Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How would you change bogeymen?  (Read 3707 times)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
How would you change bogeymen?
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:39:21 pm »

Alright, I know that nearly everyone who plays adventure has some suggestion of how to improve or alter bogeymen. As it stands they're annoying, often kill characters, but also serve as a reason to get companions.

Anyhow, if you could, how would you change bogeymen?
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: How would you change bogeymen?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »

Make them slower, it would solve anything.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »

It would be kinda nice if they didn't keep spawning right next to you when you try to run away.

I have no problem with being hunted by night creatures. But it starts to seem a little silly when apparently there are millions of them spaced evenly across the entire world behind every single tree.

With those numbers why don't they just come of of the shadows and build a freaking town?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »

It would be kinda nice if they didn't keep spawning right next to you when you try to run away.

I have no problem with being hunted by night creatures. But it starts to seem a little silly when apparently there are millions of them spaced evenly across the entire world behind every single tree.

With those numbers why don't they just come of of the shadows and build a freaking town?

The thing is, there are usually only 5 or so, they just teleport to keep up with you. After you kill 5 they vanish.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:10:04 pm »

The thing is, there are usually only 5 or so, they just teleport to keep up with you. After you kill 5 they vanish.

Also, bogeymen are theoretically immortal. Like the Daedra from the Elder Scrolls series; you can dispel their physical forms, but you'll only be sending them back to Oblivion and they can just return once they've grown strong enough. And I don't think they really like the dwarf fortress worlds that much, they just enter them to go hunting. It's probably hotter than they'd like or something.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »

I don't think I would alter how Bogeyman fight or spawn. They add a nice feature that gives you reason to fear the night - at least if you are a newbie adventurer starting out.

However, I would like it if perhaps they attacked you less frequently and other stuff ambushed you at night. A good example is night creatures like Trolls, Vampires, Were-monsters, or what not - I would prefer if we had more of them possibly attacking us and the Bogeyman were more of 'fluff' monster that just gets thrown in to round things out.

It's just one of those things that is a good feature, but over-emphasized a bit.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:24 pm »

I don't think I would alter how Bogeyman fight or spawn. They add a nice feature that gives you reason to fear the night - at least if you are a newbie adventurer starting out.

However, I would like it if perhaps they attacked you less frequently and other stuff ambushed you at night. A good example is night creatures like Trolls, Vampires, Were-monsters, or what not - I would prefer if we had more of them possibly attacking us and the Bogeyman were more of 'fluff' monster that just gets thrown in to round things out.

It's just one of those things that is a good feature, but over-emphasized a bit.

I completely agree with this! (and Joben's post too haha) It would be nice if maybe some nights you could maybe NOT be attacked by them and walk through the woods unhindered. As is they are so unfailingly predictable.

I didn't know there were only five, maybe this will give me a reason to stand and fight more often.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:34:50 pm by Viking »

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »

I think I should also add they only attack you near settlements. If you're out in the middle of nowhere they leave you alone (last I checked)
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:48:24 am »

Also, bogeymen are theoretically immortal. Like the Daedra from the Elder Scrolls series; you can dispel their physical forms, but you'll only be sending them back to Oblivion and they can just return once they've grown strong enough. And I don't think they really like the dwarf fortress worlds that much, they just enter them to go hunting. It's probably hotter than they'd like or something.
as much as I played a bogeyman, I agree to this theory though my playthroughs as bogiemen outside of the crattling proves that they are unable to fully claim kills, and traveling alone would lead to their deaths, by either other bogeymen, or the crackling taking them back when they attempt to escape it a second time.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:17:43 am »

Make them able to dig their way into fortresses, scaring the beards off oblivious dorfs.

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 07:30:04 pm »

I'd be happy if they were given procedurally generated names based on their body types/appendages and size
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:21 pm »

I think I'd keep the speed the same, but make them bigger, then give them claws and sharp teeth and make their attack actually DEADLY, but less stupid retarded crits that always seem to have to aim for your teeth or ears or something...

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 06:16:45 am »

I'd remove them from the Kills list. Maybe give them some kind of power that affects the PC when they score a hit, and then disappears when the last Bogeyman has been killed or they disappear in the morning.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

gordogomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 07:04:04 am »

I think they don't fit with the "simulation" goal of the game. To me they feel like the game is cheating on you. If they where actual creatures that spawn at night at certain points of the map and then start roaming, hunting for adventurers, that would be a different thing. But as it is, they just poof into existence right next to you the moment night falls.

detroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 07:17:11 am »

Debuff their Kicks and punches, so those miracle killing weapons don't work like a BIG GOOD PLATINUM maul.

And their teeth don't penetrate my copper/bronze armor so easily, that's all I want.  :-[
Pages: [1] 2