -

Not voting: wsoxfan, Jim Groovester

"If anyone has their vote and I've missed it. Tell me! I don't want that stick to write on me...please no."

((Day 1 will end at September 7, 2012 [Friday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Meaning ~10 hours from the time of this post!

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker! Under momentary reconstruction and maintenance!))
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:26:40 pm by Tiruin »

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:35 pm »

I suppose this would be the time people want to ask for extensions? So far, what we have would result in a no lynch. If anybody wants an extension, I suppose that should probably be voiced.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2012, 10:38:29 pm »

I suppose this would be the time people want to ask for extensions? So far, what we have would result in a no lynch. If anybody wants an extension, I suppose that should probably be voiced.
Don't worry. I have no issues with breaking a tie. I would like to do more investigating, but I believe I have a good case on Wrex as is. So I'll vote Wrex now, and if I find more conclusive evidence on someone else, then I'll change my vote.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2012, 03:17:14 am »

Sox: They had a point. It was scummy. It may have happened to me, still doesnt change anything. But Vodot has given me some good response so i am less suspicious of him. For now.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2012, 07:03:29 am »

""Swords! Swords!

"It's going to be a trial by battle! The people will rejoice!"
"

• Nerjin (1) - vodot
  • wsoxfan (0) -
  • Kamin (0) -
  • vodot (1) -  Kamin
  • Wrex (3) - Shakerag, kingfisher1112, wsoxfan
  • Jim Groovester (0) -
  • Shakerag (0) -

Not voting: Jim Groovester

"I've outlined the competitor ((to be lynched)) in red for easier...stuff"

((Day 1 will end at September 7, 2012 [Friday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Meaning ~1 hour from the time of this post!

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker! Under momentary reconstruction and maintenance!))
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:20:06 am by Tiruin »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVI: Night 1, Trial by Combat - Victory?
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2012, 08:05:30 am »

"Curse this! You're the saboteur! I bloody know it!"

"I say nay, sir Knight! He is the one!"

"How dare ye befoul my honor! I held my sword in the defense of the keep!"

"Quiet!"

The clamor of the convicted parties died down as their leader approached, all eyes drawn on him as he held up the sandglass.

It was empty.

"Right, you! Sir Gavorn. Stand over there. We settle this through the rite of battle. Make your choice of your opponent and we settle this by the glory of the Creator."

"I challenge whosoever sent me to this place!"

The man licked his lips before nodding and gesturing to the far end of the courtyard opposite him.

"You'll be facing a man who I know will be able to dispense justice, or die trying. Strip thyself of thy armor, and face him in honourable combat."

In silence, the accused removed his gauntlets, sabatons and any other covering of the hands and feet along with any other metallic armor on him and placed them on the table, where they were gathered by several squires. The knight was left with nothing but cloth on him from top to bottom.

"Take thy sword and thy house shield. For now, you face Sir Devon Alarai, Champion of the seven realms and Marshall to the King!"

A deathly silence followed, and all eyes shifted their gaze to the direction in which the man was pointing. There, at the gate stood a hulking man, six feet tall and clad in the same armor Gavorn wore -- linen clothing, bearing a blackish shield and an ornate longsword. He strode into the space, and all could feel the tension in the air.

"Hail, sir knight. Shall we begin?" he intoned. Gavorn only nodded in reply.

The scene was of an auburn hue, made so by the setting sun, of sixty feet square. The light streamed over the walls and onto the duelist's sides, so as to not give an advantage to either. The sigil of the flame mirrored that of the lion on their surcoats. With an acknowledging nod from the watcher, the duel started in earnest.

Brilliant orange and yellow danced around the knights' swords as they wove in and out of each other's reach. Shields met each other with a sonorous clang as the pair tried to strike at their opponent's blindside, egged on by the cheers of the crowd. The combatants were fierce, yet noble in their strikes, employing the best of what they were taught and using the tactics of yore.

And then, the end came as swiftly as it started. A shade of crimson fell on the land as the Marshall parried the strike with the pommel and drove his blade through his opponents midriff, bringing it out in a clean motion before moving it to the side of the nape.

"Do you yield?"

"I stay loyal to the end."

With the flick of a wrist, the knight fell to the ground in a pool of his own blood. Followed by the sheathing of a sword and the movement of boots. The duel was over, and the body was gathered for the burial rites. It was quite a while before the crowd's applause died down after the duel, though.

"It is done. Let it now be known that-"

"Milord, wait!...

"He's one of us."

It was a squire, a boy of no older than fourteen who spoke. He held up a ring of keys and picks that resembled that of a royal armorer, styled and made out of the finest iron and branded with the sigil of the burning flame.

"Impossible...Providence is deemed-"

"To be determined in truth, yes. While we may have sacrificed an honest man, no sorcery can tell a lie, here. Unless there is foul play afoot. You, knight! Search the halls tonight, make sure nobody will escape the area. If we've a magic-user in the place, he or she cannot be far from our location to shift the hand of fate.

"I will be here until the end."

The Marshall returned to his place, leaving the man to disperse the crowds for the night as well as show the nobility watching to their provided quarters. Lastly, he turns to you all.

"Alright lads, I don't know what happened there, but things have gone awry. You will all be provided your personal quarters in the Aerie -- the highest tower of the mountain fane. We continue in the morning, the same trial applies at dawn.

"Fare thee well, knights."

• Nerjin (1) - vodot
  • wsoxfan (0) -
  • Kamin (0) -
  • vodot (1) -  Kamin
  • Wrex (3) - Shakerag, kingfisher1112, wsoxfan
  • Jim Groovester (0) -
  • Shakerag (0) -

Not voting: Jim Groovester

((Wrex has been lynched! He was the Town Cop!))

Sir Richard "Wrex" Gavorn

You are the Quartermaster of the Iridescent Flame {Town Cop}, one of the elders of the archaic monastic order. You carry the lock and keys to the archives and librariums of your people, and have always been entrusted with keeping the dishes clean. Your oath to the King and to your lord has given you the freedom to browse the archives every night in your quest for vindication due to recent events, and though you have been an influential individual in the presence of nobility for most of your life, your only weapons here are your tongue and your keys.

((You are of the Town Faction! Every Night you can choose to Inspect any individual to discover their alignment {which will read: Town or Mafia}. You cannot inspect yourself.))

((Night 1 will end at September 10, 2012 [Monday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

The game has entered the night phase, no one may post during the night phase and the thread will be locked to ensure as such.

Please submit your actions via PM, if any. The Night will end at the time stated or until all probable actions are sent in. The Night will not obviously end on the Weekend.
))

"Well, at least he won't be needing refreshments anymore."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:15:42 am by Tiruin »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVI: Day 2, Deliberations Continue
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2012, 08:21:22 am »

”Time is precious, and as countless as the sand in the sea.”

The coming morning was a splendid one. The preceding night, your leader held a feast in honor of the King, the Marshal, and for the large number of the commonfolk attending the unconventional trials (also for your good etiquette, nobles). As you gather by the courtyard, a terrible scene unfolds.

In the middle of the area lay a broken body, armor shattered and sword broken. The banner of the Iridescent flame was evident on the shield which hung limply by his arm. As you search the area, it seems like he was struck down on the spot by a hidden blade, or perhaps the sky fell on him. You aren't sure.

Nevertheless, your leader breaks out into the same attitude as yesterday night -- despondency.

"Sir Conricht, a knight banneret of our order. You will be sorely missed."

"His swordplay was unlike anything ever seen, I am saddened by his loss."

You all turn to see a familiar man, now clad in black plate standing by your side as he draws the familiar table. The Marshall has returned.

"This is a defiance to what we stand for. Who would kill a man under trial when it can easily be settled by words?! I've had patrols scouring the areas, and all we could find of magic was a squirrel with two tails!"

"Calm down, sir knight, we all feel the same about this loss. Our rallying man has been judged unfortunately, and we can do nothing else but continue this."

"Then finish it quickly, I'd not want this to take the whole day! The sun shines above, this better be over before it sets. The whole deal."

Your leader unfolds another familiar piece of paper, empty only for differences in the names of yesterday.

"Let's get on with it."

As you begin the start of your day, you can see several men attending to the body of Sir Conricht, one of them positioning a banner by your side. You lay your spears, complete with pennoncelles, beside it in honor of the dead and the coming trial.

((Shakerag has been slain! He was a Vanilla Townie!))

Sir Wilhelm "Shakerag" Conricht

You are a Knight Banneret of the Iridescent Flame {Normal Town}, an elder and holder of the order's flag and status. You have always been known to be loyal to the King and to his vassals, now having the power to speak your own in their presence. However, due to recent events, your only weapon now would be your tongue and your wisdom in the war of words.

((You are of the Town Faction! You cannot act at Night, being a Vanilla//Normal Townie

You are an IC!))

• Nerjin (0) -
  • wsoxfan (0) -
  • Kamin (0) -
  • kingfisher1112 (0) -
  • markressler (0) -
  • vodot (0) - 
  • Jim Groovester (0) -

Not voting: Jim Groovester, Kamin, Nerjin, vodot, wsoxfan, kingfisher1112, markressler

((Day 2 will end at September 13, 2012 [Thursday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

3 votes needed to extend the day
4 votes needed to shorten the day

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:39:20 am by Tiruin »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:59 am »

Oh no. We are truly up shit creek without a paddle. Cop gone, shake gone...

Gentlemen, it's time for some serious Scumhunting.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2012, 09:20:36 am »

Ahh, the first time I've been NK'd as an IC.  I shall treasure this memory fondly.

[So, yes, as it may have been stated before, death is a trifling matter for ICs.  Yes, I can't vote or comment on the game directly, but I'll still be about to crack all of you over the head with a shovel if necessary. 

Now that there have been two roleflips, this is an excellent time to review D1 with the knowledge that Wrex and I are confirmed town.  Look at interactions, look at lack of interactions.  Update whatever mental theories you have on who may or may not be scum.]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28