Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Roll to SpecOps :: Yes, it is dead for the foreseeable future.  (Read 8440 times)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to SpecOps :: Mission 1 :: cs_office!?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

Was busy sleeping
Snake begins slowly crouch walking up to the building, taking care not to be seen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to SpecOps :: Mission 1 :: cs_office!?
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 04:39:57 pm »

((@Zako: What's currently available isn't the total extent of what will be. I was planning on adding more things periodically, along with suggestions that I can balance properly.))

____

Smitty checks over his equipment in preparation. His flak jacket is fastened securely, his pistol is holstered, and his climbing line is looped diagonally from shoulder to hip. He checks over his PCA again.

[5]

The tablet computer is operating perfectly. It is roughly the size of a paperback novel, though much thinner. It has enough processing power and memory to house a semi-intelligent AI, the "assistant" part of the name. Smitty pulls up an exterior map of the block.

There are two main buildings, as well as a warehouse. The larger of the two offices is situated on the north-west corner of the block and is connected to the smaller office near the center of the compound with an elevated walkway. A large warehouse occupies the east side of the block. The south-west corner contains the gas station. A parking lot covers part of the northern side of the block. The space between the central office and the warehouse is filled with shipping crates and flatbed trucks.
____

Joseph checks his PCA for locations of the hostages.

[5]

Apparently they are being held in several locations:
The third floor of the north-west building.
The second floor of the central building.
The foreman's office in the warehouse.

____

John jumps out of the van. He tries to remember how to use his PCA as he sneaks into the complex.

[1]

Too busy being puzzled by a simple computer, he walks straight into a chain-link fence. It rattles quite loudly.
____

Edgar checks his PCA for the location(s) of the hostages and floor plans.

[4]; [2]

He finds the same information as Joseph.

Apparently they are being held in several locations:

However, when he searches for floor plans for the buildings, the search is blocked, stating that he doesn't have clearance for that.
____

Sasha gets out of the van and tries to load her UZI. She remembers that she bought an AK-47 ((Check your own charsheet, TCM, geez.  :P)). She decides to remove the full magazine, check it, and slide it back into place.

[1]

She accidentally fires off a round, which ricochets from the asphalt and off into the night.

A quick check of her PCA reveals that [3] there are in fact terrorists of some sort in the buildings.
____

G.E. checks his munitions while searching his PCA for a way onto a rooftop.

[3]; [5]

He isn't sure how heavy the magazine in his Beretta is, and he thinks that he has some grenades. His PCA isn't very helpful, but using his Mark One eyeballs, he can make out a drainpipe leading up the side of the central office building. It looks large enough to support the weight of a human being.
____

Snake starts crouch-walking towards the buildings.

[6]

He crouchwalks so well that he makes it over the chain-link fence and the razor wire at the top before he even notices that it's there. He is currently standing in a small, grassy area with a few benches. Likely a lunch area for employees. The rest of the team is a decent distance back. A four level office building in the middle of the block is the closest to him, currently, about 25 meters away.
____

[2]

Nobody but the team hears John walk into the fence.

[5]

Unfortunately, a whole lot of people hear Sasha's misfire. Panicked shouts rise from the complex as someone peels out from the gas station. What lights were on in the office buildings and warehouse are quickly switched off.

[4]

You can hear tinkling glass, likely terrorists smashing windows to fire from them. Several figures in balaclavas patrol the roof of the north-west building, watching the ground within the compound warily, hefting automatic weapons.

((S'what happens when you group your flavor with your actions. Incidentally, I think I'll modify the rules a bit to make a single check of the PCA per turn into a free action. Just simple stuff, though.  :P :P :P))
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:10:53 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to SpecOps :: Mission 1 :: Misfires Are Wonderful Things
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 04:56:13 pm »

Joseph makes his way as quickly towards the warehouse, looking for a way into it that will save the most people in the least amount of time. While waiting for one of his teammates to join him, he tries to make quiet idle conversation with J.E.E.V.E.S.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

Smitty curses, secures his PCA, and unclips his holster in anticipation.
"Alright, someone want to help me check the gas station?"
Sneak over to the gas station, using cover to avoid the enemy's lines of fire.  Keep an eye out for whatever vehicle just drove off, and be ready to shoot anybody who gets in my way.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »

Smitty curses, secures his PCA, and unclips his holster in anticipation.
"Alright, someone want to help me check the gas station?"
Sneak over to the gas station, using cover to avoid the enemy's lines of fire.  Keep an eye out for whatever vehicle just drove off, and be ready to shoot anybody who gets in my way.

"I'll go with you."
Check out the gas station with Smitty.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2012, 05:54:06 pm »

Snake: Lay down in the grass, hiding myself as well as possible and aim at any visible personnel. If there are no hostiles, quietly crawl over to the entrance to the office building.
Are these hollywood silencers or realistic ones?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:03:53 pm by Geen »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2012, 08:26:57 pm »

Tessan calmly walks towards Sasha, always waiting for the worse anyway. Probably going to screw things up.

Send the obtained information for everyone as a free action then follow Sasha.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:50 pm »

Are these hollywood silencers or realistic ones?
((Closer to the latter. They'll reduce noise and muzzle flash, but not eliminate it. So someone a decent distance away might not recognize or hear them firing, but it won't be James Bondesque silent kills. If you shoot a dude from a few meters away, his buddy will notice. Though I'll probably still mess around with *tap tap tappity-tap* sound effects because that's too much fun to resist, much like making jokes about CounterStrike.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »

Let me guess, the terrorists bunny hop instead of walking?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:10 pm »

((...

Thank you.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2012, 11:34:56 pm »

Get over the fence and check for terrorists while sneakily crawling to the complex and trying to familiarize with the PCA interface

"Damn it."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:36:00 am by Donuts »
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

Joseph decides to head for the warehouse first.

[5]

He climbs the fence and sprints towards the storage area, crouching behind a metal storage container.

The warehouse is roughly ten meters east of him. There are two metal garage-style doors, one closed and the other open with around three feet of clearance, both directly across the open space from Joseph. Windows are spaced along the upper portion of the warehouse wall. The building itself is constructed from concrete with sheet-metal roofing. There is no cover between the shipping crate and the warehouse wall.

Joseph [5] subvocalizes and J.E.E.V.E.S. answers with text; the two carry on a silent conversation while waiting for backup.
____

Smitty goes to investigate the gas station.

[5]

Carefully keeping it between him and the office complex, he slides along a wall until reaching the door. He unclips the securing strap of his holster, ready to draw and fire at anyone that crosses his path. The gas station clerk, apparently having been the victim of past robberies, approaches the door with a revolver in his hands.

[6]

Smitty draws without conscious thought, firing off a single shot from his Beretta.

[6] v. [2]

The round smashes into the clerk's chest. He falls back, a look of disbelief on his face.

4 damage dealt.
____

Sasha follows Smitty towards the gas station.

[2]

She walks in the open, hefting her Kalashnikov on one shoulder. As she approaches, she sees Smitty draw his pistol and gun down the gas station attendant.
____

Snake flops down, going prone.

[6]

He spots two people on the rooftop of the north-west office building. Another one is peering through a window in the south-west corner of the warehouse. A glint of reflected light shines inside the third window from the left on the fourth floor of the north-west structure. None of the visible targets are close enough for Snake to feel confident of a kill-shot on the first try.

[5]

He belly-crawls towards the central office building.

No door is evident on the south or west sides, but there is an open ground floor window near the south-west corner. There is also a large drainpipe towards the middle of the southern wall; it leads all the way up to the roof and looks sturdy enough to support a person.
____

Tessan retransmits the information on the hostage locations to everyone else.

[6]

Every member of the team recieves it; Joseph's silent conversation with J.E.E.V.E.S. is disrupted. Tessan follows Sasha, possibly hoping to keep her in check.

[2]

He joins her and they stand around together in the middle of the gas station parking lot. Tessan notices the clerk that Smitty shot a moment ago.
____

John

[4]

climbs the fence, crawling towards the central office. He checks for terrorists while doing so.

[5]

He notes two on the roof of the north-west office and another in a window near the south-west corner of the warehouse. He tries to remember how to use his PCA.

[5]

It all comes back to him:

The PCA is a dual voice/touch interface computer with an AI helper that pulls up data and performs various tasks on request. This vastly reduces the time a user needs to do any given thing, but can also complicate matters if the AI decides to not cooperate. This particular model uses a light-reduction module that drastically cuts screen visibility beyond a few feet from the screen. Apparently higher-end PCAs include a direct neural interface that removes the need for manual or voice interaction.
____

[6]

Smitty's shot draws quite a bit of attention. Several of the terrorists begin taking potshots; one actually manages to aim in the right direction, firing at [3, 5] Sasha and Tessan, who make for the most obvious targets, given that they're standing out in the open beneath a street light.

[2] v. [2]  Sasha trips as rifle rounds strike the pavement around her, barely avoiding them.

[3] v. [1]  Tessan throws himself flat on his face, barely avoiding the bullets nominally directed at him.
____

The clerk raises his hand, firing back at Smitty.

[2] v. [6]

Smitty throws himself back away from the door rather unnecessarily, as the clerk's shot goes high, shattering the glass near the top of the pane.
____

Everyone receives Tessan's message regarding the locations of the hostages:

____

((Boy, I love dice rollers that let you set your own #-sided dice; makes it much fairer when selecting targets for random/poorly aimed attacks.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to SpecOps :: Mission 1 :: Innocents Shot: 1
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:19 pm »

"Damn.  How is he still standing?"
Finish off the aggro'd clerk as I move into the cover of the gas station.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 06:25:26 pm »

((Because if I ramped up damage enough for a pistol to 1HKO someone, this would be a very short-lived RTD. Or one with a shitload of characters rotating through. S'sort of like how in sword-and-sorcery RPGs you can take a fireball to the face or a sword to the gut and still be in fighting shape. So yeah, gameplay > realism in this particular case.))

3. Run Resize Enable

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 06:44:34 pm »

"Damn.  How is he still standing?"
Finish off the aggro'd clerk as I move into the cover of the gas station.

"That wasn't very...professional."

Investigate Gas Station.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9