Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Youth.  (Read 1332 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Your Youth.
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:50:07 am »

As one experiencing this, i was wondering how you lot found, or particularly are finding this, and compare between what it was like here and there and whence and meant and even now. Grumbling about kids today is much appreciated and falls on sympathetic ears.

I live in England, an country village to be precise, and have a good few friends. Grades wise, i could be doing far better, but thanks to various mishaps and admittedly my own laziness and distractions at times I've ended up with what i got. Thankfully though for my last lot of Gcse exams i did quite well, thanks to no such mishaps and putting my effort into it more, if not at max capacity, and I've gotten into 6th form with more or less the subjects I've wanted, English, History and Geography, though not psychology this year at least thanks to the maths resit I'll be doing, despite the whole apparent grading balls-up here, though how accurate it is remains to be seen.

On the other hand, I'm uncertain as to what i want to do. I know what i want from my job; travel all over, something that interests me, and something that matters. What exactly that is,though i have no idea. I'm worried about not taking science subjects, as some of the things that interest me most need that, but I'm helped by how diverse the applications of the subjects I'm taking are. Before that though, if i want to get somewhere good for university i need to excel at A levels, which as we all know will take quite the fuckload of work. So, here's hoping.

As for friends and people in general... well, I'm glad i live in the UK, especially after 100 pages into the American election thread (yes, i am reading the whole thing, partially because its useful for my history, which is covering America and Russia and the cold war, but mostly because I'm interested, and as has been said, it's Tragic Comedy.) I don't have much for the progressive rage thread, aside from the slang which is all too common among my friend group. I don't mind not politically correct jokes, but i expect a level of finesse which goes beyond "faggot". Asides from that, there's the usual uncaring attitudes to politics (I'll learn when i can vote!), the idealized wealthy, and the like. I really, really hope that fades one day. It's gotten to the point where a good half or more of the music my friends listen too annoys me simply because of the lifestyles of the people who wrote them. Then there's the frustration at the kind of spending my peers and indeed possibly i do in general, which at the moment i can just about personally justify.

Then of course there's dealing with my own mental scar tissue, which I'm starting to get on top off, and am currently being incentivesed towards in case lordbucket turns out to be right and we have telepathy one day.

So... how was, or is, your youth, what do you think about the rest of ours, and what do you think of today's?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:07:51 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Your Youth.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:08 am »

Shitty. If I hadn't had a wonderful family and more than my share of self control, fear of death, and emotional repression, I- well, I don't really want to go there.

Youth today? Damn young'ns and their "drops" and bookfaces. Which is sort of funny, because I'm barely out of my own youth. I shouldn't be feeling this old.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:40 am »

Youth today? Damn young'ns and their "drops" and bookfaces. Which is sort of funny, because I'm barely out of my own youth. I shouldn't be feeling this old.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure I follow the question here, but assuming I do, I'll say that I really couldn't have asked for a better youth.  Great parents and siblings, and a great environment in general.

I grew up in that sort of awkward phase where computers and video game systems were becoming common in the households, but I got to experience what it was like without those things for my early childhood.  I guess that gives me some perspective that modern kids don't really get, although it's debatable if there's any merit to that at all.

What's pretty funny is that I'm an active part of the IT field, but I still don't keep up with the technology like I should.  I didn't register on Facebook until last year, and that was only because my job require integrating some software with Facebook, which was quite hard to do without an account to test with...

I don't own a smart phone, which is shocking to many people in the IT field.  I just never really felt the need, since I make about 1.7 phone calls a day on average, send about 0.001 texts per day on average, and have internet access most of the time besides.  It's completely different for kids now though.  I've read that it's not uncommon for teenagers to send several thousand text messages a day, which is mind boggling and completely absurd in my opinion.  What's the need for that level of interaction and socialization?  When do they find time to breathe?

Technology fields kind of have the ever present worry of the younger generation being more up to date and staying more up to date than the current generation, and I guess I think about that sometimes.  Maybe it's true.  Maybe I'm becoming a dinosaur already at the age of 25.

That's my view on kids these days and technology / social interaction anyway.  The other cultural aspects I can't really comment on that much since I don't participate in a lot of it or even know what the devil most things are about anymore (such as music and whatever it portrays).  Fads will be fads, and don't last forever.

Truth be told I think that the upcoming generations are probably going to cause changes I'd like to see anyway (for better or worse, that's up to the individual, and I don't think it's necessary to argue over any specific topics).  As they say, the best way to get something controversial changed is to wait for the old ones who don't like it to die.  And every generation is full of heathens who are going to Hell in a hand basket.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:27:51 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:43 am »

The texting thing honestly scares me. I've got a mobile--a $10 Tracphone that I use for emergencies, as a clock at work, and for maybe 2 calls per week. If I need to talk to someone, I email them or *gasp* find them and have an actual face-to-face conversation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27:16 am »

I still feel like a kid. What is up with all these responsibilities, man, when I'm still thinking about Batman.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:37 am »

Must... resist... urge... to... make... plausible... superhero... thread...dsbhjadhbzkjasgjb xdfaesddvfjsvhdzsrkjuv\sdcghs RAGE.
Reading a thinner book

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:51:01 am »

My youth was strange. I was born with a lot of good things (like a large, loving and supporting family, two nationalities, etc) but things went wrong and I have been pretty miserable since around twelve. I'm happy to be growing older, in a way - I can do more things for myself, like finding a job and renting a place to live, and I am getting happier now. Being young was not a fun thing to be.

Young ones today are ... well, I don't know, I've always found it difficult to define a population solely based on their age. Many people today text a hell of a lot - I don't, and apparently, I'm not the only one on this forum :D Generalizations only go so far. What do I think of today's ? I don't know.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:33 am »

Generalizations only go so far. What do I think of today's ? I don't know.
Wise view, man :)

I've never really understood texting. I guess it's easier to hide than talking? But that limits its usefulness over talking to situations like school classrooms and crowded noisy places.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:58 am »

I'd be interested to see what do those people say to each other via texting. I guess it'll explain a lot of things, like how are they able to send thousands of them.

We're probably not using cellphones the same way, which means we don't have the same 'needs' for it. I myself don't have a smartphone, and have bought a cellphone for the first time 6 months ago. I didn't had a land line, so ... It have become useful to have one for me now, but I don't exactly need it, and I probably won't have a smartphone since I don't think I'll ever use it as more than a simple phone.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:28 am »

Now I'm just cynical.

We could do with more of the population being such.
Reading a thinner book

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:58 am »

Pffft. Don't make me hug the cynicism out of you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »

That or die trying.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »

I think it'll be the die part.
Yeah probably.

/shrug

largely due to paranoid people with too many guns, knives and other weapons.
I'd argue it's just that people are too big of assholes. A little more caring, a little more sharing, and those paranoid people might stop thinking everyone's out to get them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

Indeed, isn't much of the cause of asshole behavior related to fear? Afraid of sharing else the other person might not give it back. Afraid of caring else they might be disappointed.

I think our problems are caused by much the same thing.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:02:04 am »

Telgin, i know what you mean. I was in Africa for a good part of my childhood, and it was very different, and oh so fun. It's something i sincerely hope we wont lack.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: [1] 2