Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stupid Idea: Tattoo Armor  (Read 6529 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Stupid Idea: Tattoo Armor
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:57:48 am »

I wanted to add tattooes to my races, and thought about using color_modifiers, so they show up now and then in descriptions. Instead of "his skin is tan" it would read "his skin is tan and covered with black runes, tattooed by the greatmaster urist mcurist"

I cant add or remove these from creatures (except with transformation, and I wont do this) so the feature would be only ornamental.

But... what if I make items. Armor, gloves, pants, shoes, helms... from dye. With some kind of armor rating, with layer:under, layer_permit:o, layer_size:0 and coverage:100. Wouldnt that mean that any dwarf could wear this under his clothing and get an extra armor boost ?

"The morningstar strikes the dwarf in the chest, but the attack is deflected by his rune-tattoo of defense"

Is there any obvious mistake I dont see? The only problem with this would be that with the layer_size:0 dwarves could wear unlimited of these, but I am sure that can be balanced somehow.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Idea: Tattoo Armor
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »

You slap the giant in the head with your "groundhog tattoo", bruising the muscle and jamming the skull through the brain.

It should work, but expect to see a lot of oddities, including tantruming dwarves ripping off their tattoos and killing half of the fort with them. Or !!tattoos!!.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:45:53 pm »

Honestly I think colors would be easiest, though you'd have to redo every single one several times with each different tattoo. If you wanted to do armor though, I vaguely recall some guide on here a while back that was a tutorial on making clothes never degrade by turning them into a non-protective armor, maybe you could use something like that. Maybe that was the layer_size:0 thing, but I'd still look it up anyway, it could be helpful.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:06:39 pm »

Is it possible for there to be "stupid" ideas in DF? This one sounds kinda neat. And has possibilities for !!FUN!!

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:22:05 am »

There should be certain things that are unequippable in DF. Ripping out tattoos from the skin and bashing bronze collossi with them just sounds downright idiotic.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 05:25:07 am »

There should be certain things that are unequippable in DF. Ripping out tattoos from the skin and bashing bronze collossi with them just sounds downright idiotic.
Idiotic? Don't you mean DWARVEN?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:28:01 am »

Idiotic? Don't you mean DWARVEN?

It's insane, even for DWARVES.

edit: But I like OP's idea about tattoos. Might give positive thoughts of owning an or viewing someone's tattoo.
And negative thought if the dorf viewing it dosn't like tattoos of roaches.  :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:30:57 am by Ultimuh »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:43:43 am »

Aye, it is an interesting idea.
Would it be possible to make the tattoos use the same system as engravings do?
IE: a dwarf with a tattoo of elves taming bobcats on someone's chest.

..And perhaps someday, a dwarf with a tattoo of kobolds in his buttocs.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:54:54 am »

Aye, it is an interesting idea.
Would it be possible to make the tattoos use the same system as engravings do?
IE: a dwarf with a tattoo of elves taming bobcats on someone's chest.

..And perhaps someday, a dwarf with a tattoo of kobolds in his buttocs.

That's what I was thinking!

But then it would be impossibly horrible when a dwarf has tattooed vomit-demons choking nobles on himself. Horrible as in amazing.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:19 am »

No, I think the two options I posted are the only ways to mod it in. Either color modifiers, so they arrive/get born with it, and it has no effect whatsoever, or as armor. Of course I didnt think of what people would do in adv. mode with it. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:17 am »

It's not just adventure mode that would have a bit of funny behavior, in Fort mode they'll also be thrown by tantrumers, wielded by rampaging minotaurs, and of course left strewn on the floor of the Hall of The Mountain King when one strips down for magmamancer training :)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »

The spinning *blue anglerfish tattoo* strikes the axedwarf in the head, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The axedwarf has been struck down.

YOU MUST DO THIS THING.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 01:50:03 pm »

Hm. Weaponized tattoos.

YOU MUST DO THIS THING.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »

They would aslo count as being covered, you would have butt-naked dwarves that are perfectly happy because they have the appropriate tattoos picked up from stockpiles covering their naughty bits.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SpecialCookies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:48 pm »

from what materials could you craft tattoos?

a dwarf laced with steel in the form of tattoos?
a moody dwarf produces a nether-cap tattoo of the highest quality?

weaponized tattoos menacing with spikes?
We don't really 'need' to survive, now - do we?
Pages: [1] 2 3