Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get my archers to shoot this yeti?  (Read 915 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
How do I get my archers to shoot this yeti?
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:56:37 pm »

I made a pit with a bridge over it.  I put a yeti in a cage across the pit
attatched a lever to the cage and pit.  The Yeti was free, the bridge pulled back -- the yeti is on the right side -- yay.

I tell my archer/potential archer squad kill yeti. 

They have some bolts; they have some crossbows.  They aren't shooting the yeti -- "no reachable valid target"  :o

It looks kinda like this
H = wall
'=floor=,
Y= yeti
> = ramp

HHHHHHHHHHH
!!C,,,,,,,  >,,,,,,,,HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
'''''''''Y''''   >'''''''''''''''''''    dwarves standing around going "yup, it's a yeti"

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my archers to shoot this yeti?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:05:56 pm »

attatched a lever to the cage and pit.  The Yeti was free, the bridge pulled back -- the yeti is on the right side -- yay.

They have some bolts; they have some crossbows.  They aren't shooting the yeti -- "no reachable valid target"  :o

It looks kinda like this
H = wall
'=floor=,
Y= yeti
> = ramp

HHHHHHHHHHH
'''''''''Y''''   >'''''''''''''''''''    dwarves standing around going "yup, it's a yeti"

I'm guessing they can't walk up to the yeti? If they're given a kill order they will usually try to path to it, even if they're marksdwarves.

If it's considered hostile, stationing them nearby should work.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my archers to shoot this yeti?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »

It looks kinda like this
H = wall
'=floor=,
Y= yeti
> = ramp

HHHHHHHHHHH

I'm guessing they can't walk up to the yeti? If they're given a kill order they will usually try to path to it, even if they're marksdwarves.

If it's considered hostile, stationing them nearby should work.
Got beat to the punch.

Yea, marksdwarves will attack something if stationed near them, but not of ordered to. Station in sorta "Kill exerything nearby defense" while kill is "Beat him to death with whatever you have handy" Since they aren't capable of beating him to death, it doesn't work. Incidentally, ordering them to kill something is the best way to make them not use their crossbows, in my experiance. Their thought process becomes "Zerg rush!" and the only way to have them attack like that is to someow fulfill the zergrush portion without being in the range where they default to melee.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now