Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25048 times)

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »

You're correct about the diagonal flow.

So... Who's next on the succesion list?
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »

4 Sandstone: Citizens Rejoice!  The Man of Wood Opal, Gogol Donusut, has seen fit to come to the depths below our fortress!  Some may see the arrival of a Forgotten Beast to be a herald of doom, but I say it is a herald of the Time of Dwarven Glory!  They that were old when the world was new shall rise to bring forth the ruination of the hated goblins and foolish elves and humans.  But, if we hold firm, we will be spared their terrible wrath to inherit the new world that they leave in their wake.

(It got into a forgotten wing of the fortress from the caverns, but thankfully I walled off that wing as part of my mad cavern-sealing attempts.  It includes tons of spaces I couldn't divine the nature of, and the tomb of Dash27.  I'll probably have to carve a slab for him if the thing wrecks his coffin.)

25 Timber: Citizens Rejoice!  Soon we shall be a Barony, and I shall be your Baron!  Our Glory is ever increasing, and none shall say that I did not lead you from the darkness!  In light of this, I shall appoint another to administer day-to-day affairs such as overseeing and brewing come the new year.  We 37 dwarves of Hauntedhalls are the most devoted on the continent.  The Chosen Ones are among us!  Praise to Armok and Zuden!

While we await another Brewer to take my place, I have ordered seeds and drink from the mountainhomes, to protect us from lean futures.

1 Moonstone: Citizens Rejoice!  Winter is upon us -- the Season of Death, and Therefore the Season of Hauntedhalls!  In death, all things are possible.  In Death, we will find new life.  I know some of you still complain of the restless ghosts of the failed, those who were not Chosen Ones, and died in the Times of Troubles.  Those days will soon end, as their earthly remains are sealed in stone in the crypts, and I have taken steps to assure that the Times of Troubles do not afflict us again.  All Glory to the Gods, and I their Prophet!

11 Moonstone: Citizens Rejoice!  We now have more coffins than places to put them in the pre-existing graves of the servants.  I have ordered a new maze of the dead dug out, that will be filled with coffins as they are created.  I have done this even though I know it shall slow the construction of my new quarters -- but alas, all things in this world require sacrifice, and by this token you shall know that I sacrifice for all of you!

(A wide-angle look at the freshly designated maze: This was going to be one of the projects for my reign, before I unpaused and suffered the Panic.  I might actually complete at least this much, too.)

22 Moonstone: Citizens, Rejoice!  One of our fine doctors has been struck with Divine Inspiration!

6 Opal: Citizens, Rejoice! The Artifact is completed, and it is an instrument worthy of being played by a Chosen One, and named to truly represent our struggles and our shared sacrifice in Hauntedhalls.  BEHOLD!

18 Opal: Citizens, Rejoice!  Our long task of Engineering is complete, and the Cistern will now fill!

11 Obsidian: Citizens Rejoice!  Not only is the Well at the Hospital finally active, but I now have all I need to be your Baron, and the Maze of the Dead is nearly dug out!  Today is a glorious day in Hauntedhalls!

26 Obsidian: Citizens Rejoice!  We have filled every barrel and pot in Hauntedhalls!  We will never go thirsty again!

1 Granite, 207: Citizens Rejoice!  The Times of Troubles are now firmly behind us.  When I took this post a year ago today, we were a mass driven by fear, nearly made extinct.  now, our glorious fortress is a Barony, recognized by the Mountainhomes from whence we came.  Soon enough, the star of our fortune shall rise ever higher.  But, as I am now a Baron, I must look to the Whole Realm that belongs to us, rather than the day-to-day management of Hauntedhalls.  One among you shall rise, and become a new overseer today.  Today, our march out of the ashes is complete, and our march to glory begins!

Also, could someone haul the indicated statues to my tomb?  I fear the efforts of other former overseers may drive me to it early if this isn't done.

Hauntedhalls:

Quick Facts for the Next Overseer:
1) We're out of barrels, and so can't brew any more booze.  As you can see from the stocks, though, that isn't a big deal
2) Though I didn't get around to renaming the migrants, most of them have the "Slave" setup, which means they have masonry and stone detailing enabled.  This is great for having a legion of unskilled dwarves build walls and smooth stone, which was my goal, but won't be so great if you decide to do engraving!  Additionally, a ton of dwarves have mining enabled, because jobs just weren't getting done for a while.
3) The Cistern is now full enough to operate the well, which is right next to the Hospital.  I don't know if my depressurization mechanism has worked yet, though I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.
4) There are two levers critical to the operation of the Fortress.  The first lever is made in Microcline and is in the Well room.  It opens and closes the floodgate that fills the Well Cistern.  It's currently open, I don't know why you would ever close it, assuming pressure doesn't start a flood, but it's there.  The other is Bauxite, and is in what I judged to be the fortress commons
Spoiler: Here (click to show/hide)
This lever opens and closes the Drawbridge at the main gate.  It's closed right now, for safety, since we don't even have the beginnings of a functional military.  I'd recommend opening it for migrants in general because we need all the dwarves we can get, but only for traders you absolutley want to deal with: the caravan from the mountainhomes, probably.
5) There are two ghosts left in Hauntedhalls, but we're crafting coffins, and I think there are even some in the Maze that haven't been placed/flagged for burial left.  This is a good thing, as at our worst point, we might have had more ghosts than living dwarves.  Also, I think the last violent one was laid to rest.
6) THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT: There are some parts of the fortress that are sealed off: we had maybe a dozen entrances to the caverns, but I was able to cut off most of them at a couple strategic choke points.  Now, we have a nice stairway down to the magma industries (Which might need to be reinforced against fire imps: I didn't do that).  Don't remove constructed walls or dig around them if you don't want to suffer death by forgotten beast, especially since our current one would be deadly hard to kill.

Views of Hauntedhalls:
Spoiler: The Surface (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Hospital (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Maze of the Dead (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tevish Szat's Tomb (click to show/hide)

Named Dwarves:
Spoiler: Tevish Szat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ferlan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cuckundu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shali (click to show/hide)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:35 am »

Sweet, I have a title.
If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:52 am »

Umm, as to the turn list I believe it is:

Edward_Tohr

then

CaptainArchmage

then

Kalemyr Skyfire

then

me
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:29:59 am by shali8 »
If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2012, 02:56:09 am »

Remember this fortress?  It still exists.

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:20 am »

alright if the other two are awol give the turn to skyfire

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »

So I can begin now?

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

I'd say go ahead, but then again i'm not the one in charge.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

Umm, as to the turn list I believe it is:

Edward_Tohr

then

CaptainArchmage

then

Kalemyr Skyfire

then

me
And Scruffy, the janitor me
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:42 pm »

I'll play my turn, but would someone please message Terra about this thread?
I hope this is not too drastic, but if Terra doesn't respond, I'm going to create a new thread
for HauntedHalls.

Also, Welcome to Hauntedhalls, Scruffy!
Would you like a Dwarf as well?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2012, 04:21:53 am »

I hope this is not too drastic, but if Terra doesn't respond, I'm going to create a new thread
for HauntedHalls.

I already asked for a dwarf 2 weeks ago  ::)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2012, 10:25:52 am »

for HauntedHalls.

I'm really sorry folks, I was away for a few days. Darn place doesn't have interwebs.  >:(

Anyway, feel free to play your turn. I'll update the turn list tonight.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

for HauntedHalls.

I already asked for a dwarf 2 weeks ago  ::)
My sincere apologies.  I didn't want to dwarf anyone until the Death Wave was over, and when it ended I only did a cursory scan.

MinethatCrackers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2012, 05:51:17 pm »

Sing me up and dorf me. An engraver or mason, whichever is open and has higher skill.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14