Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253385 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »

If you're watching this thread, your chances of getting early access to the game are good ; )

As for the conveyor belts, I can't give you specific answers yet.  The thought process behind them is an automation of the otherwise human-intensive job of "hauling stuff".  It's likely that, as in real life, automating these processes sacrifices versatility for very specific use-case efficiencies.  It's therefore also likely that, in many cases, a conveyor belt won't be the best option.  But if you have a constant need for a particular commodity, and you invest heavily in one specific path to that commodity, conveyor belts will be your friend.

Also, I love Spacechem =)  However, if resource management in Clockwork Empires ever gets to that level of complexity, I think we have probably diverged too far from the game we set out to make.  I know more than a few people who have played that game, and only 2 that have completed it, including Zach.
Ah, excellent. I am very much partial to more complexity, but Spacechem is indeed a bit much. Good that you have the specific role thought out, not doing that generally leads to feature creep. Would be appreciated if you were to put in some basics though, kinda like how DF computation stems entirely from the fact that pressure plates react to water. You can do some awesome stuff with relatively simple tools.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »

All that we really need is to have it be turing complete.  Then we can do anything with it!

Looking forward to see how this develops.  Real excited for it!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »

Just finished reading the thread and I really hope this game succeeds. PTW.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2012, 02:37:04 pm »

I wish this game came out today.

My question is, other than airships, what other transports will you have? Trains I assume, but are steam powered cars and tanks a option?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2012, 02:56:39 pm »

If there are conveyor belts, be sure there is the possibility of slipping and accidentally falling onto one if adequate railings/protection isn't in place. Nothing quite like finding out your city's rations for the month have unexpected protein, or finding your paper wasn't entirely made from tree pulp... And considering the history of industry, it wouldn't be too far from the truth even IRL, let alone a setting with eldrich horrors.

Which could either be abstracted out as a simple 'this item is worse for your sanity than it otherwise would be' or produce special, usually negative, variations on items. Or even more in detail, produce said special items depending on the sanity and attributes of those operating the facility. A relatively normal person cleans out the mechanisms; an insane one rearranges the parts as they go in for maximum interfacing with the production. Like a table, with its legs being  arms and actual legs, as opposed to simply mashing the unfortunate person into the product.
Those would then become a sort of negative artifact, collected by cultists for their devious rituals.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:06:54 pm by alway »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

I don't think everything done by the cultists should be negative. I want to be able to work with them and it would be nice if they were a faction, but living inside your colony so maybe having different factions of people as well similar to living classes; poor, middle class, military, nobles Ect...  I want to be able to work with the cultists and worship Cthulhu
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »

I have a sudden and tremendous urge to plug cthulhu into a power generator and use him to light up the east coast.

Will... will we be able to do that? Run our gristle mills on eldritch abominations and grind their juju to make our bread? The monolithobelisk thing sounded interesting but I want to actually shove an electrical socket into Dagon's nethers and power a chainsaw from it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:44:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2012, 03:52:25 pm »

I have a sudden and tremendous urge to plug cthulhu into a power generator and use him to light up the east coast.

Will... will we be able to do that? Run our gristle mills on eldritch abominations and grind their juju to make our bread? The monolithobelisk thing sounded interesting but I want to actually shove an electrical socket into Dagon's nethers and power a chainsaw from it.
The concept art on their blog says yes.

Clean-burning madness indeed.

EDIT: Ah, you already saw that. I dont really see how sticking a steam pipe up cthulhus nether regions doesnt qualify though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »

That's a little more, hrm... symbiotic than I was thinking. Less feeding them crazy people more sticking them to a crucifix with steam powered harpoons and a constant stream of debilitating electricity. Siphoned from what the critter itself is being used to generate. That sort of thing. Less cult, more going ‼SCIENCE‼ on their antediluvian arses.
Ask not!
Ask!

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:25 pm »

Hmm...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2012, 04:18:48 pm »

I personally approve of science eldridth.  Prodding an Obelisk with 20,000 volts and collecting the liquid rage that boils out, and burning it to produce energy.  That sounds fun.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2012, 04:56:49 pm »

Hmm...

Something tells me electrified crucifixes will not be featured in the game :p

Also Daniel you mentioned factons within the game which when you do favours for them will let you ask for favours back what sort of factions are you thinking of including ? And also will your colonists also worship a religion and will these feature as factons ? I really just want to have a whole colony of cultists and it be feasible to play like that :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2012, 05:15:36 pm »

I want you to do that too!

Again, I think it's important to state that the faction prestige system is really just an attempt at taking a meta-game system that is initially designed to inject causality into consecutive play sessions, and drape it with a system which seems well-suited to exploring the background of the world.  It's currently in proposal stage, and we're not set on anything; its survival has a lot to do with how much traction the idea gets, as well as the art and programming costs of making such a thing complete enough that the game feels better with it than without.

However, the current proposal's list of factions for which you can gain prestige includes the Empire, the various other nations you might find, and a few organized groups of the more horrific creatures that inhabit the world.

The system heavily pre-supposes that the random game-breaking things that you are able to do with prestige rewards are by no means necessary in order to explore the game.  Rather, the benefit of having them should simply serve as an impetus to explore the factions, what they want, and why.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »

Hmm...

Something tells me electrified crucifixes will not be featured in the game :p
Ah, right, that silly cultural... something or other. What about the rack? Would racked cthulhu be acceptable?

Gods alive now I'm thinking about the Plutonian Pope's Pear of Power Generation and you know what? That is a terrible, terrible thought. I blame you, Script. This is your fault :P

Anyway, faction stuff definitely sounds neat. Not much to say beyond that, I guess.
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »

This talk of exploiting things sparked a couple of questions in my head. More precisely questions about conveyors and automation.

This shows a simple one destination conveyor, that can apparently filter what it takes in. Useful for combined stockpiles I presume, but how do they deal with overflow of one resource? Lets say a factory requires iron and wood, with no proper filtering if you run out of either of them, the other resource would fill up the input stockpile and make future production impossible. Or do supplier conveyors(as opposed to those who shuffle things between stockpiles) respond to the demands of their corresponding factories? Can you "reserve" stockpile space, making it impossible to fill it with the wrong type of resources and how do conveyors react to a filled stockpile?

And how would one deal with having a central stockpile and 2 factories that require an equal amount of resources? It would work fine(I presume) when the stockpile is filled, but when it isnt, does one of the supplying conveyors get precedence and always get incoming resources? Basically is there automatic flip-flopping of supplied conveyors? Or could you construct a flip-flop gate on a single conveyor, causing it split into two factories with both getting 50% of the supplied resources? (Sorry if the flip-flop thing isnt proper terminology, I'm just thinking in terms of Spacechem. On that note you should try out Spacechem if you havent, it deals precisely with this sort of automation.)

On another note, lets say you have 2 mayor stockpiles, one on one end of the map and one on the other. Is it possible to connect them with conveyors in such a way that they would always stay balanced, or are conveyors only useful for one-way transporting?

And lastly, can you change the amount of resources that a conveyor transports, so you could change the supply depending on how much a factory requires, and according to your whims?

First of all, I love the idea behind that linked production schematic; although I hope it is more free-form than, say, Starcraft's building modules, where you are limited to one or two things per building.  I mean, what if I want to add a Boiler onto the Butcher shop?!?  What do you mean I can't?  Isn't the traditional cooking method to boil meat into a glue-like substance, and then eat with large quantities of booze?  Sure, maybe it wouldn't produce usable food, instead rendering everything into fat or glue, but maybe I need a large quantity of that for a project.  (Still, I understand how you'd have to program every possible interaction in, and thus have a limited selection of 'usable' modules with each building.)

One of the games that I love, have played a lot of, and am now starting to itch to play again is Pharaoh.  Specifically, I'm thinking of the Storage Yard, and how storage works in general.  You can easily edit the building via an interaction menu (right click, I think, then checkboxes) to set it to accept, get, or reject specific goods of the type it can hold.  But you can also set it to hold 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of each item.  If you set it to "Accept", then it holds whatever is brought in, or your workers can actively go "Get" the required item/amounts.  Perhaps that would be a decent approach?

Another benefit to the way Pharaoh handles storage & items is that you can set certain Storage Yards (close to the production area, for example) to "Accept", and then have other Storage Yards across the city that are set to "Get".  This way, goods are first filled by the harvesters into the close SY's, only going to the others when they overflow; meanwhile, workers from the "Getting" SY's are actively bringing the goods closer to where you need them.  (Here is perhaps a better explanation.)

EDIT:  One other thing that I loved about Pharaoh was the ability to prioritize jobs.  Everything was broken down into nine main job types, and you could set the priority of each from 1-9.  (With no duplicates, just a strict 1 through 9.)  If you were short of workers (population), then the high-priority jobs would be fully staffed, and the lowest priority barely staffed.  Some kind of mechanic like this was needed, because you could not assign laborers to a specific job or building; it was all based on population.

Which gives rise to the question, will there be any kind of unemployment rate penalties?  I mean, if you have 20 extra people with nothing to do, what will they do?  Perhaps (based on their job-preferences & such) they'll go out doing preferential type activities, possibly giving your colony a 'bonus discovery' or stirring up some extra trouble?  Or maybe they just wander around getting drunk & causing trouble.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:37:35 pm by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 105