Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?  (Read 39022 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:08 pm »

Joe Haldain's "The Forever War" exploes this quite well. With relativity taken into account, a 18 month tour of duty takes years for those not whizzing around space at 99% of c. What was cutting edge when they left is crude when they return, most noticably weaponary, tactics used by the enemy, and the nature of human society. Well worth a read.
Humanity is very good at killing things and only getting better at it too. If we have reached the point of near light speed travel, you can bet that the "obsolete" technology on board would be more than enough for any nobody-expects-the-inquisition moments. However if any intelligent life is out there I doubt there'd ever be much conflict.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" exploes this quite well. With relativity taken into account, a 18 month tour of duty takes years for those not whizzing around space at 99% of c. What was cutting edge when they left is crude when they return, most noticably weaponary, tactics used by the enemy, and the nature of human society. Well worth a read.
FTFY. And yeah, I loved the idea that there was NEVER technological parity between Earth and the Taurans. Defender almost automatically had technological superiority, because they've had time to develop and deploy new weapons and tactics while the attacker has spent all that time in cryosleep and travelling. The only time they're even roughly paritible is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It follows that in a war like that (as in WWI) it would be bloody, long and little ground would change hands because the defender always has a significant advantage.

The comic book series Albedo also had pretty realistic space combat. Basically, both ships manuever (within the G-tolerance of their crew annd their fuel budget) for optimal vector, then shoot a metric shit-ton of metal chunks at each other at relativistic speeds. Much of their cloud of drones and slugs will hit and annhilate each other, but some will get through. You basically shoot and pray that your cloud of ordnance was bigger than theirs, then both sides strap in and wait a few hours for impact. I think Forever War had some of that as well (I seem to remember one of the missions is basically FUBAR'd from the start when they get hit by relativistic shrapnel and lose a number of their ground troops before they even get to target).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

Touché (as I understand it) just means an acknowledgement of being beaten. Comes from fencing, iirc, where the person touched says it to admit defeat.

[/pedantry]
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2012, 04:44:41 pm »

Re: the super speed bullet thing.

Depending on the distance away, the target would be able to see it quite a ways off and intercept with their own (probably another, equal mass object going the same speed, as that's about the only thing that COULD stop it). A .9c bullet traveling 1000 light years would be visible 100 light years away.

I could see such things being used in planetary warfare, but a vigilant target could avoid anything you throw at them from long distance.
I don't know if he was the first one with the idea, but KS Robinson's new book gives a rather terrifying new possibility - a swarm of bullets, too small to detect from a distance, and spread out in a cloud, but converging on the same point to deliver the same or almost the same amount of energy as a much larger one. Granted it'd be even tougher to figure out the trajectories, since they all have to hit at the same time, but with quantum computers, enough projectiles, and a little bit of on-board guidance it might just be possible across systems. Pretty much the only way to defend against something like this is to have a massive sensor-net with a comprehensive laser defense system, and that's assuming they aren't shielded enough that you can detect them in time for the hit. Otherwise your best bet is to move the target.
This is actually one of the ways to increase the destructive potential of a large relativistic missile (such as an asteroid), by blowing it up when it is fairly close to the target. The result becomes a destructive cloud of particles traveling at approximately the same speed but over a much larger area. I mean sure a single large astroid hit would cause mass climate problems all over, but you actually only get total devastation in a relatively small area. A barrage of smaller objects in a cloud the size of a planet, while imparting less force with each one, would actually end up causing more destruction. Sure a large object might cause a crater the size of japan, but the rest of the world is relatively unharmed except by the climate change. A hail of small objects causing house sized craters over half of the entire planet will cause more actual destruction relatively, as a house sized crater will take out most buildings just as well as a larger one will.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2012, 10:31:32 pm »

This is actually one of the ways to increase the destructive potential of a large relativistic missile (such as an asteroid), by blowing it up when it is fairly close to the target. The result becomes a destructive cloud of particles traveling at approximately the same speed but over a much larger area. I mean sure a single large astroid hit would cause mass climate problems all over, but you actually only get total devastation in a relatively small area. A barrage of smaller objects in a cloud the size of a planet, while imparting less force with each one, would actually end up causing more destruction. Sure a large object might cause a crater the size of japan, but the rest of the world is relatively unharmed except by the climate change. A hail of small objects causing house sized craters over half of the entire planet will cause more actual destruction relatively, as a house sized crater will take out most buildings just as well as a larger one will.

Relativistic Shotgun: Never before have two words been put together and been this beautiful.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"And in the future humanity will look upon me and say, he has become Mars - god of shotguns."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »

This reminds me of South Park

"And i Pull out my gun!"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »

Notice how the first contact thread got derailed into a gunlove discussion? Bodes well for humanity, this does not.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:31 am »

I wonder if Future GOP will support the second amendment right to own Relativistic Shotguns.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2012, 03:30:31 am »

Mass shootings will be... different.

Quote from: Future News
A gunman in Sigma Orionis today killed 12 billion people when he opened fire on 2 planets and a series of moons and orbital habcomplexes. Enforement droids were unable to subdue him so anhilliated him with a controlled antimatter dusting, which resulted in the destruction of the uninhabited moon he was using as cover. The gunman, a Mr FutureName, was described by his VRNet aquaintances as a bit quiet, a bit of a loner, but a nice guy. It is thought he was recently laid off from his job as a FutureShelf FutureStacker at FutureWalMart and that his designated pleasuredroid companion suffered a terminal fault. He was armed with two H&K RC8 .99c scattercannons, obtained perfectly legally over the VRNet commerce section.
This is a blank sig.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2012, 09:55:01 am »

Itvwould probably be considered artillery, though. /stophavingfunguys
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2012, 10:03:34 am »

Also, a traditional shotgun firing relativistic bullets would vaporize the gunman just as much as anyone else.

These things would have to be remotely activated and almost certainly will destroy the firing mechanism in the process (even in a vacuum).
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2012, 10:44:45 am »

Well, you wouldn't have the backblast problem nearly so much in a vacuum, but there is the issue of recoil (unless you have some momentum-less method to impart velocity to the projectile).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2012, 10:49:03 am »

Well, you wouldn't have the backblast problem nearly so much in a vacuum, but there is the issue of recoil (unless you have some momentum-less method to impart velocity to the projectile).

Like, say... a rocket?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:27 am »

No combustion would ever be able to accelerate an object that fast. Even if Magical Fuel, it'd still shoot relativistic waste products in the opposite direction.

Some sort of slingshot would probably be required. Who knows if it's possible to store enough potential energy in anything to accelerate something of significant mass to .9c, though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19