Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need help with a patrol route  (Read 832 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
need help with a patrol route
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:04:49 pm »

I've set up my marksdwarf route in a U room which oversee the entrance and also has a nice view of the surrounding hills, but dwarves have the habit of patrolling outside the fortified position and getting killed. why don't they patrol near the points?

here's my setup:

if I view the dwarf status, it says 'patrolling route x'  :-\

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: need help with a patrol route
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

From my understanding, a patrol route doesn't tell a dwarf what tile to reach on his/her path, just a general area to be. If the dwarf can get near the patrol stop from the outside it might do that instead, especially if it's easier to get near all the points from the outside.

In a general case, you can increase the likelyhood of a dwarf patroling where you want it to by:
Widening the hallways. More viable space where you want the dwarf to be makes it more likely to be there.
Removing nearby ground. By the same logic, less viable space where you don't want the dwarf to be makes it less likely to be there.
Make alternative paths more difficult. This will make the intended path the easiest (pathfinding wise).

Try making the route descend those stairs, or just go to the back of that room; this should make it impossible to get near that patrol stop from anywhere else, which should keep him upstairs behind the safety of those fortifications.

By the way, any gobbo crossbowman will be able to shoot your dorfs like cave lobsters in a *-barrel-* just by walking up to those southern fortifications.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »

By the way, any gobbo crossbowman will be able to shoot your dorfs like cave lobsters in a *-barrel-* just by walking up to those southern fortifications.

Both problems can be fixed by manner of digging a large trench around the patrol's perimeter. Accuracy of shooting through a non-adjacent fortification takes a severe hit.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »

gobbos can't reach it, I've removed all outside ramps to that area, I left it there just to leave something of the original mountain as entrance  :P

I've tried moving the patrol route up just a bit and it worked, thanks.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »

Patrol markers are similar to station order marks, dwarves will try to get as close as they can to it, within around two or three spaces, if they can walk to it. I've had a lot of frustration with station orders too until I just trenched everything or had it off-ground :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »

Station orders put each dwarf in a 7x7 square centred on the station point. I don't know if patrol route points have the same spacing, but it's likely. If that is the case then moving the bottom four points up one tile will put the only pathable floor for that point within the fortifications.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:22:48 pm »

Station orders put each dwarf in a 7x7 square centred on the station point. I don't know if patrol route points have the same spacing, but it's likely. If that is the case then moving the bottom four points up one tile will put the only pathable floor for that point within the fortifications.
Does that 7x7 square carry through zlvls?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:36:27 pm »

Nope, if it does, they've not done it on my watch, even on stair with accessible floors above and below. It's accessible path on same Z within certain range dealsie.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »

Nope, if it does, they've not done it on my watch, even on stair with accessible floors above and below. It's accessible path on same Z within certain range dealsie.
Yep, totally right. I just stationed all my marksdwarves on a wall during a siege, everysingle one got up on it and shot down at the passing goblins.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now