Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gem Encrusting specific items?  (Read 1340 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Gem Encrusting specific items?
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:05:58 am »

Rather than encrusting items randomly with gems by just setting the job at the workshop, is there a way to designate specific items to encrust?

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Encrusting specific items?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:09:25 am »

Forbidding anything else through the stockpiles screen? I really don't know if there is another way to do that, thats why I have stayed away from encrusting a long long time now.
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:14:02 am »

Rather than encrusting items randomly with gems by just setting the job at the workshop, is there a way to designate specific items to encrust?
Down to the specific item level (not just any amulet, but THAT amulet): Not without a lot of micromanagement.

Down to the type level (amulets, but not chains): Yes, with some careful use of stockpile 'give' settings, I believe this should be possible.

Basically, set up a stockpile to take from 'wherever' but give to the gem workshop. Then set another to give gems in the same way. Now the workshop will draw its encrusting targets from the chosen stockpile, and its gems from same. It will not, however, work correctly if the stockpiles are empty - the workshop will shut down and not have any input goods. To change what you're permitting to be encrusted, change what the goods input stockpile holds and make sure there are gems in the gems input.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:10:25 am »

Couldn't you dump a specific item, designate a 1x1 stockpile that would accept it underneath, then have it give to the specific workshop?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:39 am »

Couldn't you dump a specific item, designate a 1x1 stockpile that would accept it underneath, then have it give to the specific workshop?
Each. Time. You. Make. An. Item.

The problem is that you end up having to manually feed the stockpile yourself, which is a step beyond micromanagement in standard DF-ese.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:42 am »

Kinda.  What I do is create two quantum stockpiles near my jeweler shop, one accepts only masterwork and artifact furniture, and the other accepts everything but.  Set the masterwork pile to (g)ive to the jeweler shop (as well as whichever pile you have your rough and finished gems in) and let them go nuts.

Melt or atomsmash the sub-par stuff.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:23 am »

Each. Time. You. Make. An. Item.

The problem is that you end up having to manually feed the stockpile yourself, which is a step beyond micromanagement in standard DF-ese.
Isn't that exactly what he wants? Otherwise, some simple stockpile settings would have done the trick. Either way, it's not as hard or tedious as one may think if you make a bunch of items and designate them with the stocks menu.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »

Stockpile "give" are your best bet for decorating items of a specific category and quality level.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:02 pm »

I make sure my gem shop  is far away from the general stockpiles on the x/y coordinates.  Bear in mind that when picking a valid object for a job the dwarf wants the closest but does not consider z-levels in any way.  By seperating it like this you can put a calibrated stockpile next to it set to only take types/materials/qualities you consider worthy.

If you queue a bunch of jobs up then you will often find the first item is a random piece and the rest will be from the good pile.  The random first is due to the dwarf selecting the closest viable item to his location when he decided to take the job
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.