Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest standing fortress  (Read 4832 times)

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Longest standing fortress
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:04:06 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what's your longest standing fortress? Seems like if one plays their cards right you could last for quite awhile; If you weren't overran or stricken with some kind of disaster, what were your reasons for abandoning the fort?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:32:32 am by OtaconPliskin »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Longest standing fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:39:00 am »

Don't rememeber exactly how long, but long enough for clothes to rot away and as a result, my Dorfs tantrum-spiral the fortress to death.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:53 am »

I usually get bored, s'yeah. I think probobly bout 20 years in-game time (old mega-project).
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:11:56 am »

yea , after 20 years you have nothing to do anymore .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21:07 am »

I measure the longevity of my fortress not in years, but in tantrum spirals. For some reason, starting after the first 10 years, every 5 years, there will be a devastating tantrum spiral taking out at least 60% of the population, that will then almost immediately settle down to everyone becoming ecstatic again (due to excellent living conditions and their grief wearing off). The population quickly refills from migrants due to the immense wealth of the fortress. This 'reset' allows the fortress to seemingly continue eternally.
My oldest for I remember lasted 6 spirals, putting it at approximately 40 years in age.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:24:16 am »

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:24:23 am »

with a legendary swordsdwarf squad you will kill almost anything .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:21 am »

I usually estatic to make it into the first fall.

I think the longest fort I've had made it maybe 3 years?

Wow, I just realized that I'm really bad at this game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:00 am »

I mostly abandon my Forts after 3-5 years. I just find that something will irritate me and I'll choose to abandon the fort.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:52 am »

Wow, I just realized that I'm really bad at this game.
No, you're just really good at having Fun :P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:56 am »

The longest fort I've had survive is I believe my community fort, which survived with exceptionally little trouble for 15 game years or so.  I accidentally embarked away from danger, so I never got any sieges or ambushes, just a few pesky thieves.

My current fort is close to 10 years old and gets slammed by ambushes every season, and has had a lot more Fun.  I expect it to hold out for many years to come though.

I'd like to see a fort last into the 20s, but FPS death and stagnation (from the community fort for example) have prevented that.  I've been taking aggressive anti FPS death measures in my current fort, but the FPS still creeps ever closer to 0...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:31 am »

Several mine lasted around 15 years. You know there's a moment after which you just can't get FUN, I did experience a few tantrum spirals but those has never been powerful enough to distract me from building various goblin destruction devices. And apart from tantrum spirals everything else is child's play. Well, except the most powerful enemy of every player: FPS death. When fps drops below 20, I usually abandon the game.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »

When do you consider a fortress unrecoverable?

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

I measure the longevity of my fortress not in years, but in tantrum spirals. For some reason, starting after the first 10 years, every 5 years, there will be a devastating tantrum spiral taking out at least 60% of the population, that will then almost immediately settle down to everyone becoming ecstatic again (due to excellent living conditions and their grief wearing off). The population quickly refills from migrants due to the immense wealth of the fortress. This 'reset' allows the fortress to seemingly continue eternally.
My oldest for I remember lasted 6 spirals, putting it at approximately 40 years in age.

Why is that? Did you forget to make clothes or something?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »

30 years had to abandon because no seiges...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.
Pages: [1] 2