Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253285 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #450 on: December 18, 2012, 10:13:46 am »

There may be some way to actually find out what they need, we're still playing with ways to represent the general "goings on" of groups of characters.  The issue comes down to UI clutter, really.

Maybe the player/bureaucrat could be sent occasional (pop up) reports by soldiers/inspectors/witnesses who stumble across information.  It wouldn't need to always be 100% accurate either...

Or maybe a diplomacy/intel screen where more information is revealed as you gain more spies or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:52:24 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 18, 2012, 12:51:35 pm »

I'll think about how we could do it.  I mean, certain cults that want to build things that won't really be good or bad wouldn't need to be stopped, and the cults might make them happy, but if they start worshipping elder embodiments of destruction and chaos, it's going to be difficult to really make that internally consistent with the narrative if you want to just try to harness that without your settlement burning down.  I do like your general idea though, and being able to make that distinction would require that, as you said, you could find out something about them.

One possible scenario right now to attempt to allow for this sort of thing, would be if you were well-liked enough by say, a faction of crater beasts, that it would allow you to have crater beast cults that wouldn't suddenly become uncontrollable, and they might gain some benefits from being in what is now (essentially) your church. 

It would take a bit of work to gain the rapport with the crater beasts, perhaps over one settlement or more, but I think that would give you some of what you're after while still allowing for cults to other vengeful forest creatures to be anathema to that settlement.  I've been considering different cults as essentially different extremist belief systems, and by that measure, I doubt they'd like each other much.

Regarding the UI clutter response, yeah, we're going to try to attach different "reports" to different administrators, but that's very up in the air right now and might change through development.  UI is a weird thing in that some decision can feel like a good one at one point, but further along it's clearly not.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 18, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »

Meta-game wise, the player/mayor can be portrayed as someone who is also slightly unhinged but, is more interested in the colonies, power and/or whatever else then destroying his/her own colonies or summoning destructive abominations on his/her own stuff.

Maybe unleashing destructive abominations on 'not-your-colonies', sure... in a it might bite you in the arse later or not kind of thing.

For example; Crater Beast Cults, they like you, they want to someone a beast, but it is destructive... you give them the opportunity to summon it outside some other colony/kingdom and not yours, fulfilling their goal and making someone else pissed at you... all without messing up your own colony.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »

Dan you could still have destructive Cultist groups. But if you join them then destruction now ceases to become inwards, because basically the town is in on it and becomes a more large scale threat. If your colony becomes a known cultist hangout you could then find your self at odds with the mothercog land and have that group ( the group which was in the story ) come in to your colony and start doing investigations. Dont not let the play do something, be free in all sense so please please let us become a cultist centric colony and you will have my monies forever and ever and ever and ever.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 18, 2012, 01:40:28 pm »

It actually isn't too far of a stretch, if you think about it.  The Clockwork Empire has the standard worship of the Holy Cog, right?  The other factions/nations should be able to have their own religions.  The only difference between a 'Cult' and a religion is how wide-spread and accepted it is on a large scale.  So if you (the player/Beauracrat) can gain enough credibility or likeness with other groups, should have the option of joining one of the other cultures/religions and mandating that as your cities religion.  Not everyone has to agree, btu what are they going to do to stop it?

It could even be a meta-game mechanic, cause as it was stated, the favors and whatnot you gain could tie into it, depending upon how verdant you are in the religious side of things: "Astounding conviction for the Church of the Holy Cog, such-and-such reward for having 3 Churches in your town!" sort of deal. 

Or if you find a way to make a pact with one of the -other- things out there that could allow you access to religious buildings that their cultists could come and use would be cool.  Give the player more control over the boundry between the state and religion.  Mwhahahaha.  Could tie in with some of the mega-construction projects, as well. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:23 pm »

It actually isn't too far of a stretch, if you think about it.  The Clockwork Empire has the standard worship of the Holy Cog, right?  The other factions/nations should be able to have their own religions.  The only difference between a 'Cult' and a religion is how wide-spread and accepted it is on a large scale.  So if you (the player/Beauracrat) can gain enough credibility or likeness with other groups, should have the option of joining one of the other cultures/religions and mandating that as your cities religion.  Not everyone has to agree, btu what are they going to do to stop it?

yeah i was going to suggest this as well, so you have the option to turn your back on the cog land and join a different nation, this could also effect meta game and general how you play overall, and your next game you would be with that nation instead of the cog land

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 18, 2012, 02:32:50 pm »

Not everyone has to agree, btu what are they going to do to stop it?

Purge.

With fire.

If the Bureaucrat is suppose to be this sort of over watching non-corruptible figure that watches all the towns burn from a distance then scuttles off to collect their awards, I am not sure if it makes sense for them to get involved in things like religion so closely as to actually do anything. I mean, I am loath to say more choices are a bad thing, but at a certain point you are a a career bureaucrat of what appears to be a very religious if not outright theocratic empire.

Er, what I mean basically which might not have been clear there, is doing things that can physically in danger you on the meta level seem like something that would need to be thought about pretty hard.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:35:43 pm by Criptfeind »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 18, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »

I imagine the empire would be pretty pissed off by religious conversion.

But the reason why you are converting, is because you are powering your factories with shoggoth farts, so even if they did show up with an army, you could most likely put up a good fight.

Perhaps like a suicide option of sorts? Survive for as long as you can while under siege by the empire.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 18, 2012, 02:57:07 pm »

or the cop out option SUMMON MIGHTY CTHULHU

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:09 am »

They just released a new blog post about the soundtrack and dynamic music, including a demo of it in action.
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/12/20/dynamic-music/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GaslampGames+%28Gaslamp+Games+Blog%29

Also, quick question: Will we be able to get the soundtrack of the game when it's released?
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:08 am »

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/12/12/flora/

This one gave me all kinds of happys.

E: As did the music one, and all the others really.  Take your time guys, but take your time quickly please ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:27:28 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:09 pm »

Speaking of inspectors, give the detective his pipe *dismissive flick*.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 29, 2012, 09:20:03 pm »

Posting to watch.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:36 pm »

Hey guys, just wanted to apologize for the incredibly light (and somewhat late!) blog post this week.  Man, holidays, I tell you what.  We've been arguing a lot internally about scripting languages and some other actually far more interesting and lovely things that I suspect will show up next week.

We will release some version of the soundtrack, I'm sure.  From the sounds of it so far it's going to be fantastic.

I don't really have all that much to add to the talk about cults since these behaviors sit at the very top of a large blob of sophisticated AI work that's still being done.  We've been working on a list of character traits and their implementation though, which has been interesting so far:

Rustic Disposition
Reclusive
Scholarly
Lazy
Spiritual
Patriotic
Doomed
Hat Enthusiast

Let me know if you can think of any good ones to add to the list :)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 03, 2013, 07:30:59 pm »

Fanatical.

Mechanically inclined.

Curious.

Born Leader?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 105