Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253240 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »

Hah.  With the game developement budgets today, you get really great graphics, and extraordinarily shallow gameplay for millions of dollars.  I'd rather flip that around.  The graphics can be second rate, or even old school pixel, so long as the gameplay is complex, indepth, and utterly awesome.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 09, 2013, 03:28:40 am »

The graphics can be second rate, or even old school pixel, so long as the gameplay is complex, indepth, and utterly awesome.  8)

Remember where we are? I'm guessing most people here are willing to take ASCII as long as the gameplay is good :P

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 09, 2013, 05:02:33 am »

I think Minecraft has shown the world that graphics are the most important thing to games.  ;)
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 09, 2013, 05:55:56 am »

Hah. I cannot even play minecraft with a decent texture pack. Don't even go there.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #544 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:46 am »

Minecraft's graphics are simple. That doesn't mean however that stock mojang textures aren't ugly as hell.  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:56 am »

Minecraft's graphics are simple. That doesn't mean however that stock mojang textures aren't ugly as hell.  :P

So much this. "Simple" shouldn't be synonymous with "abominably ugly."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 09, 2013, 11:13:56 am »

But... i actually like the default minecraft textures..

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 09, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

But... i actually like the default minecraft textures..
This...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 09, 2013, 01:12:18 pm »

Another vote for default Minecraft textures!

Our lighting is still very much in-progress.  We will have all sorts of those newfangled whiz-bangs that they have in Diablo 3 and whatnot.  Thankfully adding some of these rendering processes is actually quite simple, as they're solved and documented problems, or we wouldn't put too much effort into it.

Just for the sake of context, over the last week I can think of probably 5 or 6 different game design "conversations" that we had which were extremely productive.  Other than the Water Debate (which is a gameplay discussion), I don't think we've really discussed rendering since December.  Our priorities are definitely gameplay first.

For the record, at this point we're leaning toward not having physics-controlled dynamic water sources, largely for technical reasons.  I'm really sad about this decision, but I agree with it.  I love messing around with physics systems, but it's a big enough headache that we had to ask ourselves what the game was about, and it's not about fluids, it's about stories and characters.  Those two points would suffer if we started allocating a large amount of network bandwidth to fluid simulation (not to mention the programming time given that we're still running this project on a surprisingly small team).

In a perfect world, if everyone had awesome cable connections (and if we had a bit more dev budget), I think we'd do fluids, but we're not 2d, and in 3d this is a very hard problem.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #549 on: February 09, 2013, 01:28:08 pm »

How about steam pipe pressure systems? It's thematic, for one thing, and if the steam is confined to pipes, then it flows in predictable ways- ideally, it simplifies to a set of points and connections, instead of a huge matrix of cellular automata cells. I'm far from concerned about it, but having steam pipes all over my colony and potentially looping them in absurd networks for the purpose of creating a steam-powered difference engine appeals to me. It has much of the fun of water flows without many of the technical challenges.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 09, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've been incredibly skeptical that putting steam pipes in the settlements would end up looking and feeling good.  My worry was that we'd end up with "Pipe Dreams" just overlaid over the game.  That said, I do love the idea, and we've been discussing it since the beginning.

Currently, it's likely that there will be a pipe system for distributing certain commodities, and we're likely to use an agent-based system, similar to the one that SimCity uses for garbage travelling along their roads.  Since the system is entirely secondary to just having units carry commodities, we haven't had time to test it yet so who knows, but I think our current vision of the system is a great one.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 09, 2013, 02:25:26 pm »

Our lighting is still very much in-progress.  We will have all sorts of those newfangled whiz-bangs that they have in Diablo 3 and whatnot.  Thankfully adding some of these rendering processes is actually quite simple, as they're solved and documented problems, or we wouldn't put too much effort into it.
well i for one would like a game i could run on a laptop integrated gfx card, so i'm hoping all of that would be optional

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 09, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »

If it has vertex shaders, you *should* be okay.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #553 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:23 pm »

Currently, it's likely that there will be a pipe system for distributing certain commodities, and we're likely to use an agent-based system, similar to the one that SimCity uses for garbage traveling along their roads.  Since the system is entirely secondary to just having units carry commodities, we haven't had time to test it yet so who knows, but I think our current vision of the system is a great one.

Works for me!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:31 pm »

You really don't need a full fluid dynamics system for water simulation and the like, so long as you know what you want to do in specific terrain areas, ala waterfalls and buildable dams.  Instead, you can just have terrain 'hooks' in the engine that once a certain criteria is met, the existing waterflow and system changes to reflect it, like if a water source dries up and the waterfall stops pouring water or a dam is built and the water rises.  From there is more of a rendering issue than a full simulation done behind the scenes.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 105