Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves not eating...tantrum spiral  (Read 2498 times)

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
Dwarves not eating...tantrum spiral
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:56:26 pm »

So I have a large amount of prepared food in my stockpiles, livable dining room, and dwarves are not burrowed. However they have refused to eat the prepared meals and are hunting vermin to survive giving bad thoughts, which is quickly becoming a tantrum spiral threatening to destroy the fort in the summer of second year. Any thoughts as to why?

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Dwarves not eating...tantrum spiral
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

Is the dining room set as a dining room?

Is the food easily accessible?

Is the food forbidden?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »

Dining room is designated, stockpile is just outside dining room, food is not forbidden I tried doing a forbid reclaim and it didn't help.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:07:16 pm »

Is the food on a different level than the dining room? Are dwarves able to get to the stockpile?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:49:01 pm »

Has your military claimed it?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:29 pm »

How much food is there?

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:07:48 pm »

Try removing and redesignating the stockpile.  There may be some interfering links or settings or whatever. 

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:24:22 am »

Are/were they "No Job"? Did you try 'cleanowned' in DFHack? Are the food barrels being moved all over the place?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:33:47 am »

Burrow?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 07:42:48 am »

It's either a pathfinding issue or the food is somehow tasked for something other than eating.
Also, you can try to forcefully move it to somewhere else either by designating the items to be dumped or by, as it has been said, moving the stockpile (which might prove pathfinding issues if they will not touch it even if designated to be moved).

Dining halls are not required for eating.
Another solution could be to just grow plump helmets - if there's something wrong with the meals in your pile, you dwarves will clusterfck around freshly grown p.h.s like nerd trekkies around a nude ST actress' picture.
(a>b) ? false : true

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 10:58:30 am »

Another thing I often do, (usually when someone on the other side of the fortress decides they're going to do the task instead of Urist McRightNextToTheDamnThing), is to forbid the items, let the game run for a few seconds, long enough for a few steps, then unforbid. 

I also do that when I deconstruct something and want to use the same material to build the new thing in its place.  Deconstruct, forbid, wait, pause, unforbid and designate construction, unpause.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »

Are/were they "No Job"? Did you try 'cleanowned' in DFHack? Are the food barrels being moved all over the place?
I am on a Mac....in Afghanistan. Not very conducive to finding Mac versions of DFHack and downloading them in any sort of timely fashion.
Has your military claimed it?
I do not have a military established yet, nor do I know how to check if they have claimed the food.
How much food is there?
I have 20 adults currently in the population and about 300 prepared meals.
It's either a pathfinding issue or the food is somehow tasked for something other than eating.
Also, you can try to forcefully move it to somewhere else either by designating the items to be dumped or by, as it has been said, moving the stockpile (which might prove pathfinding issues if they will not touch it even if designated to be moved).

Dining halls are not required for eating.
Another solution could be to just grow plump helmets - if there's something wrong with the meals in your pile, you dwarves will clusterfck around freshly grown p.h.s like nerd trekkies around a nude ST actress' picture.
I'll give it a try redesignating the stockpile.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 02:38:30 pm »

Is the food rotten? if it's in barrels/pots it's generally ok, although some stupid dwarves sometimes put rotten stuff in there for lolz too.

Also, make sure that the stockpile can be reached by the dwarves, especially if you're using ramps instead of stairs. Although i can't see how they could have filled the stockpile and got out again if the way was blocked.

Try setting a temporary dining room literally next to the food.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 05:44:21 pm »

All valid suggestions, none have worked. Really not losing much on this fortress if I abandon, unless someone has some experience with a situation like this I'm throwing in the towel.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 07:56:53 pm »

Try building something right next to the food stockpile and flick through the list of building materials. Does it look like a list of everything in your fortress? Try building something where the dwarves are  hunting vermin. Does that look like a list of everything in your fortress?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2