Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253220 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #900 on: February 26, 2014, 08:27:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it bad the first thing I thought was "Wow, there's going to be bipedal [hopefully intelligent] fish people?!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 26, 2014, 08:39:11 pm »

Is it bad the first thing I thought was "Wow, there's going to be bipedal [hopefully intelligent] fish people?!"
If you were actually surprised at the human meat thing, then yes, it was a bad thing. Otherwise, yes, that was my first thought too!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 26, 2014, 09:23:43 pm »

i am surprised by the human meat.
few developers have the balls nowadays to put controverse things into their games nowadays.
kudos! i love you :)
wont send you sleep tho. you would not want my sleep anyway.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »

You can have my sleep. I don't use it anyways. :P

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 26, 2014, 10:08:31 pm »

Clockwork Empires is real!!!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/26/bite_labs_is_probably_a_prank_artisanal_salami_from_celebrity_tissue_samples.html

Sort of. I guess the demonic cultists don't focus purely on putting celebrities in the colonial food.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 27, 2014, 05:02:59 am »

If I can't have a thriving trade in human meat I will be very disappointed
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

infiniteseq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 27, 2014, 05:42:09 am »

Instead of "Wait, we can make human meat?"
Yeah, people communicating in english usually read/view multipart images letf-to-right, so the pleasing fact that humans are not made out of vacuum should have been noticed before the fact that fish-people are also made of something ;-)

infiniteseq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 27, 2014, 06:14:59 am »

If I can't have a thriving trade in human meat I will be very disappointed
Well, humans grow slowly, and being able to mass-produce them might kill some aspects of the game. For me, some mechanics to stage accidents and other ways of making people disappear without raising too much suspiction (and, of course, being able to choose whom to convert to meat chunks/blocks in times of hunger) would seem much more appropriate.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 27, 2014, 06:52:09 am »

Given that humans are so slow to grow, weedy, and high-maintenance I imagine that they would be a luxury product.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:50 am »

Given that humans are so slow to grow, weedy, and high-maintenance I imagine that they would be a luxury product.
Well, they grow pretty quickly at first. It's just that after the initial growth spurt their growth slows down. So babies would be a much more economical method of obtaining human meat than full grown adults.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:42 am »

I find it hilarious how casually this is being discussed. On any forum other than Bay12 people would be freaking out at this. Dwarf Fortress has made us terrible people :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 27, 2014, 08:07:37 am »

I find it hilarious how casually this is being discussed. On any forum other than Bay12 people would be freaking out at this. Dwarf Fortress has made us terrible people :P

Did you not read my link? People are trying to sell "celebrity meat" in sausage form. Don't you want to try a nice vat grown hunk of James Franco?

Personally I don't but w/e. I bet it would be hilarious when combined with voyeuristic eating though.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 27, 2014, 08:49:33 am »

Darn, someone made the veal joke before I could get to it, now what am I going to post? Anyways, it's nice to see population control can be done profitably! I wonder if you can mix meats to trade it at a higher value/at all (a la the horse meat scandal last year. Horses are people too you know!).

infiniteseq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 27, 2014, 09:36:29 am »

Well, they grow pretty quickly at first. It's just that after the initial growth spurt their growth slows down. So babies would be a much more economical method of obtaining human meat than full grown adults.

Also, young meat should be tastier, so yeah, definitely luxury product. But you can't put baby meat products into game you are intending to sell (unless it is from iron-age finland ;-).

Or can you ? (hint, hint  ;) ;) ;))

Demand for "luxury baby meat" would also be highly questionable. So if human meat is to be int the game, creating human meat industry is perhaps a bit too much for the general public (which would of course be hyped up by some attention-seeking whiner).

Even large-scale trade of human meat should not be possible (and small scale - like you slipped some human meat in the shipment - should have possible repercussions).

Also, *"Citizen Coggle"-leather pants* or +"Administator McHated"-bone axle+ would be perhaps too much.

Not really, a [reasonable] bit of desensitization never hurt anybody. A lot of people should at least digest the fact that when they eat meat, they are participating in the slaughter of animal. Had they had the guts to do it themselves (not possible in cities, but the hypocrisy part stays valid), the animal would have probably suffered less.

And "given the opportunity", self-preservation will drive most (if not all) people to eat "already dead" human meat.

The interesting question is perhaps what percentage of population would kill another human (no other "meal" available) if they thought they could get away with it.

Insanity starts somewhere around the moment when you start coldly contemplating how to organize such experiment on large-enough scale so that the results would be representative ;-)))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 27, 2014, 10:19:20 am »

Not really, a [reasonable] bit of desensitization never hurt anybody. A lot of people should at least digest the fact that when they eat meat, they are participating in the slaughter of animal. Had they had the guts to do it themselves (not possible in cities, but the hypocrisy part stays valid), the animal would have probably suffered less.
Probably not really. Most western slaughterhouses have very high standards in how painlessly they kill animals.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 105