Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 253194 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2012, 12:50:45 pm »

pc gamer interview is up, been waiting all day for this

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/28/interview-gaslamp-games-mad-incredible-vision-for-clockwork-empires/

wow 5 pages...
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »

About bloody time, my F5 key was starting to get worn out :D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »

About bloody time, my F5 key was starting to get worn out :D

same haha,

although im a little upset, i want to turn my colony into a cult who are trying to SUMMON THE GREAT LORD CTHULHU AND OTHER ELDER THINGS, i hope we can have that but the interview suggests that we wont get to play as the insane cultists :(

Blessed are the many revolutions of the Holy Cog, for it keeps the clockwork of the indefatigable movement of the celestial heavens in motion
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:04:21 pm by ScriptWolf »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »

I got to say, this really does sound amazing.  Its nice to see that DF was such a big influence on this game.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »

also seems like our people in our colony will not have hit points but working body's like in DF

"No, I totally get that distinction. Not everything is represented as some status effect. It’s qualitative more than quantitative, and it has some behavior associated with it.

DJ: Yes. A soldier has lost an arm, so he can’t use a two-handed weapon.

NV: Attention to detail in video games is something that we’re very fond of. "

and they will have personalitys

What form are those phobias or likes or dislikes going to take?

DJ: One of the new, more prevalent ways of generating AI in an interesting way is a goal-based AI. And a happiness-based AI. All of our people will have the belief that they want to be happy, and that in order to be happy they have to do certain things. Through interactions with any object… If for whatever reason we decide, based on a number of factors, that that interaction is really important… If the character is highly traumatized by… Maybe they got seriously wounded by something. Or maybe their mate, their husband or wife, just died. Or maybe they just got married or something. Maybe something really good happened to them. Then they have the possibility of reaching out and creating an association with something that is involved in that interaction. A particular place… Maybe the soldier’s gun, maybe he develops a really close attachment to it.

NV: ”My lucky gun!”

DJ: Yeah! Or maybe by getting married in a certain place, somebody becomes deathly afraid of that place for the rest of their lives. These things have an ability to just create really strange ways that the AIs can interact, or the citizens can interact, with the environment. They’ll do things and you’ll think, “Wait, why did he just avoid that building? I thought he really liked that one.”

DB: It could be something as simple as a favorite food.

also other sentient creatures on map!

NV: We don’t use wires. We use giant Tesla coils to move the electricity.

gah want this game soooo much and now >,<
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:07:47 pm by ScriptWolf »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »

I can hardly find a single thing here to criticize yet, so for now I'm in the "shutuptakemoney.jpg" crowd.
:D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »

WANT. That is one of the best press releases for a game I've yet seen.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2012, 01:28:35 pm »

I can hardly find a single thing here to criticize yet, so for now I'm in the "shutuptakemoney.jpg" crowd.
:D

No.  They should keep talking and take my money.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »

Making a settlement and supplying your people with needs is not unique to Dwarf Fortress. The scope of Dwarf Fortress is much more vast than that and to call something that borrows from the "build a colony" genre and calling it a DF clone is ignorance that shows both a misunderstanding of game mechanics and Dwarf Fortress as a whole.

They're not making a game inspired by the colony building genre, they're making a game inspired by Dwarf Fortress.  Maybe it won't be as shameless of a copy of DF as Gnomoria is, but clearly companies are starting to look for ways to monetize the DF phenomenon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:47:08 pm by tootboot »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »

Making a settlement and supplying your people with needs is not unique to Dwarf Fortress. The scope of Dwarf Fortress is much more vast than that and to call something that borrows from the "build a colony" genre and calling it a DF clone is ignorance that shows both a misunderstanding of game mechanics and Dwarf Fortress as a whole.

They're not making a game inspired by the colony building genre, they're making a game inspired by Dwarf Fortress.  Maybe it won't be as shameless of a copy of DF as Gnomoria is, but it's clearly companies are starting to look for ways to monetize the DF phenomenon.

bahahahahahaha what.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »

uhhh...

sorry, but B12 isn't that large a target audience.

That's not their only target audience, I'm sure, but it definitely will intrigue a lot of the people here. It will also interest steampunk fans, and probably a bunch of other people too. They do already have quite a large following from Dreadmor.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2012, 01:56:55 pm »

uhhh...

The roguelike community is pretty small too but Gaslamp managed to build a company based on the success of Dredmor.

There can be money in something without it being Skyrim or Gears of War level money.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »

Radiation Spa

what?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »

Radiation Spa

what?
This actually existed, or was at least tested. Using radiation sources like radon you could cure a number of skin diseases.*

*No Guarantee is made that the rest of your skin will survive
** We're not responsible for any radiation related diseases.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2012, 02:17:50 pm »

uhhh...

The roguelike community is pretty small too but Gaslamp managed to build a company based on the success of Dredmor.

There can be money in something without it being Skyrim or Gears of War level money.
... small in a more relative than absolute sense, really. T4 alone's been keeping a steady couple hundred people playing just about 'round the clock, and that's just folks that can/bother set(ting) up an online profile. Crawl and nethack tourneys have been getting fairly consistent 100+ attendance. Obviously some overlap with players doing all of the above, but still. The roguelike audience is definitely in the "comfortably (tens of?) thousands" zone, which is a pretty solid financial base, if you can entice them. It's just not in the millions :P

City building stuff has a similar -- probably slightly larger, I'd guess -- core base. If th'game comes out alright, I doubt they'll have much trouble making a profit. Only major-ish issue I can see is the quad-core et al bits -- from what I've noticed a good chunk of their target audience tends toward older or weaker machines, which might lose them a bit of sales.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 105