Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mircomanagment  (Read 1948 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mircomanagment
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:14 am »

How do you micromanage every dwarf, when they all have messed up names like there's no tomorrow?

I wanna be able to manage my dwarves so that i group them into things like "military/engraver/masons", "useless haulers", "metal industry" and  "food industry".

How do i do that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Mircomanagment
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:52 am »

You can name them, IIRC it's y-n in dwarf's profile. Which you can find by v-ing near one of them and hitting z or in unit list with ( I think ) c on specific dwarf.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:29 am »

I imagine naming them something like "Dwarf #1 - #cap" or "Farmer1" and "Miner3"

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:23 am »

Nowadays I don't even use therapist anymore. When migrants arrive I give them professions that I happen to need at that moment. The professions are mostly permanent and all of my military is always active, except some soldiers might have farming enabled if the fortress will face famine.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:02:22 am »

I use Therapist in addition to DFHack's "autolabor" command - Therapist to check stats, autolabor to go and give jobs. It is quite powerful - I currently have my number of engravers set to 10-20, and only the 20 most skilled engravers (down to a minimum of 10; if there are fewer then useless dorfs automatically get engraving enabled) will have the task enabled. I've also heard on freenode/#dwarffortress that the trunk of DFHack has an autolabor that makes even better guesses than it already does.

As for your custom professions, Therapist has functionality for that.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:25 am »

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:56:39 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:21:17 am »

How do you micromanage every dwarf, when they all have messed up names like there's no tomorrow?
I give them titles according to their labour. Still, they're mostly all Soldiers+Masons or Soldiers+Farmers or Soldiers+Masons+Farmers.
Not much micromanage needed really.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:31 am »

I give em all nicknames too.  I use dwarf therapist, and every time a migration wave comes I spend the next 10 minutes sorting and categorizing them.  Mostly, you spot the good dwarves, make em craftdwarves or whatever, then make all the women haul stuff around all day, and draft all the men.

Ha!  Equality!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:23 am »

Nowadays I don't even use therapist anymore. When migrants arrive I give them professions that I happen to need at that moment. The professions are mostly permanent and all of my military is always active, except some soldiers might have farming enabled if the fortress will face famine.

This is mostly what I do.

Whenever a migrant wave shows up, I will set up their labors depending on what the fortress needs at the time, or I anticipate it to need.  I also nickname them at that time, so I know who has had their labors set up already.  I almost never have to fiddle with labors after this.

The nicknaming convention is up to you.  In my current fort I just use Russian names for flavor, but it's really only a means of distinguishing who has been 'processed' so far.  It's also cool to be able to say things like, "Hey, Sergeant Pankov just removed that guy's teeth with his sword", or, "Why is Major Rykov just chilling in the dining hall on break for 15 months?"
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:47:49 am »

I use numbers as nicknames

000 - Nobles
001 - Miners
002 - Craftsdwarves
003 - Masons, Carpenters, Engravers, Mechanics
004 - Farmers, Brewers, etc
005 Line 1, 2, etc - Different Factories (I favor decentralized fortresses)
006 - Haulers
999 - Medical Staff and children
100, 200, 300 - Different Squads (I use the digits place to signify skill level, and tens place to identify weapon type)
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:57:57 am »

I use numbers as nicknames

000 - Nobles
001 - Miners
002 - Craftsdwarves
003 - Masons, Carpenters, Engravers, Mechanics
004 - Farmers, Brewers, etc
005 Line 1, 2, etc - Different Factories (I favor decentralized fortresses)
006 - Haulers
999 - Medical Staff and children
100, 200, 300 - Different Squads (I use the digits place to signify skill level, and tens place to identify weapon type)

You should have started at 001, so all the Haulers could pretend to be "Bond, James Bond."

Other than that, I personally would make children separate from medical staff so you can't confuse an overgrown dwarven manchild for a doctor, but that's just me.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:32 am »

Therapist custom professions. Then when a dwarf first arrives I can simply right click on them and select the custom profession that I want them to have, then I basically just keep them in that profession. It lets me set labor and change the profession name to a custom one at the same time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 12:51:52 pm »

I call my dwarves what they do.

Miner, Smelter, Burner, Woodcut, etc etc. Dwarf Therapist is a great tool.

I also q, P workshops so only certain ones will use them, turn off their hauling and etc.

Military is another problem, but with dwarf therapist I can make sure new migrant waves get drafted, and changing them names to if im lazy just 'marks' or 'hammers if I got silver, etc is easy enough.

If I can really be bothered I look through their combat skills in DT but usually its just draft you you you etc and not care about skills. Dwarves like to die every now and again, and if im sloppy they probably will die more than usual anyway ;D

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »

I change their profession name to mimic what I want them to be.

Urist McUrist, Immigrant Dwarf will become Urist McUrist, Furnace Operator.

And so on.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: [1] 2