Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: BM XXXVI: The Dirge of the Dead -- Scum Victory!  (Read 85214 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVI: Day 1, Judgement in the Archaic Fane - Replacement needed!
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »

Alright Wrex, coming off the back of Lurk-O-BM, when did you decide it was a good idea to lurk. Why are you not questioning? Also, why did you vote Vodot with only the statement " He seems pretty accusatory."? You have constantly made short posts, and have made no effort to question. So please tell me the reason.

Unvote
Have you not been watching? I have made plenty of questions. Not as much as the hyperactive lord of the text wall that is vodot :p Wsoxfan, consider yourself un FOS'd, I misread one of your earlier posts in the haze of "Been awake for far far too long". Now, I am a quiet fella. I enjoy watching people do this back and forth talky talky fest. It's fun. It's informative. But please notice that I have posted more often than shakerag has, although not to the same quantity. Is it because I don't make massive text walls disecting everyone's posts? Or is it because you saw a bandwagon forming and jumped on it, King?

Now, you may be asking why did I vote Vodot? Kamin stated the reason far more eloquently than I ever could. Applying pressure is a good thing, generally. But this is far more agressive than I have ever seen anyone play Mafia. It may be a personal style, or it may be a tell. I have no idea. Never played with him before. He is, however, performing better (I think) Than King, who is lurking harder than me.

I'm not lurking, I'm just legitimately not here. The first 5 page burst was not me "Lurking", it was me sleeping. And I did not see a bandwagon forming, markressler has the real bandwagon forming. Now. Moving on. While you are still suspicious, I don't know who could really be scum here. And watch out for your sleep Wrex. I made an angry post because I had just slept and was tired, and it cost me my life.
Unvote
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:07 pm »

Wrex: Fight my damn hardest to survive. There's nothing special you can do in that situation.

And something I forgot, YOU saw a bandwagon forming and jumped on it, not me.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2012, 07:50:41 pm »

PFP-I'll get access to a computer in a couple hours. In the meantime, answers to questions-
I didn't think I'd be unable to post for this long. I was planning on waiting for a computer to post. I don't consider 24 hours lurking. Anyways, someone who lurks for long periods of time is almost certainly scum.
To kingfisher:at this point my top three choices are Wrex(see my earlier posts on why), and vodot because he wants to get rid of the most experienced player because he's the most experienced player. I don't see why I need to think of three scum, as there can only be two. I'll post questions in hopefully two hours or so.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2012, 08:56:23 pm »

Also, Jim, I forgot to answer, yeah, I tend to freak out sometimes whether my alignment is because my lack of experience. Let some day pass and I will be more sure about what to do/what not to do.

I have no doubt that this is true, but it strikes me as more than a little self-preservationist.

"Nah, don't lynch me today, I'll be good and town looking in a few days."

Asking people to give you slack probably won't work.

You're really convinced I'm scum, don't you? You are seeking for 'evilness' where's nowhere to be found. I understand, I'm a suspect, you are a suspect, everybody is. But I think you are wasting your time with me, if those are your reasons to vote me. You saw my vulnerability and now you are trying to take advantage of it. I'm not saying this because it's me the one being voted, I'd think this if you were doing it to anybody else. It's easy to scum pick on the once-more vulnerable townie.

Nerjin, it's D1, you are scum. You saw how a townie started to dig his tomb and, once he noticed that, tried to fix it. Won't you try to get him lynched because of his first mistakes?

This is not how you defend yourself.

You have to do more than just say the people voting you are wrong. It won't change people's minds if that's all you say. You have to explain how they are wrong. You have to address the reasons that people are voting you and ably demonstrate that those reasons are false or incorrect. Otherwise, you just let what people say about you stand with no rebuttal. They are, in effect, controlling the opinion about you. This is not a good situation to be in, as you can probably imagine.

Also, if Nerjin is scum, why aren't you voting him? Afraid of OMGUSing?

Is there any reason why all your questions directed towards me are from the scum perspective?

Because I think you're scum, Jim, and I want our noobly town to think of you that way. I know this is BM, but my priority is still winning. And honestly?  I don't like your role and the idea of the "playing IC". I think it unfairly swamps the noob town with a whole extra dynamic they shouldn't have to deal with, namely a super-experienced player that will have absolutely no difficulty in shoving opinion around with his reputation alone.  How is that fair?  How can that be trusted? I think it's just a carrot to get IC's to participate.

If you think I'm scum, then vote for me.

Come on come on come on come on. I want you to do it, I want you to do it. Come on come on come on come on, I want you to do it. Vote me! Vote me! Come on, vote me!

Or maybe you should try a different approach and not suspect people because of their experience. Because here's the hard facts: even if it weren't completely fallacious to suspect somebody simply for their experience (it has no bearing on alignment given at the beginning of the game), the moment you step out of the comfort zone of the Beginner's Mafias, everyone is experienced. There's no significant skill gap between me or Shakerag or any of the other players on this board, so you are teaching yourself the absolute shittiest of lessens by suspecting experienced players before they even do anything.

And you're forgetting the purpose of the Beginner's Mafias. It's not to play a good game. It's to learn how to play. Good games make this easier. Your priority should be to learn how to play, not worry about winning or not.

Additionally, I ask you scum questions because I'd rather ask an excellent player I know is required to give me good answers and information about how he would play the scum side, since I am otherwise going to acquire exactly zero first-hand information about playing the scum side this game, until i read the scum chat and discuss the game with everyone afterward.

This answer doesn't seem honest.

If your priority is winning, then there's no good reason why you should be taking notes on how to play scum unless you are scum.

Jim, who is playing the most like bad newbie scum right now?  Who is playing the most like good newbie scum right now?

I generally refuse to rate player's performance while the game is in progress, because I don't want to be discouraging.

Similarly, I don't want to give a player any reason to have an ego.

[IC's + Tiruin: If I stay in the game my participation is going to drop to probably like 0.85 high-quality posts per day due to the aforementioned IRL ass-biting.  What would you prefer, that I RR like I currently am and bow out, or that I stick around with a significantly reduced level of participation?]

It's up to you if you think your level of participation will be sufficient enough.

I think I feel so safe going after Jim because I know that he can spot my true alignment, right now, from ten miles away.  So if he's scum, we newbs had better start preparing for an epic battle against him or Shake. And if he's town, I have no real need to be concerned about him retaliating or eating me; he almost certainly knows my alignment already.

You have way too much confidence in this being the case.

Yuh huh, you're so town that I, in my (apparently) infinite skill, can just tell this obvious and immutable fact.

Claim that I can recognize that you're town all you want. You saying this makes me seriously think otherwise.

See, this is the dangerous line of thinking I'm talking about.  Jim will still IC this game even if he's dead: there is no reason to fear lynching him based on his IC-ness and reputation alone.  Don't get complacent.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Quit talking around the issue of suspecting me and lynching me and make it happen.

Looking for answers to my questions, Wrex and Jim.

Why don't you fucking wait.

For fuck's sake, I do not have all day to play mafia.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2012, 10:21:28 pm »

Vodot:I find a couple of things odd with what Vodot is doing right now-first he places what is essentially a RVS vote on Nerjin on post 118. Why? This game has been out of the RVS stage for a while now. Also, as Jim stated above, if you think he(and Shake) are scum, why aren't you voting them, or at least FoSing them? You're making a lot of talk, but you're not backing it up. You appear to want both of the IC's gone because they are experienced, not because of anything scummy that they did. That seems dangerous.

Wrex:If I may ask, what part of my statement did you misread? Also, why did you OMGUS Kingfisher? Yes, he had flimsy reason for voting for you, but you had still flimsier reasons voting for him. The finger of suspicion grows, Wrex.

Also...
General statement. If I haven't posted for more than 30 hours, then I'm lurking. Otherwise I am at school. I am sincerly sorry if some people are unhappy I can't play this game 24/7.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:57 am »

Update

blackmagechill has denied replacing vodot!

vodot will still act as himself until I can get someone in who needs to replace him! Or until he decides to not request for a replacement!

"Hey, did I tell you yet that master is a mighty wizard?

"Yes he is! Ooooh yes."

Quote from: Vote standings:

• Nerjin (1) - vodot
  • wsoxfan (0) -
  • Kamin (0) -
  • kingfisher1112 (2) - markressler, Wrex
  • markressler (0) -
  • vodot (0) -
  • Wrex (2) - Shakerag, kingfisher1112
  • Jim Groovester (0) -
  • Shakerag (0) -

Not voting: Nerjin, wsoxfan, Jim Groovester, Kamin

((Day 1 will end at September 7, 2012 [Friday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker! Under momentary reconstruction and maintenance!))

[IC's + Tiruin: If I stay in the game my participation is going to drop to probably like 0.85 high-quality posts per day due to the aforementioned IRL ass-biting.  What would you prefer, that I RR like I currently am and bow out, or that I stick around with a significantly reduced level of participation?]

As long as you do post high-quality ones, and make sure they're relevant, you're fine. Nobody until now seems to want to undergo the first trials anyway.

Tally ho, knights! :P

vodot

• Bay Watcher
  • I am here for the status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2012, 02:53:33 am »

Or maybe you should try a different approach and not suspect people because of their experience. ...you are teaching yourself the absolute shittiest of lessens by suspecting experienced players before they even do anything.

I think if anyone really reads, they will see that what i'm trying to do is to encourage the town to treat you like a player; not to actually lynch you, and not to revere you like some infallible angelic being.

Additionally, I ask you scum questions because I'd rather ask an excellent player I know is required to give me good answers and information about how he would play the scum side, since I am otherwise going to acquire exactly zero first-hand information about playing the scum side this game, until i read the scum chat and discuss the game with everyone afterward.

This answer doesn't seem honest.

If your priority is winning, then there's no good reason why you should be taking notes on how to play scum unless you are scum.

I don't think there is any game in the history of ever in which it is disadvantageous to know how your opponent is going to play. Prove me wrong, IC.

It's up to you if you think your level of participation will be sufficient enough.
Provided that's the consensus, awesome.  Cancel Replacement Request.  I'm having an absolute blast. :)

Yuh huh, you're so town that I, in my (apparently) infinite skill, can just tell this obvious and immutable fact.

Claim that I can recognize that you're town all you want. You saying this makes me seriously think otherwise.

[OK, Can I pause the hardassery to just say... really? I really did think you would be able to tell pretty much immediately, and that you ICs are basically playing with the kid gloves on.  If you REALLY can't, then I really might be pushing too hard to increase the 'default' level of healthy caution the town should have for the ICs.]

See, this is the dangerous line of thinking I'm talking about.  Jim will still IC this game even if he's dead: there is no reason to fear lynching him based on his IC-ness and reputation alone.  Don't get complacent.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Quit talking around the issue of suspecting me and lynching me and make it happen.

Back off.  I said "there's no reason to fear lynching him", not "there's no reason not to lynch him", and there is a BIG difference between those two thoughts.  That's been my line throughout, and I'm not ashamed of it.  I've kidded around with you and pressed you as a personal challenge, and because I thought you'd be a fun target, but I WILL vote and lynch you when I am convinced you're scum, and I'm certainly NOT, yet. 

@sox, see above.

Why don't you fucking wait.

For fuck's sake, I do not have all day to play mafia.

Ok, ok.  fair enough.  that was utterly hypocritical, especially given my own RR for the same reasons. I'm just getting excited.

But come on Jim, this is has got to be better than lurking, right?

Oh, and:

DO Answer the question...  pretty please.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2012, 02:56:27 am »

No replacements are currently needed!

Provided that's the consensus, awesome.  Cancel Replacement Request.  I'm having an absolute blast. :)

"So...still parched, sir knight?"

"It's noon, I guess I can still go on without refreshments. Thank ye muchly, squire."

"I'm a popped corn vendor..."

"Precisely."

Guys, I can't continue wiht this. It has been a blast, but frankly, I am drained by some events beyond my control. You may want to warm up that replacement button.

"Wait, squire! I am in need of refreshments!"

"I told you I'm not a-...Fine, sire. Let me get the lemons, and I'll make them extra juicy. Sire."

Wrex has requested a Replacement!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:37:41 am by Tiruin »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2012, 03:15:04 am »

Alright, getting another retread.
Wrex: In post#62 you OMGUS. Your reasoning? He was acting like a good townie. Asking questions, and pressuring people. Wrex.
In post #75 you again accuse Vodot of being too aggressive. A post in the last BM said something along the lines of "Scumhunting is not a scum tell, no matter the aggressiveness."
In post #130 you OMGUS. a noting really needs to be said about this.
However, I have noticed a few traces of possible scumteaming from Vodot to Wrex and vice Versa. Like how Vodot " Pities" Wrex. And the compliment to Vodot. Hmmmm. More coming soon.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2012, 03:37:22 am »

@Vodot: Kingfisher looks far more suspiscious to me now than he did before. Overposting is an unorthodox straegy, to be sure, and it was silly of me to immediatly jump on you for that. However, King, on the other hand, lurks hard, and then picks a safe target, I.E Me. That is very suspiscious, simply because oh how unsuspiscious it looks. He is probably my top scumpick.

So:
@ Vodot: Why are you piting me? I can't learn if I don't make mistakes.
@Mark: You are scum, and have claimed cop to defend yourself. The (presumeably) real cop also claims. What do you do?
@King: You are doctor, but you are leading in votes, and claim as a last ditch defence. Someone else claims Doctor. How do you proceed?

Alright. This post as well. I am a safe target because no one seems to give a shit about me. I have evidence. You do not. You are not a safe target. So, I am suspicious because I am not suspicious. Truly, you are the real life Batman.

@Kamin: You are a jester. What do you do?
@Vodot: Do you have any scum team suspects?
@Shakerag: You are cop. You investigate someone and he turns up town, but he seems scummy.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVI: Day 1, Judgement in the Archaic Fane
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2012, 03:39:15 am »

Guys, I can't continue wiht this. It has been a blast, but frankly, I am drained by some events beyond my control. You may want to warm up that replacement button.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2012, 03:41:44 am »

Thanks for playing Wrex. Hope you can take part in the next BM.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2012, 03:49:18 am »

Thanks for playing Wrex. Hope you can take part in the next BM.

I will, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I've not been up to form. A combination of sleep deprevation, and failing to prevent a suicide, mostly.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVI: Day 1, Judgement in the Archaic Fane - Replacement Needed!
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:13 am »

Sox and Shakerag, are you enjoying the show yet? Two lurkers for the price of one, how convenient... So let me ask, if you were town, what would you think about lurkers? What would you do if there just so happened to be two lurkers, when there are also two Mafia still out and about? Perhaps I'm grasping at straws here, but I haven't seen anything very positive out of you two.

PPE: Just saw your post, Shakerag.
Please note that there are some of us that are post-school, and therefore may not be able to post as often as you whippersnappers.  The bare-minimum for activity is one solid post a day, and I make sure that I try to get at least that in.

Lurkers: If possible, I fire off an inspect or some information-gathering night ability (which includes a vig-kill) at one.  I'm of the opinion that lurking isn't a terribly strong scumtell, because I've seen plenty of town get lynched for doing it.  If there are two lurkers and two scum left, it's possible they're both scum, but there's no good rule of thumb about it to me.  Best thing you can do is go to policy lynch one and see if that spurrs some activity.

Wrex, no PM's about the game, please.
[?]

[OK, Can I pause the hardassery to just say... really? I really did think you would be able to tell pretty much immediately, and that you ICs are basically playing with the kid gloves on.  If you REALLY can't, then I really might be pushing too hard to increase the 'default' level of healthy caution the town should have for the ICs.]
[As has been stated by many ICs before me, we're looking at a bunch of newbies flailing around dropping tells left and right.  We've got a fairly high noise-to-signal ratio when sifting through all the newbtells looking for genuine scumtells here.]

kingfisher1112, why are you still asking RVS questions?

I will, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I've not been up to form. A combination of sleep deprevation, and failing to prevent a suicide, mostly.
[Come back when you're ready.  We'll be here.]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2012, 09:39:53 am »

Wrex, no PM's about the game, please.

Just a note:

Quote from: First page post
PMs - PMs between players are prohibited. You may freely PM the moderator to ask game-related questions, however, what the moderator may reveal is limited.

Do not quote any direct correspondence with the moderator, including role PMs and rule-related queries.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28