Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie: Mods for a new player  (Read 1486 times)

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newbie: Mods for a new player
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:58:47 am »

Hello everyone. While I have known the existence of DF for a long time this is the first time I will be playing it.
I have played, Neverwinter Nights, The Elder Scrolls, Minecraft etc extensively and am a mod hoarder :P

Althought this is my first time playing DF I was planning to install masterwork DF mod. I wanted to know your opinions on it.
Also any other mod suggestions.
I don't want any mod that makes the gameplay easier than vanilla. Only if something is highly recommended cause the vanialla version is like climbing out of a pit with just one's teeth then please go ahead and recommend it.

Thanks for your help
Nashnir

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie: Mods for a new player
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:15:51 am »

Welcome to the forums!  I think people will have trouble answering your question because, there are tons of good mods here, and whether you prefer one or another or many is going to be a matter of your personal taste.  Personally, I would say that you should probably play vanilla first, since mods aren't documented quite as well as vanilla, and tend to have features that make more sense once you know better how the game works. 

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:20:01 am »

I suggest at first to try the game as it is, or as it comes in the LazyNewbPack with some Tilesets and Utilities.

It's hard enough to get the basics of DF and it is probably easier to get help in the forums without extra hidden complications that may come from any mods.

Nashnir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:25:22 am »

will do that. thanks  :)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:56 am »

I agree, it's always best to get acquainted with the vanilla game first.

I'm not an avid mod user, but if you think you understand what's going on, Masterwork is probably a good place to start. From what I've gathered, it's a collection of a lot of miscellaneous mods and you can turn parts of it on and off; which sounds useful if you want to get an overview without downloading them individually. Also they don't deviate a lot from the vanilla fantasy setting.

If you like to take the game in an entirely different direction, though, that's possible, too. So, if you want to play in the post-apocalypse, or hunt for pokémon, you can.
Have fun!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

I vote vanilla with LazyNewbPack (or at least the Dwarf Therapist utility). Then once you understand what the heck is actually going on you can switch over to the mod of your choice. The two that I strongly suggest are either Masterwork or Genesis, the two top mods right now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:26 am »

I would however warn you that Genesis could be rather NSFW due to certain parts in the raws.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:51:23 am »

I would however warn you that Genesis could be rather NSFW due to certain parts in the raws.

NSFW? Just how erotic can ASCII be?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:33:36 am »

NSFW? Just how erotic can ASCII be?

Well.. make an adventurer and it will soon become obvious after a few battles.

edit: Make that adventurer a wrestler, for the lulz.  :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:35:17 am by Ultimuh »

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »

Vanilla until you get the hang of it. Id go with just the graphics pack from the Lazy Newb and lay off of everything else until you get the hang of the basics.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]