Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253430 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #1185 on: June 18, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »

*Why is it strangely fitting that spellcheck wants this to be "britches"?

Fitting.

That's punny.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 18, 2014, 07:24:42 pm »

Nah, "FIXME" is a code comment we use when we're putting in a hack that we know is sub-optimal.  A large amount of game dev, from my experience at least, involves building just enough and then improving later, rather than building fully robust systems all the way through.  You usually don't know all the use-cases for code at the start, and even then, you might rip out the feature later.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 18, 2014, 07:27:23 pm »

Nah, "FIXME" is a code comment we use when we're putting in a hack that we know is sub-optimal.  A large amount of game dev, from my experience at least, involves building just enough and then improving later, rather than building fully robust systems all the way through.  You usually don't know all the use-cases for code at the start, and even then, you might rip out the feature later.
havent gotten my code yet

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 18, 2014, 09:27:50 pm »

THE TIME WILL COME

*cough*

Turns out that we had some horrible memory leaks, which have pushed back the next wave of "testing" by probably a day.  Bad news: those of you who were chosen for suffering are not yet suffering.  Good news: it'll be more of the suffering you ...deserve?  want?  This got weird.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »

Probably a need at this point.  These are Dwarf Fort players we're talking about, we're accustomed to suffering.

The more I think about it, the more I don't really think I've heard anything about late game stuff, has there been any stuff thrown in besides the steam knight for late game?  Or has most of the development been towards getting it up and running insofar?

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:55 pm »

Late game continues to be a really active topic of discussion internally, and there are a bunch of systems designed for this, but they're basically contingent on interactions with the parts that are at play in the early game.  There's a ton of work done on buildings, machines, and monsters that we haven't discussed and aren't in the game, but we're holding onto them until we can add them later. 

As an example, David and I have been talking quite a bit lately about what we've internally labeled "dynamics lines" (power lines, water pipes, etc.) and how we can make these systems work to improve the player experience without cluttering too much.  Everything but the visual design i'm sold on: it frees characters to be more productive (cause more trouble) and allows players to improve rates of production of food, weapons, building materials, and stuff like that.  We're running some tests to hopefully come together on the visual design as well.  I mention that system because it's a "late game" ish thing.  When most everyone is dead due to some mysterious illness, you need fewer people to be able to hold things together.

In general though, we'll be rolling out most of the later game stuff as we do early access: we want a stable base to grow it.  Also, we don't *really* know how a large group of players is going to play the game, so we want to be able to prioritize parts of the game that people seem most interested in pushing toward.  I suspect that most people are going to really want us to finish the concurrent multiplayer implementation ASAP so they can mess with each other, which will lead to people wanting more sophisticated and horrible ways to mess with each other, but we'll see :)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 18, 2014, 10:05:00 pm »

THE TIME WILL COME

*cough*

Turns out that we had some horrible memory leaks, which have pushed back the next wave of "testing" by probably a day.  Bad news: those of you who were chosen for suffering are not yet suffering.  Good news: it'll be more of the suffering you ...deserve?  want?  This got weird.

By all means take your time. I have a couple other projects going anyway (but I WILL get to CE whenever you guys are ready).

Re: late-game stuff,

I remember way-back near the reveal some of us on the gaslamp forums were bouncing general end-game philosophy around with David. The gist of it was give-take on "every colony is DOOOMED in fun ways" vs "winning should be possible, if difficult." I was in the latter camp, but some of you guys were pretty in favor of the former, if I remember correctly. Has that been further hashed out in the months since?

I mean, Losing is Fun, but if it's the only option and you can't really combat it... it's kinda not, for me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 18, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »

Well, you could always do both. Every colony is doomed, but doom is how you win. "Well, don't worry lad, your thriving metropolis came crumbling down because of a spot of the eldritch, but not to worry, not to worry, off you go lad!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 18, 2014, 11:00:25 pm »

You know I had actually hoped that their career mode would do that... If you lose at a colony you can pick a different one that's either a bit more tame or just as tough and try a second go. End-of-campaign "rank" or whatever would be determined by how many "minor setbacks" you suffered at the hands of non-Euclidian horrors. I haven't heard a career mode mentioned in quite some time though, so I don't know if it's still a thing or not.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:43 pm »

There should be options other than failure.  In games like these though, all that means is there is some sort of "stable solution".  See SimCity or DF.  Our only real goal as far as what to do about that is that once you get there, we can continue to challenge players in interesting ways.  This'll involve scaling the severity of problems with metrics like how long it's been since one of your characters has been mortally wounded, how long it's been since buildings have been destroyed... stuff like that.  It's of course tricky to make these metrics not create their own stable state (building a workshop in the middle of nowhere to appease the dark gods or something), but I think we can make it work.  That said, some of the problems you might be ill-equipped to deal with, in which case you'll probably just get everyone killed. :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 18, 2014, 11:33:21 pm »

... on the other hand, having incentive to build workshops out in the middle of nowhere as appeasement to the dark gods sounds... appealing? To me. It's like creating your own little horror stories out in the woods as a meta-strategy of survival.

"Why do you have your pottery industry on the other end of the island?"
"Uh... no reason. It's just... a thing that works, you know? Keeps the population stable, in my experience. Mostly."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 19, 2014, 12:17:13 am »

THE TIME WILL COME

*cough*

I have dual SSD's and 24GB RAM.  Try me.  If nothing else, the size of the dump files should be... adequate.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 19, 2014, 02:35:22 am »

... on the other hand, having incentive to build workshops out in the middle of nowhere as appeasement to the dark gods sounds... appealing? To me. It's like creating your own little horror stories out in the woods as a meta-strategy of survival.

"Why do you have your pottery industry on the other end of the island?"
"Uh... no reason. It's just... a thing that works, you know? Keeps the population stable, in my experience. Mostly."

I like this idea, even more so in the case of "time since last mortal wound". Imagine there is a fish people attack every so often, a bit stronger every time, unless you leave innocent children chained to a certain, rune-engraved rock just beneath the floodline every month.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 19, 2014, 05:35:46 am »

Is there going to be any kind of population cap?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 19, 2014, 09:29:27 am »

•FIXED: death of animals no longers triggers tragedy music (as tragic as it may be to us vegans -dgb)
As a fellow vegan, I must say this saddens me  :(

I raise my seitan in salute, David.  (And then eat it, because holy crap I love this stuff)
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 105