Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253449 times)

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #1245 on: July 04, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »

So when can we expect to hand you guys all of our money? I don't want to have both DF2014 AND Clockwork Empires at the same time... I'd never finish college.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 04, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »

The DF update is due, what, any day now?  We'll give you some warning, but you may be doomed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 04, 2014, 04:20:19 pm »

Solid deadlines are the development devil, anyway. Summer is a good ballpark. Not telling which summer is a much better one.

Incidentally, I can guarantee the game will be out by some Tuesday. Some Tuesday is the best ETA.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 04, 2014, 07:52:07 pm »

If the game turns out to be as easy to mod as it has been implied, I think that will also help with those who are less than satisfied with the initial state of things. Nothing like a group of Madboys/Madgirls creating engines of despair mods to help keep the common worker enslaved enthralled.

I don't know what's been implied about modding CE but there is this tweet.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:21 pm »

Considering the span of time the game takes place in, would it not be inconceivable for the game to eventually reach some sort of diesely-early 20th century with giant robots powered by demonic energies, built with the intent of reducing labour needs rampaging through the lands?

Would giant robots with the capability of destroying buildings be something moddable?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 09, 2014, 01:52:45 am »

Considering the span of time the game takes place in, would it not be inconceivable for the game to eventually reach some sort of diesely-early 20th century with giant robots powered by demonic energies, built with the intent of reducing labour needs rampaging through the lands?

Would giant robots with the capability of destroying buildings be something moddable?
Things on tracks (in other words, train-like things) would be easy enough for that sort of tech... Free-roaming robots, particularly on natural terrain, requires much more work. By their very nature, such things would be VERY* heavy, and thus prone to sinking into the ground or getting stuck in a pit if conditions are anything less than ideal. I would say you would probably be better off keeping such things at least on solid ground able to support their bulk. Rails or tracks of some sort would have the strongest historical precedent; before self-propelled trains, they saw use similar to Dwarf Fortress minecart tracks for wagons and other large loads, and their use goes back thousands of years. And if the vehicle's necessary weight requires sturdy ground to be constructed and leveled, tracks are probably easier anyway and removes the need for ever-finicky steering devices. So giant robots would largely only make sense if confined to some form of rails or tracks.

*Bronze, brass and copper have densities around 8-9g/cm^3; which means a single cubic meter of the stuff is 8500 kg. The biggest advantage modern robots have over steampunk robots, aside from the ability for them to have easily created control software, is weight. More modern materials and alloys, like plastics and aluminums, are more like 1-2g/cm^3. Taking into account additional structural needs due to this added weight in combination with more bulky fuel, power, and control systems: you're looking at really heavy robots. Anything short of durable rails or a meter of poured concrete, and I suspect you would find you're halfway underground.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:03 am »

Why bother with demonic energies? Instead, domesticate and miniaturize the obelisk monsters, teach them to eat only cabbage, and replace the obelisks with the steam, gas, fishperson oil, or nightmare powered machinery of your choice. Now your colony's basic labor needs are provided by tiny steampunk cuthuloid Evas. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 09, 2014, 04:35:38 am »

Well, Gainax Endings are rather difficult to quantify as "wrong" or "right" or "sensible." In this respect, it would be right up CE's alley.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:22 am »

Anything short of durable rails or a meter of poured concrete, and I suspect you would find you're halfway underground.
Giant mole bot.

Also steampunk Shai-Hulud. Especially steampunk Shai-Hulud. The tea must flow.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:26 pm »

Hah, to have a noble become a local religious deity.  You think they could get away with Atreides or Harkonnen as a surname?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 09, 2014, 04:23:31 pm »

We have angered the blog gods.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 09, 2014, 05:03:48 pm »

Written!  It has a bunch of stuff in it!

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/09/the-state-of-the-empire-summer-2014/

Doesn't dieselpunk require actual fossil fuels?  I don't know if eldritch energy counts, but... i mean, it's kind of similar now that i think about it.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »

Well apparently at least one of your tags has been used multiple times now. :P

The "Daniel seriously used the word "polygenic phenotypes" when discussing military squad behaviour" has seen the light of day once more!

Also, I assume someone from our group compared the fishpeople to goblins, I can't imagine anyone else doing that readily.

EDIT:  Okay, now I really want to know what the FRONTIER JUSTICE button does.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:46:49 pm by Karkov »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 09, 2014, 05:48:14 pm »

Really great to see that you've put a roadmap of sorts with your early access. There's nothing I hate more than the perpetual early access/beta that so many games are stuck in (DF excluded, as it's free).

However, one thing I would suggest is a really short (rough) list of what needs to be done to reach feature completion. I know you've kinda done that, but a sort of bullet point list would be good for clarity. Obviously it wouldn't need to be set in stone, but a quick round up on your store page would help people who are glancing at it to see how much it'll change from what it is now to the finished product.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 09, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »

There are plans!  I'm so sorry that we duplicated a tag :(  It wasn't me!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 105