Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking some advice  (Read 1229 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeking some advice
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:18:28 pm »

I ran into some !!fun!!.  Read at your own risk!  Spoilers within.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My question is, is there any way I can fight these guys?  I can't stand toe-to-toe with them whatsoever.  I've got about 50 or so military dwarves, with around 3 Crossbow squads and 3 squads of melee guys, mostly in iron and steel.  However, I know those will get annihilated by this force.  I'm wondering if there's a way I can utilize a big trap pit or some other means that, once I remove the wall and let these guys in, they'll find themselves in a rather impossible trap and die terribly, and then I can reclaim the adamantine that they managed to steal from me.

Or should I just laugh at them as they stay walled in and continue with my fort?  Assuming they don't tantrum spiral anyway.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:53:35 pm by Mishrak »

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »

Just wall off the circus and when all your dwarfs are military.....
CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:17:00 pm »

Dwarven checkerboard by Thomas Edison AussieGuy:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94140.0
That is, if you can lure them into it...

Casting them in obisidian is probably the dwarfiest way to do it after just charging at them blindly.
You could also lure them into a chamber with loads of linked upright spike traps that are triggered by pressure plates in high-traffic area other similar.
Or let them access the surface. Maybe after a couple years of sieges and angry merchants their numbers will have died down. Bonus points if your biome is reanimating and you built glass-windowed watch towers before letting them out to observe the Fun.

Still, I bet your fort's fps have slowed to a crawl. Be a dwarf and equip everyone with weapons and armor and pray to Armok!
...which will, most likely, work to your disadvantage... regarding that he likes blood (and in a bleeding competiton between dwarves, that can produce blood fountains like an explosion in the national blood bank and demons that do not bleed at all, guess who would win)
(a>b) ? false : true

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »

Consider a VERY long hallway full of spike traps on repeaters. That's what I would do.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 05:39:24 pm »

Dwarven checkerboard by Nikola Tesla AussieGuy:
Fixed. (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:44:03 pm »

Minor note: When discussing demons or Hell, it's polite to give a spoiler warning in the title, so you don't ruin the Fun for newer players.

Do you have any artifact quality furniture lying around? you can use it as bait for a cave-in or for spike traps.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:52:27 pm »

Ah you're right.  I'm sorry about that.  I'll edit the first post.

That checkerboard idea is hilarious, I should try it.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:33:02 pm »

what I did my first circus was simple...
I had a squad of 10 legendery heros The leader the first legendery was covered head to toe in adamantine sacrificing himself half the deamons were sent back to hell tell it was walled off... But there was a problem the other half chased most of my sqaud on top of my mega project the god tower witch I nocked down to kill remaining deamons.
So my tower was destroied my legendery squad is dead but civilian casualtys were only 50 all I have to say is... IT WASNT FUCKING WORTH IT!!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »

Create a battle room.  Put fortifications around the edges, and glass windows behind the fortifications.  Put your engravers and artisans behind the glass windows so that they can observe in relative safety. 

Conscript and equip everyone else, move them into the battle room, and seal it behind them.  Then release them, and go toe to toe.  Perhap a few traps to soften them up, but the goal is to etch the battle on to the memory of every artisan so that all the engravings and crafts in this fortress and future fortresses (assuming anyone survives) are more interesting than "a triangle". 

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:20 am »

Nothing survives a cave-in. Though that doesn't generate any interesting history, unfortunately.

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 07:41:58 am »

IT WASNT FUCKING WORTH IT!!!

How wasn't it worth the effort!? I never managed below 100~120 civilian casualties!
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:12:03 am »

Dwarven checkerboard by Nikola Tesla AussieGuy:
Fixed. (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla)

I kinda doubt that that wireless electricity tower would have actually worked, of course.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 10:25:31 am »

It wasnt worth it becuse it took 20 years to build that tower and 10 legendery warriors Died and a full set of addy is in the depths of hell! Not to menchin a giant crater in the middle of my fort!
I was willing to take a 120 civilian death toll to keep that stuff!

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:01:14 am »

Ah, you confused me for a moment there, Sprin. I thought that you were talking about the gigantic Tesla coil rather than the enormous God tower.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 11:07:37 am »

Nicola Tesla had no say in the making of the god tower. He was incharge of making a time machine to redoo the event... he has made no progress thus far even tho its been 1 year of pure work..