Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253353 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »

Only concept art and some 3d model previews I think. I do want the clean madness burning obelisk. Madness has never been so economically rentable!
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2012, 06:56:05 pm »

After reading the latest blog post, I thought I'd post here, instead of the comments section there.

The meta-game focus will be political, moving up the ranks, gaining favors, trying to make friends and kick the enemies in the arse; but will you be able to break totally away from the Empire? Could you gather enough prestige and wealth to start your own? Or how far up can you go in the Empire if you do act as their loyal and happy lapdog?

I'd love for Clockwork Empires to be sorta open-ended, and yet so full to do just about anything you want as you get deeper and deeper into the game.  As a fan of the Settlers games, I love city building and production chains and economic structures all on their own; but at the same time, I'd love for the meta-game to have a purpose as well, just beyond spreading the story of moving from point A to point B (ala Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom).

Okay, ranting done.  Thankya.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2012, 07:05:24 pm »

After reading the latest blog post, I thought I'd post here, instead of the comments section there.

The meta-game focus will be political, moving up the ranks, gaining favors, trying to make friends and kick the enemies in the arse; but will you be able to break totally away from the Empire? Could you gather enough prestige and wealth to start your own? Or how far up can you go in the Empire if you do act as their loyal and happy lapdog?

I'd love for Clockwork Empires to be sorta open-ended, and yet so full to do just about anything you want as you get deeper and deeper into the game.  As a fan of the Settlers games, I love city building and production chains and economic structures all on their own; but at the same time, I'd love for the meta-game to have a purpose as well, just beyond spreading the story of moving from point A to point B (ala Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom).

Okay, ranting done.  Thankya.
+1

Though... if you can't do it right.  Don't.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:45 am »

That would be nice, there is nothing worse than getting your empire working how you like and then mission complete and you have to start again. (okay there are plenty of worse things, but it's still frustrating) One of the things that put me off blackspace (which thankfully failed it's kickstarter, as I couldn't work out a way to cancel my pledge)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2012, 06:00:42 am »

Ding update:

there are several factions you can earn prestige off and this prestige then lets you request stuff from the faction you have earned prestige with.

Check gaslamp games home website for more info
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2012, 06:02:25 am »

Just a quick note - we're trying to post something game development related on the blog every Tuesday. 

Thanks for the continued interest guys, it means a lot to us.

If I had a diary I'd be making a note in it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2012, 06:15:39 am »

hey Daniel will there be beta and alpha testing for clockwork empire ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:30 am »

Just a quick note - we're trying to post something game development related on the blog every Tuesday. 

Thanks for the continued interest guys, it means a lot to us.
Awesome. Will have to add that to the list of things to look forward to every week.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40:48 am »

there is nothing worse than getting your empire working how you like and then mission complete and you have to start again.
And yet having it all crumble in fame is actually a very preferred way.  Roguelikes make you think weird.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:13 am »

there is nothing worse than getting your empire working how you like and then mission complete and you have to start again.
And yet having it all crumble in fame is actually a very preferred way.  Roguelikes make you think weird.

The difference is you let (or are unable to prevent) it crumble, rather than a 'well done, good job, now we are taking that off you and you get to start again'.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:38 am »

The difference is you let (or are unable to prevent) it crumble, rather than a 'well done, good job, now we are taking that off you and you get to start again'.

Warzone 2100 handled that one incredibly well.  You finish a level and then it simply opens up more of the map for you.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:57 am »

...and when you moved to a next level, you used a dropship from the main base, with the main base providing reinforcements at its production rate

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:42 am »

Had kind of put this one on my back burner of interest...really liking what I'm reading so far.  :)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2012, 09:56:51 am »

Hm. What about something similiar to the 'home city' feature of Age of Empires 3? You complete missions, goals, and optional objectives from the various factions, and upgrade your starting location with the features/resources/ect. that you'd like, providing bonuses for while you're doing the missions and changing how the meta-game plays?

For example, you run through the first few goals for the Empire, setting up basic trade for cheap beer and wood, starting resources.  But then you get an optional objective from say, the Stahlmarkians, and they want you to do something that goes against the Empire.  You do it, and fail an original objective, but complete the mission.  When you get back into the Meta-Game, you get a warning from the Empire, and only gain part of the promotion, but the Stahlmarkians' thank you in private, and give you a favor that could more than make up for it. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:53 am »

Alright, so we have the Clockwork Empire, Stahlmark, Imperial Novyrus, République Mécanique... I wonder what other nations will be around :D

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 105