Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25081 times)

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 03:04:18 pm »

EDIT: New version is working fine for me.  :) Seeing as me and charred_gp apparently got the same glitch, I think it should work fine for him now too.  :)

Ah, thank heavens. I apologize for the trouble, sometimes the tried&true method is the best. :-[
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:44 pm »

EDIT: New version is working fine for me.  :) Seeing as me and charred_gp apparently got the same glitch, I think it should work fine for him now too.  :)

Ah, thank heavens. I apologize for the trouble, sometimes the tried&true method is the best. :-[

No worries.  :) What were you using to zip it the first time round? I must admit I'd never heard of a tarball before now.  :P

Also, just gave the fort a peek, looks good so far.  :) I'm wondering what the 1400 or so things in the "other" food category are though, we have 350 (!!) raw mussels, but I can't work out what the rest are.  :P Still, that's far more food than I usually have lying around in my first year.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 03:20:17 pm »

No worries.  :) What were you using to zip it the first time round? I must admit I'd never heard of a tarball before now.  :P

I usually use 7zip with various algorithms. Tar is an old, old Unix format - it's mostly used by Linux people nowadays. And open-sourcers.

Also, just gave the fort a peek, looks good so far.  :) I'm wondering what the 1400 or so things in the "other" food category are though, we have 350 (!!) raw mussels, but I can't work out what the rest are.  :P Still, that's far more food than I usually have lying around in my first year.  :P
Fish. Tons and tons of fish. I've had all idlers up as fisherdwarves for a while, but changed it when a lot of hauling needed to be done.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »

I usually use 7zip with various algorithms. Tar is an old, old Unix format - it's mostly used by Linux people nowadays. And open-sourcers.

Fish. Tons and tons of fish. I've had all idlers up as fisherdwarves for a while, but changed it when a lot of hauling needed to be done.

Ahhh, well that's curious, because I was using 7zip to extract it.  :P

And I had thought it was probably fish of some kind, I wasn't sure though because it listed none in the fish category.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »

Got the save, it seems to work fine in DF! Expect an update sometime today, everyone.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 06:07:31 pm »

Log of "Charred_gp" Mengesmul

1st of Granite, 202
At my request, Tau has stepped down as overseer, letting me lead in his stead. I plan on making sure everything runs smoothly. First thing's first, we need better living than a dormitory. The seven of us are going to have much grander bedrooms, probably the more important and skilled dwarves as well. The newbies can all sleep in some hole in the ground as far as I care. I've drawn up a rough sketch of what I'll be asking Iron Tea to dig out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second order of business. Kittens and puppies! So adorable, but even more delicious. More meat, less fish. That's my motto. Hell, we get enough meat and tallow and we can start making some prepared meals. Mmmmm. Plump helmet roast with kitten meat...
On the food note, I set the bottom field to grow something other than plump helmets, so we should start seeing some variety in our booze soon.

9th of Granite
And then Iron Tea went on break without even finishing the goddamn stairs. I noticed some levers in the dining room, both of them unlabeled. I pray if a siege comes I don't wind up flooding the fortress by mistake.

15th of Granite
Apparently a craftsdwarf got stuck in the storage for our workshops...somehow. I'm completely lost. He just seems to be standing there, watching the others enter and leave freely. Idiot is probably going to starve...

22nd of Granite
Migrants! Holy crap, that's a lot. We now house almost 50 dwarves, and the housing hasn't even been dug out yet. We're gonna need more booze and food, too. And a bigger dining room...

23rd of Granite
Huh. That stuck dwarf fell asleep, woke up a bit later, and just walked off like nothing happened. Weird...

15th of Slate
A child has been taken by a mood! He took the craftsdwarf's shop, so who knows what he'll make.

20th of Slate
It is done! Olon Nanir, The Gear of Rhyme. It's not particularly amazing, but now we have a legendary woodcrafter. So...yay?

3rd of Felsite
The noble dorms are done and almost fully furnished, and the the peasant dorms are nearly dug out as well. I've set Tevish to work smoothing our rooms out.

19th of Felsite
Caught a snatcher just as the elves arrived. I figured we'd just take all the shit we need and send them on their way. Except they brought a guest with them.

21st of Felsite
Oh...kay... He turned back into an elf after killing a horse and two chickens and just left again. Weird...
-------------
Well that's it for the first update. Tell me what you guys think so far.

Cuckundu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:15 pm »

This looks like it'll be Fun - I can't wait for more updates. Any chance I could get dorfed?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:13 pm »

Log of Tevish Szat, Chief Architect and Master Engraver of Hauntedhalls.

So much smoothing to do.  Barely got a chance to see what was going on in the fortress at large.  I hear that the elves brought some sort of giraffe-man abomination when they came to trade.  Interesting, I'll have to remember that one for when I get to carving.

Can't wait for the private rooms, either.  Oh I know it'll be a while before they all get doors to be real private, but you can't blame a dwarf for looking forward.

Well, maybe you can, but I don't think I've seen a hammerer about yet, so I figure I'm safe.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:10 am »

Log of Spinning Welshman Semormafol, Head Carpenter of Hauntedhalls.

21st Felsite, 202AF.

Our new Overseer, Charred_gp has gotten around to ordering some proper accommodations set up.

Finally. I was getting tired of sleeping in the dirt with the rats.

I am worried about our lack of a militia though. Now that our population is starting to boom we're much more visible to the greenskins.
and I just can't make myself trust our traps to protect us. Especially after that... Thing... Turned up with the elves. By Rinal, I knew we shouldn't be trusting those woodland scavengers.

Still, things will be looking up when we get our own rooms. I suppose I'll be put to work making beds soon, but it's for a good cause if it gets me somewhere more comfortable than a hallway to rest.

OOC:

Nice update charred_gp :) looking forward to the next one.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 10:24:25 pm »

Log of "Charred_gp" Mengesmul Part 2

28th of Felsite
Well the elves are unwilling to trade or something, which apparently meant "take all the cloth" to everyone. Well it's not like we need a whole bunch of wood anyway. Which reminds me, having a pile in the...I shudder to imagine...sun...is a horribly undwarfy way of storing things. I've ordered a wood pile dug out near the workshops, as well as some more doorways for convenience.

1st of Hematite
Troubling...Our cage traps have caught two snatchers now, and we've nowhere to put them. I'm tempted to order a storage pit for them, but without any kind of militia, I'd rather not run the risk of them buggers making their way out. I'll just make a storage area for the cages and let someone else handle it.

8th of Hematite
This is taking too long! I ordered all the migrants to be engravers in addition to Tevish. Worst case scenario, it takes less time to smooth shit. Best case, we get a mood or two.

26th of Hematite
I drafted a rough militia and ordered some archery targets made. Thankfully we have enough crossbows and rangers that we aren't too screwed if we can seal off the fort.

3rd of Malachite
More migrants! And the most useful thing we got was a novice smelter. Fuck. I've decided to start work on a basic arena. It'll be 3 stories high in total. The lowest floor will be a 10-wide circle, the actual arena itself. The second floor will hold the archers, to ensure they can rain death upon the goblins. The third floor will be where the goblins will be dropped from above, to ensure no messy entries by civilians. Obviously there will be an airlock to ensure no goblins can escape, but first I must construct the plans.

5th of Galena
I've started actually furnishing the peasant area, as well as finished digging the arena! The actual arena and archer zones will be smoothed down and possibly engraved.

18th of Galena
Haha! Take that! Two kobolds got caught by out horses and then got shot down by our archers. And here I thought they'd be totally useless.

23rd of Galena
Yes! The arena and lookout have been smoothed! Soon we shall be able to train our marksdwarves the way they were meant to be trained. With live targets.

5th of Limestone
A dwarf is possessed! Whoo!

10th of Limestone
And he's standing around because nobody built a clothesmaker's workshop. Naturally...

20th of Limestone
I ordered two prisoners dropped into the arena, and the archers into position. Time to see if everything works.

22nd of Limestone
Well, they haven't escaped, but the idiots won't take some bolts. Always has to be something going wrong with my plans, it seems...

9th of Sandstone
It's done! Kikrostem Bisekam, a wool...thong?! What the...It has spikes and...two jewels. Real fucking classy.

Is it spring yet?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:28 pm »

@Artifact: It also has the image of a Forgotten Beast on it.  That was one disturbed dwarf/possessing spirit.

Log of Tevish Szat:
Apprentices!  I admit, I haven't exactly been pining for aid, but I'm sure I can use them well enough.  So far, we're all just on smoothing detail, but when it gets to the real work they had better learn their meltings from their burnings and striking down from just striking.  The engraver's art is forever, or at least until some idiot miner decides that the wall with a masterpiece on it would look better as a doorway.

I'm not bitter about anything that happened back at the mountainhomes at all.

One thing's worrisome though: I heard some of the others talking, saying that there's a necromancer tower nearby.  I've heard rumors of though, and right now the overseer is building an arena (A worthy project in isolation -- I hope to carve its walls with images of goblins being slaughtered in it.) rather than a secure refuse pit.  Perhaps I should draw up some plans?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 11:06:26 am »

Log of "Charred_gp" Mengesmul Part 3

13th of Sandstone
Still more fucking migrants. On the plus side, we got a damn good carpenter and another wood cutter. On the down side, HALF OF THEM ARE FUCKING FISHERDWARVES. WE HAVE ENOUGH FISH, DAMMIT. Anywho, I've started working on our defenses a little more by building a ring of fortifications around the top of our entrance. It won't be much, but hopefully it'll keep the marksdwarves safe.

6th of Timber
Tau and Gamerboy have gotten married! Congrats to the lucky couple.

10th of Timber
Huh. At some point we caught som ravens. I set our only actually competent trainer to domesticating them. I figure we can try to make war ravens if we get good at it.

14th of Timber
We need more wood and I'm sick of the surface. I'm going to start looking for the caverns so we can get some fungus and such growing.

15th of Timber
Just as our outpost liason arrives?! Shit! Do we even have any crafts apart from our statues?
Even worse! They just found an ambush! On the plus side, we found the caverns, but the outpost liason is fucked unless he's smart enough to run back to the guards or into our fort where the traps will save him.

16th of Timber
And there goes the liason. Fuck. Hope the mountainhomes don't blame us for that...

17th of Timber
A second ambush on top of the first. Naturally... You know what? Fuck it. We're locking down. The traders can fend for themselves.

20th of Timber
IDIOTS! WHY WOULD YOU GO OUTSIDE WHEN A TRADER DIES? THE GOBLINS ARE RIGHT FUCKING THERE!

21st of Timber
I...I don't believe it. Our militia beat the goblins to death with their crossbows. Without a single loss...If I counted right, we only lost 3 dwarves in the stupidity. Nobody important, thank Armok.

1st of Moonstone
With the coming of winter I've ordered a space dug out for our grazing animals. They're going to either starve or freeze on the surface, and it's pretty redundant now that we have cavern fungus growing everywhere. We've got some copper bars smelted from the goblins' armor and weapons, so I'll let the next overseer decide what to do for that. I think I'll make coffins for the dead out of them first, though. No dwarf should bear the indignity of a wood coffin.

7th of Moonstone
Score! Fey mood! Let's see what we get this time. I've also ordered a larger dining room to be dug out in the noble's area. Armok knows we need the space for all the new dwarves we've got...

14th of Moonstone
Our moody dwarf has started his work. I can't wait to see what we get!

18th of Moonstone
Success! A legendary stonecrafter and a new artifact!

5th of Obsidian
Okay, or maybe our metalcrafter will be completely retarded. For some reason he insists he can't access any bars, despite them being RIGHT FUCKING THERE. I give up. Stone coffins it is. If there's anything left to bury at any rate...

14th of Obsidian
Okay, turns out he was stuck in a burrow or something. I don't know. I'm too lazy to work at anything else, so I'm just gonna get to work making sure some people have cabinets and doors.

1st of Granite
And I am fucking done. My regards to whatever poor sucker has to run this place next. I'm just glad I can focus on my masonry now.
---------------

Yep! A rather uneventful year, I'm sorry to say, apart from the goblin excitement. Same for the lack of pictures this time around, but nothing was really picture-worthy. The new dining room is totally unfurnished, so do as you please there. Off the top of my head, there's nothing else I can think of for the next in line. The save should work fine, but you may have to fix the graphics if you aren't using Phoebus.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6861

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 09:50:52 pm »

Congrats on surviving our first bit of Fun!  :D May we have much more in the future...

Ok, I'll download the save, and see how much I can get done tonight, can't promise an update before tomorrow, but I'll give it a shot.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2012, 02:05:19 am »

Log of Spinning Welshman Semormafol

1st Granite, 203AF

I was in the dining hall getting some grub when I saw our overseer charred_gp storm out muttering something about being "fucking done". I went after him and enquired, we'd been friends for roughly two years at this point after all. Turned out he was resigning from his post as overseer. I couldn't quite piece together the reason from his ramblings, but it might have had something to do with being frustrated over a certain metal worker.

Anyway, with a vacuum in leadership, it seems necessary for me to take over, at least for the moment. I'm not taking advantage of the situation to better my owns ends. Not at all.

Ok, I've had a look over charred_gp's notes, and done the rounds to check everything. It seems to me that with the influx of new dwarves, we need an overhaul in our industrial centre, and the dining hall could do with some expansion to accommodate our new population. So I'll handle those things first.

10th Granite, 203AF

I noticed that we don't have any extra tables or chairs for the dining hall. Looks like I get to get my hands dirty.

21st Granite, 203AF

A boy was just born, pushing our population up to 80. While this is a glorious milestone, it also makes us very appealing to those damn greenskins. I've decided to set up a squad of axe dwarves incase our traps don't stop the filthy buggers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:16:19 am by Spinning Welshman »

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »

This looks like it'll be Fun - I can't wait for more updates. Any chance I could get dorfed?

Seeing as you didn't ask for any particular kind of dorf, you get the last of the starting 7.  :)

You are Cuckundu Dellhatchet, a female farmer/brewer:

You're also charred_gp's lover.  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14