Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25113 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »

Bridges. Bridges everywhere.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2012, 10:21:11 pm »

Bridge over a moat (even a dry moat) is pretty effective for just sealing yourself in, but the moat has to be at least 2 wide so you can climb out the outside and not the inside
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2012, 10:04:05 am »

In any case, if we pull off this resurrection, I think I'd be willing to take a turn.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2012, 12:09:45 pm »

Count me still in as well.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »

I apologize for my absence, had a crazy few days.

My brother announced he was getting married (!)

In Indonesia (!!)

And I get a free flight out there and a week in Bali after the wedding (!! :D)

I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »

In Indonesia (!!)

Hey, that's awesome! :D Congrats, enjoy your trip! :)

Will you still be able to take your turn? We can just re-schedule it if you'd like. It's your choice.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »

In Indonesia (!!)

Hey, that's awesome! :D Congrats, enjoy your trip! :)

Will you still be able to take your turn? We can just re-schedule it if you'd like. It's your choice.

Thanks!  :D Don't worry, the trips not until the 27th, I'll be able to do my turn just fine :) I plan on doing it tonight if I have time.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »

Any progress?  I'm itchin' to find out what happens.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »

I deeply apologize for the delay! Been studying like mad.

Log of Spinning Welshman Semormafol

1st Granite, 203AF

I had a horrible dream last night. Yesterday charred_gp told me he was resigning as overseer, and that I had to take over, something about needing a break and it being time for someone with a new perspective to take over.

But last night... I dreamed I was in Hauntedhalls, but not like it is now. It was... Chaos.
Dwarves, screaming, roaring, or just babbling with insanity, tearing at each other... And goblins. Goblins stalking through the insane melee casually cutting us down, almost lazily, as if we were no threat to them. It felt like they were right. I woke up with a terrible sense of forboding, the dream felt so real...

I know what I must do. I'm no mystic who can interpret such things, nor am I certain there is anything to be read from my nightmare, but I do know one thing.

I cannot risk such a thing happening to Hauntedhalls.

We will need a barracks to begin training a brave and proud military.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8th Granite, 203AF

I've ordered a holding area constructed to house prisoners awaiting processing. We need somewhere more secure than our general stockpiles.

I've also begun a marble quarry near the borders of the caverns. I just hope we can begin producing steel in time...

9th Granite, 203AF
Kivish Olonmezum started twitching and gibbering in a strange, twisted language in the dining hall today. The dwarves near him back away, but he didn't seem interested in them. He ran straight to a craftdwarf workshop and began working on... Something. I'm gonna tell the dwarves there to keep an eye on him.

20th Granite, 203AF
We've had a birth. Normally I would be happy, but that puts us at 80 dwarves, Hauntedhalls is growing in size, and that's bound to attract the goblins. I need to look to the defences.

1st Slate, 203AF
Kivish finally finished whatever he was working on, it's... a crown.
I don't know whether to be relieved that whatever foul apparition possessed him didn't create something dangerous, or disappointed that it wasn't something more useful. Well, I've told the dwarves to be careful with it, just incase it has any unknown properties.

20th Slate, I've expanded the dining room, and added a level connected to the main drawbridge in the corner, I had this strange insistent feeling that we needed a way to close the bridge... Damn, my head feels strange, think I'm gonna have a lie down.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:08 pm »

2nd Felsite, 203AF

Migrants! Damn... I don't know how many more dwarves we can hold... Oh, there's only two. Carry on gents.

19th Felsite, 203AF

A vile force of darkness has arrived! This is the moment I prepared for... But my military doesn't yet have steel armour.

Time to close the gate!
The gate is closed, thank Akil. Unfortunately for them, the elves turned up just before he goblins. Stupid tree-huggers.

I plan to sit tight until this siege passes, I considered sending my military out, as there are only two squads of them, but when I thought about it I experienced a sudden feeling of uneasiness and a voice told me it would Hauntedhalls' undoing. I feel strange...

27th Felsite, 203AF
Odd. Dwarves from the walls report that the goblins aren't approaching the elves.
Those damn greenskins don't even have the courtesy to rid us of the dirty elves. Humph.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:52 pm »

3rd Galena, 203AF

Ok, this is worrying. And hilarious.

The worrying part is that the hospital has flooded:

Armok be praised! My brave masons managed to wade through and finish off the flood barrier, preventing our lower levels from being completely blocked off. The hospital is still out of reach for now, but at least we aren't drowning.

For now, even my most skilled engineers have no idea how to solve the flooding problem. So I'm going to focus on things I can do, like producing more steel.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2012, 10:39:38 pm »

9th Galena, 203AF

By Armok, a dwarf went into a mood without anyone notifying me, their overseer, and he's created a tetrahedrite trumpet!
I suppose it would be good for "rock" music? I must apologize. Puns are beneath an overseer such as myself.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2012, 11:20:09 pm »

11th Galena, 203AF

A ranger made it outside the fort, through completely unknown means, and was killed by the goblins. I'd execute him for his stupidity if he wasn't already dead.

24th Limestone, 203AF

Migrants arrived! The goblins have gone now, so we're opening the gate to them.

Hauntedhalls now holds 125 dwarves! This is truly an achievement worth notice in the mountainhall!

5th Timber, 203AF
Hauntedhalls has enjoyed a time of relative tranquillity and peace. Steel production is going well enough for us to begin producing armour. Also, the more time passes since the goblins left, the quieter the strange voice in my head becomes. It's almost as if it was a herald sent to warn me of their coming... Even stranger, it spoke to me with my voice.

I went to gamerboy4life, our head medical dwarf, and he mumbled something about some dwarf called freud and how it was probably something to do with fantasies about my mother. Jackass.

15th Timber
A vile force of darkness has arrive! I feel our dwarves are more prepared for it this time however. And if the goblins number too many for us to handle, we'll just close the gate. Hauntedhalls shall prosper!

I'm afraid I don't have time to finish my year just now. I have to leave for the wedding soon, and I won't be back for 10 days.

I'm really sorry about that, I was trying to get this done on time. :/
I'm gonna upload it though, so if you guys don't feel like waiting for me then you can finish my year and carry on, I feel like i've delayed you too long as it is.

In any case, long live hauntedhalls! Despite my failures, I've had a good time with this fort and you guys, and hopefully I'll play another turn in the future when I have time. :)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:14 am »

Oh my, I'm next. I'm terrified of taking this over, never dealt with a siege before. Whee!! I'll wait and see what OP has to say about your turn though.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »

I'm really sorry about that, I was trying to get this done on time. :/
I'm gonna upload it though, so if you guys don't feel like waiting for me then you can finish my year and carry on, I feel like i've delayed you too long as it is.

Heh, don't feel bad about this. We all have our real-life obligations, and as for the delay, well I'm one of the studying folk myself, I know how things are. :P

I think we'll just go on and finish your turn - the turn list is rather short, so chances are you'll get a second turn early enough! ;D
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14