Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Most gruesome injuries  (Read 7008 times)

renasus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Most gruesome injuries
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:25 pm »

Kobold thieves seem to always die in slow, horrifying ways in my forts.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 01:23:16 am »

Not exactly sure if demonic possession counts as an injury but I want to share this.

So I was under the impression that the goblins where the ones who set fire to the trader wagons and scorch the earth around my fortress. This was not the case as it turns out.

Apparently they brought some kind of demonically possessed squirrel that's twisted into human form and breaths fucking fire!

Has anyone else ever heard of something like this? Cause this is one freaky monster and I'm having a bit of trouble killing it. It's not really attacking but it is loitering outside my fortress keeping everyone trapped inside.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:38:13 am »

My werebeast invasions are extremely unimpressive. A volley of 50-60 crossbow bolts to the face solves pretty much any problem.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »

Well. Surely this isn't that gruesome, but for the first time while channeling magma to start up a forge business my legendary miner (Which isn't too hard to get ha ha) decides to straight up get destroyed, turn into a pile of smoke, but next to the channel is every single item (Apart from his body, and pick axe).
Magma mist. If you drop something in magma, it can produce a little puff of mist that is incredibly lethal to dwarves. I assume the floor hadn't been cleared of rocks at the time?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:57 pm »

Most gruesome injury my dwarves suffered and lived through?
A woodcutter getting his arms bit off by a cave crocodile.  That alone made him used to tragedy.  (Then again, he's basically dead weight in that fort.)
Most gruesome injury an adversary suffered?
A troglodyte going through a copper disk trap of great quality, and having the arms, legs, guts, and ears sliced off before dying.  (Probably to blood loss, but also possible from suffocation.
Most grueling injury a dwarf made?
Probably a few stabs here and there, puncturing a lung or other organ.  My dwarves train for combat, just in case the traps at the front fail to kill invaders, or the shaft traps falter, leading to a crundle siege.  (Something I'd love to see...  a crundle siege, so they can play a sport I made up known as "Crundledisk")

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 02:02:46 pm »

The most hilarious chain of unfortunate accidents I've had was with my recent fort.

One of my founders, who was also a miner and mason, so he was super tough, was digging out the magma works. A magma crab appeared and flung a basalt stone at him. That is when the trauma conga line began.

The flying basalt struck him while he was on stairs, knocking him down the stairs. He recovered and went to go rest in the hospital, which was up the stairs.

Upon climbing the stairs again, he was struck by another rock and knocked down the stairs, sustaining more injuries.

Each time he regained consciousness at the bottom of the stairs he would attempt to climb the stairs again, only to be hit by the magma crab which was standing at a higher level, each time being struck by a flying boulder and then falling down the stairs.

This went one for some time before my military arrived and was able to dispatch the magma crab.

The poor miner was then hauled off to the hospital for healing. However before arriving there, the dwarf who rescued him had to stop the job for some reason. Reason is known, but the miner was left in the middle of a corridor. The miner was also left on a mine cart track.

A mine cart ran over the miner, shattering yet more bones. At this point nearly every bone in his body was broken, yet he was somehow still alive.

Another dwarf went to rescue the miner yet again. This rescue job was interrupted by another magma crab, which the military handled.

The miner was still on the mine cart path. The same mine cart ran him over again, this time going the other way.

After disabling the mine cart and stationing my military to head off any more wildlife from sneaking out of the magma, the miner was finally hauled off to the hospital for medical care.

Every bone in his body was broken at that point. All four limbs broken. Upper and lower limbs smashed. Bones shattered. Hands, feet, fingers and toes all broken. Ribs broken. Internal organs bruised.

But he lived! :D

He's now been appointed to be part of the elite military equipped with mining picks. They mine goblinite with exceptional efficiency.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »

On a FB rampage through my fortress, one dwarf got his limbs chewed off one by one before dying of blood loss. Also, one of my soldiers beat a goblin to death with a steel cross bow FOR TWENTY-THREE PAGES STRAIGHT.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:18:05 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 06:42:51 pm »

I don't know if it counts since I never saw it happen but I had a dwarf show up as a migrant already missing a nose. I imagine it's quite hard to get used to that.

He lost it at King's Landing.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 07:01:44 pm »

I don't know if it counts since I never saw it happen but I had a dwarf show up as a migrant already missing a nose. I imagine it's quite hard to get used to that.

He lost it at King's Landing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Fosson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 09:24:44 pm »

This is my first post, I normally read at work, but can't reply. *Also, slightly long read!*

I don't know how to do much in DF, though I've been a lurker/researcher for a couple years now.  My first fortress, Riddleknife, ended, miraculously, after 4 years...since my farm production was sporadic, they were often out of booze AND food, and it wasn't so much a fortress as it was a hole in the ground on some secluded deep forest hill.

Anyway, gruesome highlights:

First was expedition leader Plinky, my miner and drafted commander.  After a few successful defenses against gobbos, she had her arm sliced off, her foot broken, other leg shattered, and remaining hand shattered.  She fell into a pond and struggled for a bit until drowning.  Couldn't recover the body.

After the goblins were routed, fights in the hole broke out, and upon seeing his yak bitten and strangled...Urist McAnimalLover (who's physical description equated to Schwarzenegger) flipped out.  The dwarves piled on him as he suffered bruises from their pitiful punches, but the child they were protecting could not be saved from his wrath.  Two dogs latched onto him, but he ignored them as well.  The Cheesemaker gave his all, but the Caretaker pulled the Cheesemaker's pants off of him and beat him senseless...with the pants.  Bones broke under the ceaseless assault of clothing, and the skull finally caved.  Next, the pants killed the dogs...then two more children.  His frame only suffered bruises, but the pantaloons ended the lives of 3 more dwarves. 

The Caregiver was finally tackled into the storeroom containing the remaining brew (and by the results, apparently spilled a precious barrel or two); to my surprise, his skull was crushed in by the fist of Urist McSurgeon.  What the doctor didn't know was that Tinky (another founder, wielding a pickaxe) lost her mind at the sight of chaos and spilled beer.  He looked up right as she swung a perfectly placed pickaxe into his heart, blood spraying everywhere.

With unfortunate timing, Urist Diagnoser followed the surgeon into the storeroom.  Tinky took an arm off, then shattered his leg; another swing lodged in his lung...she pulled and pulled, as he writhed in agony, until the pick was free.  And before the doctor could fall, she made one last swipe that liberated his head from his shattered body.

(right after, Tinky fell to another deadly fist to the skull, which punctured the brain.  Tantrum spiral was over.)

Alas, someone forgot to order more coffins.  The ghosts rose and they haunted...but the spirit of angry Urist McAnimalLover decided to pull the arms off two new doctors, resulting in one death, and a large mess.
The arm pulling caused the second tantrum spiral, and the dwarves, in panic, tried to rob the caravan crew (my desperate attempt for weapons and food.)  Riddleknife's doom was sealed when another band of gobbos entered the fight.

The last gruesome and notable death was when Mayor Urist McUseless (who no one ever listened to) got into a fight down in the dormitory.  Sadly, with one broken hand, and a punch to the shoulder which sent the bone through his lung, he lay gasping for breath and futilely trying to push away the dwarf pounding on his prone body.  The Engraver was tackled and locked with another rival, the Mayor of Riddleknife suffocated next to the scuffle.

(these moments of chaos was when I fell in love with the game, and as you can tell, I'm horrible at it.  But seriously, I've heard maybe one case of de-pantsing in DF, but I've never read any stories...in any media...of someone beating multiple friends, children, and dogs to death with a pair of low quality trousers.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:36:36 pm by Urist Fosson »

mastodon871

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 02:08:44 pm »

I only lurk the forums occasionally, though I've been enjoying DF for years. However, when reading this thread, i felt compelled to post a screenshot I took a few months back.

This occurred shortly after the military changes were done a while back. I was building a militia, and was having some issues with understanding the new training/scheduling system. I had a few squads of proficient or better dorfs in iron plate/chain/weapons which I had trained on various cave monsters and helpless wildlife. This particular poor soul was the leader of one such squad.

long story short, a multiple-squad large scale goblin siege occurred. I was busy exploring the caves, and so my military (which was patrolling the caves) arrived on the scene rather disorderly. Among the enemy were a melee squad or two, some groups of archers, and a pack of trolls. She arrived early, singlehandedly killed several trolls, a few archer platoons, and distracting the enemy long enough to get my marksdwarves and hammerdwarves outside and my civilians inside, she collapsed broken like this on a hillside, surrounded by a few dozen goblin and troll corpses, blood, and dismembered limbs. she laid there like this for roughly half a season iirc, before succumbing to blood loss. I snapped this screenshot to show a friend who was just playing DF for the first time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »

Had my first sortie. It mostly went well, although one dwarf was dragged away from the station point and I had to restation the other dwarves to get them to rescue him with violence. The resulting medical care went well, with assortment of dabblers taking a month to apply soap, 7 sets of sutures, 2 bone settings, 5 dressings, and 4 splints, plus taking the dwarf to the traction bench. In another month his wounds list was clear of red text and he'd shrugged off a solitary infection despite him having no special recuperative powers, but unfortunately, as his injury tally shows...

Right lower leg, skin / fat / muscle
Sensory nerve severed
-----
Left hand, skin / fat / muscle
-----
Right upper leg, skin / fat / muscle
-----
Left upper arm, skin / fat / muscle
Motor nerve severed
-----
Right foot, skin / fat / muscle
Motor nerve severed
-----
Right upper arm, skin / fat / muscle
Motor nerve severed
Right shoulder, muscle
-----
Right lower arm, skin / fat / muscle
-----
Left upper arm, skin / fat / muscle
Motor nerve severed
Sensory nerve severed
-----
Right foot, skin / muscle
Motor nerve severed
Sensory nerve severed
-----
Right upper arm, skin / fat
-----

Yup, motor nerve damage to all four limbs, plus a second severed nerve in the right foot for good measure. He can stay in traction, I think.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »

A pair of Marksdwarves realized that it was ineffective to hit a crippled goblin lasher with bone crossbows. Each one bit an eye and shook him around until he died.

I don't think they should be allowed near other dwarves anymore.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 06:52:36 pm »

I don't know if it counts as an injury, but when half the military gets the clown syndrome causing necrosis on every single body part and lives just long enough to reach the hospital and spread the syndrome further... that's pretty darn gruesome. Everybody's waiting for the soldiers to come home victorious, and instead they're dragged in half-rotted, bloated, exuding misama all over the place--and still alive.

But we paid the clowns back. Atom-smashed the bodies, raised the bridges, trained new soldiers. Took half the fort population, but the dwarves came out on top. All those atom-smashed dwarves got masterwork slabs, too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:54:23 pm by Callista »

BlueSam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 07:06:20 pm »

Some more or less decent soldiers were chasing the remnants of a siege, gangbanging a goblin: after falling and droping his weapons and shield, the bastard got enraged and bit off the militia captains tongue, before being killed.

I guess his fantastic linguistic habilities are not much use anymore.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3