Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253200 times)

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #615 on: October 02, 2013, 02:44:59 pm »

This week's blog post: governmental unrest and technical updates --

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/10/02/technical-status-update-empire-shutting-down-whigs-to-blame/

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 02, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »

Very nice! Both the writing and the progress evidenced inside the update. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:33 pm »

I wonder if this game is going to have an Adventure Mode, kinda like a Victorian DoD.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 02, 2013, 05:34:49 pm »

Maybe one day ; )

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »

We've been taking a week or so to clean up some stuff that was really bothering us on the rendering side of things.  We're really happy with the results!

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/10/09/no-rock-is-an-island/

Micah is busy writing me a method to identify unique historical events so we can have characters relay events without having horrific telephone-game-related problems, so I'm working on some different stuff, and Nicholas is hard at work on our building creator which still has the occasional bug that causes a building roof to extend to infinity.

The contents of this post are almost entirely the results of the hard work of the 4 guys in the art department: David, Sean, Joseph, and Chris.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:57 pm »

"This is all well and good, Mr. Baumgart; but if the game comes out and I don’t feel the urge to say “Hey, I know you — you’re that rock!” to at least one in-game rock after reading a full article on virtual rocks, I will be disappointed.

Good day."-Nya

I have to agree with the above comment post on that dev blog. Don't disappoint me.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 09, 2013, 02:38:04 pm »

Hahaha alright alright, i guess we had better get to work on the set-piece system we were talking abouta few months ago.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 09, 2013, 02:41:09 pm »

So pet rocks are now a thing in the game, right?

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 09, 2013, 03:26:15 pm »

If you mean rocks that the characters talk to, which whisper to them in their sleep, then definitely.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:36 pm »

Had one of those weeks where working on one thing found issues in another, and 3 days later everything was broken.  It's all fixed now though!  Still, I wasn't able to get any of the character behavior stuff done that I really wanted to, so I sulked around the office doing paperwork while the guys worked on other stuff.  So that leaves us with a post on debugging!  YES!

Nicholas wrote up this post about implementing academic papers and debugging using obscure file formats, and we posted it while starving and overly caffeinated during a road trip to Washington in a rental car.  The rock star life of a game developer, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/10/16/how-to-debug-an-exploding-building/

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »

Had one of those weeks where working on one thing found issues in another, and 3 days later everything was broken.  It's all fixed now though!  Still, I wasn't able to get any of the character behavior stuff done that I really wanted to, so I sulked around the office doing paperwork while the guys worked on other stuff.  So that leaves us with a post on debugging!  YES!

Nicholas wrote up this post about implementing academic papers and debugging using obscure file formats, and we posted it while starving and overly caffeinated during a road trip to Washington in a rental car.  The rock star life of a game developer, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/10/16/how-to-debug-an-exploding-building/

That looks really interesting.  That being said, I don't quite understand it.  I would absolutely love to see a .gif of the process in action.

Are the blue lines the blueprint, and the red the top of the "wave"?  Basically by creating a horizontal cross-section of the roof and slowly moving it up, you can calculate what the roof would look like, based on a few rules?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 17, 2013, 01:56:18 pm »

Had one of those weeks where working on one thing found issues in another, and 3 days later everything was broken. 
Story.  Of.  My.  Life.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 17, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »

Had one of those weeks where working on one thing found issues in another, and 3 days later everything was broken. 
Story.  Of.  My.  Life.

Oh man, so true.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 17, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »

Puzzlemaker: Yeah, that's the idea.  The rules get complicated when you have buildings with "nodes" that are connected, as there are more cases than you'd think there would be for merging large pyramidal sections.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 17, 2013, 02:50:39 pm »

Puzzlemaker: Yeah, that's the idea.  The rules get complicated when you have buildings with "nodes" that are connected, as there are more cases than you'd think there would be for merging large pyramidal sections.

Thanks!  That's pretty cool.  Glad you got it fixed in the end though, those kind of bugs are a bitch.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 105