Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?  (Read 38939 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »

It's a reference to that fact Dolphins have a propensity for raping eachother and other animals.

I even think I may have possibly heard a rumor about dolphins raping a whale but I've forgotten where from. :/

Musta been one hell of a well endowed dolphin...
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »

It's a reference to that fact Dolphins have a propensity for raping eachother and other animals.

I even think I may have possibly heard a rumor about dolphins raping a whale but I've forgotten where from. :/

Dear god, where has this discussion gone?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2012, 08:27:15 pm »

We've gone from aliens to Dolphin rape in... about three pages.

It's a slow day today.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »

Dear god, where has this discussion gone?
It's happeneing to all of Bay12.
I don't even know what's going on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »

Ah, derails. Like many things on bay12, our discussions don't exactly go straight.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »

Ironic for a game that at it's most basic level is played in a grid of perfectly straight lines.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:29 pm »

Oh yeah and forgot to mention that explosives underwater are incredibly devastating, the shockwave will kill everything it passes. Which happens to be much larger underwater. Think about a grenade, thrown at a person no shrapnel need hit them to kill - only the shockwave. Same with underwater.
So yeah, a few sailors with hand grenades would decimate any conceivable dolphin aggression or resistance. They would do better to sue for peace.
Only to a limited degree, and range changes kills to stunning to just annoying. Explosives are more effective yes, but a grenade is only good for a pond, and two grenades are also only good for a pond. A ocean is bigger than that, and unlike on land, it's a 3d environment, so there is more room you have to cover. It's like flak guns versus airplanes, except the dolphins flying "under the radar" are actually further from potential defensive actions.
Nuh uuuhhhhh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_fishing

^^^^^^

Dolphins = Pwned

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2012, 09:13:51 pm »

We've got incredibly large bombs. I think we could bomb the whole ocean hard enough to kill everything down there with the shockwaves, especially with the whole 'Shockwaves through water = 3x shockwaves through air'.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »

3x30(the lethal radius of a frag grenade)=90.

So, any ship anchored in water deeper than 90' is in serious danger. This is good, because most bays are 30' ish. So you got dolphins at anchor. The problem is that most boats travel over water deeper than this. Dynamite will have better range. NUclear bombs even better range. There is a problem with detection though. If they hug the sea floor, they will be quite hard to pickup on sonar before they are releasing the thermite trash bombs on the underside of the ship. Also a ship weakened in such a way is at risk of sinking itself if it uses cuncussion on the dolphins. I think we might be able to build ships faster than dolphins make dolphins, but they already are experimenting with biological augmentation with their species, dolphinwhales and such... I don't think a whale is as vunerable to this as a dolphin. Also dolphins can jump out of concussive water. Dolphin ninjas... Only time will tell if our somalians are up for the challenge.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2012, 10:43:45 pm »

... But if you aim the entire nuclear arsenal of the human race at the ocean floor and let loose, fuck their 'avoidance'. :P

And then mop up the survivors with some chlorine dispensers, and we're all gravy baby!
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2012, 10:46:57 pm »

Wow, This is a impressive thread, And as self-appointed mayor of declaring war on other life-forms, I was drawn here.

So, The question is the effectiveness of explosives n Dolphins? I find this a needless solution. Water is a far better medium for biological and chemical agents then air is, and air is kinda good. On the assumption we can control it, have it "burn out" quickly enough to not wipeout the civilians, We could easily force them into a untenable position where we could be bombing them with this chemical, which I've decided to call Dolphicide, and have them suing for peace or even go for unconditional.

As for early skirmishing before the finishing of Dolphicide, First off we would need to secure ports using a ground-hugging mine to force them into the open, and some-sort of mini torpedo system to kill them off from there. Like, water bullets. Secondly, We would need to hit population centers, including bombing of their food sources, and whales.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:27 pm »

Dolphin genocide could easily be affected with large dumps of chlorine into the water. Then again, we need the water too, so perhaps a different solution is in order.

Weaponize the sharks and octopodes.
He's fucking with us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:16 am »

Also, we know at which frequencies the dolphins sonar thingies work. We can just emulate these and jam their sight over a rather large area.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2012, 01:00:47 am »

Or permanently blind them with magnified signals. Like overly bright lights, but for dolphins.
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2012, 01:17:46 am »

So, any ship anchored in water deeper than 90' is in serious danger. This is good, because most bays are 30' ish. So you got dolphins at anchor. The problem is that most boats travel over water deeper than this. Dynamite will have better range. NUclear bombs even better range. There is a problem with detection though. If they hug the sea floor, they will be quite hard to pickup on sonar before they are releasing the thermite trash bombs on the underside of the ship. Also a ship weakened in such a way is at risk of sinking itself if it uses cuncussion on the dolphins. I think we might be able to build ships faster than dolphins make dolphins, but they already are experimenting with biological augmentation with their species, dolphinwhales and such... I don't think a whale is as vunerable to this as a dolphin. Also dolphins can jump out of concussive water. Dolphin ninjas... Only time will tell if our somalians are up for the challenge.
Ships don't damage easy, dolphins do. The dolphins'd have to get up close and personal with a whole lot of volatile explosives (who knows how they even manufactured it underwater?), before detonating it by the ship causing an explosion of steam likely killing the dolphin. So yeah, suicide dolphins.

<

Nets
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19