Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Back to Science (the spoiler stone research center)  (Read 7621 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Back to Science (the spoiler stone research center)
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:31:48 am »

K, so College officially started today, which means I finally have the time for DF again! (Ironic, isn't it?)

That means that I really will be here again, which also means that I need to know if there's been any progress in the slade testing field. I've actually been quite interested, but I've never been able to check...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:55:17 am by ASCIt »
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: This time for real
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:42:58 pm »

For some obvious reasons, I'm not sure if anyone else picked up the slade research :P

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

YAY! I'm still working with that, btw, in case it wasn't immediately evident.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:26:03 pm »

For some obvious reasons, I'm not sure if anyone else picked up the slade research :P

Har har.  ;D

This ought to be interesting. Welcome back to DF, my friend.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »

Tank you muchly, good sir.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39:32 pm »

Good luck to your fortress. May it's walls fall well, may the magma be every burning, and may your beard grow long.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »

I have never heard of it.  Is this the stuff you are supposed to spoiler tag?  If so, please do.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:51:09 pm »

Slade? Nah. It has some interesting properties, but in general there's not much you can do with it so it just gets ignored.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:00:43 pm »

I have never heard of it.  Is this the stuff you are supposed to spoiler tag?  If so, please do.

It isn't exactly a spoiler in and of itself, but it's found in a spoiler. I don't think the topic needs a spoiler tag though, unless where it comes from is discussed a lot. See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Slade
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:30 pm »

Slade? Nah. It has some interesting properties, but in general there's not much you can do with it so it just gets ignored.
Now that gravity has a more influential effect on Dwarf Fortress, the uses grow ever so more :P

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:26 pm »

Are there even anything interesting about that rock, other than it's the heaviest known thing, outside recursive minecarts?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:57:18 pm »

Are there even anything interesting about that rock, other than it's the heaviest known thing, outside recursive minecarts?
Isn't that reason enough for ‼SCIENCE‼? :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 02:55:32 am »

Well you can't dig it without some rather convoluted strategies and it is of course found in some...aha....unusual places. It's pretty boring even if you somehow manage to acquire some too, since the game rather assumes you can't do that and won't let you do anything with it. It's known for being popular with nobles.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:11 am »

Though slade is found in the HFS, because of it's (supposed to be) undiggable properties, it tends to get placed in the same sort of category as Semi-Molten Rock, where it is completely ignored except for when it gets in your road.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 07:23:13 am »

Well, I don't know how many of the people I discussed this with are still around, but I did manage to find a relatively consistent method of harvesting slade from the special "quarries". I also discovered that it could, in fact, be used in crafting (unless this was patched) so that I could make slade furniture. Slade doors are pretty fun, and you wouldn't believe how useful a slade bin can be.
Pages: [1] 2 3