Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only one Boot  (Read 1429 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only one Boot
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:00:19 am »

So my dwarves seem to equip only one High Boot and I was wondering why, as they are equiping gauntlets as they should.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Only one Boot
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:02:47 am »

Edit the raws so that dwarves are monopods, problem solved.  :P

But seriously, I have no idea myself.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:24 am »

Do you use the most current version?
Do you have enough high boots for everyone?

And if you do, try messing around with the uniform settings. Allow only high boots of a certain material, or make a new uniform which is identical to the old one.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:55:05 am »

Used to have that issue in 31., haven't checked if they does in 34., I think the issue was there not being enough boots when they get ordered to put it on or having sock in uniform ( they tend to put two socks on one foot and boot can't fit for some reason ). No idea if the latter issue's been fixed, yet, since I'm playing 34.09 and haven't tried to put sock in uniform.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:21:56 am »

Used to have that issue in 31., haven't checked if they does in 34., I think the issue was there not being enough boots when they get ordered to put it on or having sock in uniform ( they tend to put two socks on one foot and boot can't fit for some reason ). No idea if the latter issue's been fixed, yet, since I'm playing 34.09 and haven't tried to put sock in uniform.

It must be this. I've got leather socks on everybody so I'll check for this. Thank you.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42:33 am »

It must be this. I've got leather socks on everybody so I'll check for this. Thank you.

Dwarves will replace socks automatically if you don't set them to replace clothing, and they seem to put it on right too then (I've seen military drop clothing to get fresh ones so far and haven't had a dwarf double-sock a foot yet on their own ). Though it might be a good idea to have migrants immediately undress and leave their clothing in a locked room to get unowned and smashed and just never make shoes. Too bad can't have them automatically pick up real armors and boots without them being in squads, though!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:11:38 pm »

Set your uniforms to "replace clothing" instead of "wear over clothing" and it will probably sort itself out.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »

I've got leather socks on everybody so I'll check for this.

My god that sounds uncomfortable.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:48:56 am »

Set your uniforms to "replace clothing" instead of "wear over clothing" and it will probably sort itself out.

Well apparently, despite removing the socks and having the uniform in "replace clothing", the one boot issue persists.

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:13:37 pm »

( they tend to put two socks on one foot and boot can't fit for some reason ).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 06:49:30 am »

Aight, apparently I can't put socks nor shoes on, in order to get those high-boots going.

Ushiromiya

• Bay Watcher
  • Witch hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:00:17 am »

Edit the raws so that dwarves are monopods, problem solved.  :P

But seriously, I have no idea myself.

That made me imagine an entire fortress of one-legged dwarves hopping around. I'm not sure what to think of this mental image...
All mysteries can be explained with "Dwarf Tricks"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:04:09 pm »

It doesn't matter whether or not you use "replace" in 34.11 - they will get themselves into a state where if you say "sock" then "boot", they might sometimes only wear one boot.  Partial/exact matching doesn't have much effect either.

The workaround seems to be to define "boot" twice in the uniform.

Heck, if you're lucky, they'll wear 2 boots on one foot (had one dwarf wearing 3 boots).

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 10:18:53 am »

After running around with this boots issue, there are two ways with which my dwarves equip boots with sock/shoes:
 1) Don't replace clothing
 2) Assign two Boots

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 07:30:27 pm »

After running around with this boots issue, there are two ways with which my dwarves equip boots with sock/shoes:
 1) Don't replace clothing
 2) Assign two Boots

Well, the first one is no good, because then you can't wear helms (unless/until you manage to forbid or atom-smash every cap in existence, and magically prevent anyone from bringing more into the fortress).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz