Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253428 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #1215 on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:26 pm »

Oh right, the Jorji avatar, I had forgotten about that one.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:38 pm »

New blog post is up!  Finally ironing out our process for releasing builds without known instabilities (hooray!)

Generally the current builds have far fewer issues, and we're putting in fun stuff here and there.  There's more quantification of progress (we put in a counter for number of living characters in a settlement), less pathing issues (animals *may* no longer walk through doors without opening them), and we have temporarily turned down the simulation detail on a few things while we focus on more important things (discussed in the post)

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/06/25/hot-testing-action-and-starvation/

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 25, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »

Are some foods going to get tags or whatnot that make them preferable fresh? I, for one, prefer most of my fruits raw to cooked given the choice. Not that I mind a nice fruit pie, mind you, but given the option between apple stew and fresh apples, I'd rather go with the fresh apples.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:09 pm »

We could... it would require that people have some sort of preference for their fruits that is set by either initial conditions or the events which they experience.  Currently the character attributes are much more broad than that.  I doubt we'll get to that level of depth with them in any reasonable period of time, but given many years to work on this simulation, yeah, we'd totally be into that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 25, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »

We could... it would require that people have some sort of preference for their fruits that is set by either initial conditions or the events which they experience.  Currently the character attributes are much more broad than that.  I doubt we'll get to that level of depth with them in any reasonable period of time, but given many years to work on this simulation, yeah, we'd totally be into that.

I was thinking more of a tag that gave certain raw foods equal preference with cooked foods. So someone might go for the meat stew or the bowl of fresh berries equally often, but skip on the raw meat unless really necessary.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 26, 2014, 05:47:47 pm »

You could also mix it up, in that there is some stacking effect that characters stop receiving as much nutrition (or more simply a thought malus) if they keep eating the same kind of food, and then check for that malus whenever they go to get food (so they avoid it if they can). So they might prefer a steak or roast most of the time or five course gourmet meal, but if they keep eating even that they'll eventually go for a raw cabbage or fishperson.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:51:22 pm by Niveras »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 26, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »

You could also mix it up, in that there is some stacking effect that characters stop receiving as much nutrition (or more simply a thought malus) if they keep eating the same kind of food, and then check for that malus whenever they go to get food (so they avoid it if they can). So they might prefer a steak or roast most of the time or five course gourmet meal, but if they keep eating even that they'll eventually go for a raw cabbage or fishperson.

Or Dave.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 26, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »

Or Dave.
I imagine that Dave's nutritional content isn't much different to that of a steak.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 26, 2014, 06:25:28 pm »

Or Dave.
I imagine that Dave's nutritional content isn't much different to that of a steak.
You haven't heard of a steak named Dave?  ;)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 28, 2014, 01:14:33 am »

If there is spoilage in the game, is it progressive, or all-or-nothing?

If spoilage is in game, then maybe a single preference could be implemented across the board, a "spoilage tolerance" or "age tolerance", if spoilage is based solely on age.

This would weight the preferences of every character more towards fresher foods, but if a character had a high spoilage tolerance, walking the extra ten paces to get the bread baked today might not be worth it in their mind.

Overseers would probably trend lower on the spoilage tolerance, and workers higher.  Happiness could be influenced by eating foods above their spoilage tolerance.  This could lead to occasional revolts by epicureans.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 02, 2014, 05:48:56 pm »

Simulation me wants to do this.  Project management me thinks this way lies madness.  We've discussed it a few times at length, and it's currently in the "someday" pile.  I have heard rumor that the game system is extremely easy to mod, but since I don't want to be the guy that ruins the compatibility of your food rotting mod, I'm declining to comment officially.

Also there was a new blog post today!  And I have had absolutely no time to spend here right now and i feel bad, i miss the low ceilings and abundance of mushroom beer.

Edit: the link: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/02/technical-status-update-a-young-lads-message/

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »

Shame you can't stay longer, we could have chat lazily over the lava pit about how the new version comes out next week.

Victory Garden?  ... Isn't that Vector and Solifuge?  You have them doing UI work?  Tell us more!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:01:32 pm by Karkov »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 02, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »

Vicious pummeling!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:30 pm »

Victory gardens were home gardens that grew food to send off to soldiers. Vector/Soli and Gaslamp draw from the same well.

Also, I kinda liked the Pit of Gleebnothax...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1229 on: July 02, 2014, 09:06:45 pm »

Victory gardens were intended to reduce citizens' use of rationed goods back in WW 1/2.

On a side note, there's little a typical person over here could do to get anything grown in those gardens into the hands of a soldier off in war back then.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 105