Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25075 times)

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

Personal diary of Tau, expedition leader
10th Malachite, 201AF
The outpost of Hauntedhalls

Oh, what a happy day! I was looking after our horses when I saw someone coming down a nearby hill. It was a small group of migrants! Our fortress now has four more members.
charred_gp has completed our surface defenses. Hauntedhalls is now protected by a stout brick wall, and the fortress entrance is further secured by a field of cage traps. A trade depot has been set up near the entrance,

I've been dabbling in glassmaking recently. The red sand here is excellent for that. I've produced a number of quaint statues, and our fort entrance is now adorned by two statues of Usen the Bastion of Trust, the dwarven god of mercy. Sadly I am the only one revering this deity in our fort. But it doesn't matter. We are all children of Armok.

5th Galena, 201AF

Tevish Szat and I have been working on plans for a reservoir lately, and today I've given Iron Tea the order to begin digging it. We are taking water directly from the brook, but we can seal the reservoir off with a floodgate, and a floor grate will keep invaders from using it as an entry. I made both of them myself! This green glass is awesome, you can use it for so many things. I'm thinking about creating some profitable crafts this way, though I need more practice.

Our surface installations as they currently are.

17th Galena, 201AF

What a day! We've successfully fended off our first attack by kobolds. Three of the buggers ran right into our surface installations - Armok knows how they got past the traps. Thankfully we our horses spotted them - I was on the way to my office when I heard their agitated neighing. We went up the stairs, but they were already running away. Fortunately, I think, because we don't have any soldiers or warrior monks protecting our fort yet.

5th Sandstone, 201AF

Rigòth, a ranger who migrated to our fort, has been on the surface hunting for turkeys. The dwarves of Hauntedhalls are excited to have a few pieces of meat in the stockpile. I can't blame them, we've lived solely of plump helmets for the last months. Some have suggested that we should set up a farm with some livestock - I must remember to order it from the mountainhome when the caravan comes. We expect one next month.

Delicious turkey!

28th Sandstone, 201AF

More migrants have arrived!

New citizens of Hauntedhalls, here they come!

Our fort now has a population of 18, a proud little outpost. Many of the new fortress members are fisherdwarves and farmers, which allows us to improve our food production. We will soon have lots of food and drink reserves. A few dwarves have been complaining about the dormitory, saying that we have enough resources to set up a bedroom for everyone. They're right, but fresh water is more important now. We need to complete the reservoir.

13th Timber, 201AF

Just as expected, a caravan from the mountainhome has arrived! I've talked to the liaison and he was more than satisfied with our progress.

I've traded some glass crafts for supplies, and I've ordered some llamas and pigs for next year's caravan.

The caravan from the mountainhome. Not depicted: Me trading. It's hard work, you know.

The liaison told me of the recent happenings in the mountainhomes. It seems that the populace is growing increasingly restless. There have been more goblin attacks and fallen heroes arriving at the fortresses of the Short Barb. They will send more migrants soon, but our mission is urgent: Hauntedhalls must become a bulwark against the greenskin invasions. Chances are we'll have them outside our walls in less than a year, if they notice our fortress.

26th Timber, 201AF

Our reservoir is finally complete! We now have a source of fresh water for the whole year!

That green glass grate is exquisite, wouldn't you agree?

Now that the well is set up, we can move on to other projects.

17th Moonstone, 201AF

I've ordered Iron Tea to begin with the carving of the catacombs. For a long time I've thought about the design of our most hallowed halls, and Tevish Szat has provided me with many good ideas. I think, though, that it was the necropolis of an ancient abandoned fort I've visited many years ago that influenced my final plans the most. I remember how I stood in the colossal halls deep below the surface, the walls lined with crumbling coffins, and felt the faith of my people more than ever. 'Here rest the proud dead, defiant until the end, immortal in Armok's Forge.'

The catacombs of Hauntedhalls!

Now that it's getting colder outside, we'll go up to the surface only when necessary. I hope the winters here aren't too hard.

Momuz came to me today, asking me to task Spinning Welshman with the construction of more barrels. I don't know how I missed the fact that we are low on barrels, it's right there in my books!

1st Granite, 202AF

We've set up a hospital close to the well. It feels rather ironic to have it so close to the catacombs' entrance.

In related news, Iron Tea and Tevish Szat have finished what shall become my mausoleum. I've designed it myself. It's a rather humble tomb - I have seen much larger ones - but I didn't want an overly pompous thing. A dwarf's worth is not determined by the mausoleum he builds for himself in life, but by the veneration he receives after he died.

Memento moriendum esse.

charred_gp has been pushing me to step down as the fortress leader. He has noticed my inattentiveness and is pleading me to take a break. I think he's right. As of today, I'm resigning as overseer.

I only hope he knows what he's doing.

Alright folks, that's my run. There's really not much wealth in the fortress right now, so except for the kobolds, there hasn't been a lot of action. Save will go up as soon as I get DFFD sorted out. :-[
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:58:09 am by Terra_Inc »
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:43 am »

Great work!  :) I love the tomb design! This is shaping up to be quite the fort.

Let's see what charred_gp makes of it  :)

Also, I was wondering, with your mention of necro towers in the OP, are we close enough to be invaded by the horde?
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:10 am »

Also, I was wondering, with your mention of necro towers in the OP, are we close enough to be invaded by the horde?

I'm not sure. I don't have a lot of experience with necromancer towers. Let me see if I can find a map...

EDIT: Here it is.

The µ marks the location of Hauntedhalls, the two π mark the locations of goblin fortresses and the I is the necro tower to the northeast of our fort. The large mountain range to the south is the Short Barb.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:34:11 am by Terra_Inc »
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:00 am »

I'm not sure. I don't have a lot of experience with necromancer towers. Let me see if I can find a map...

Well, I think if they come up in the list of neighbouring civs before you embark then they will attack eventually.

That could be !!Fun!!, when necromancers ambush alone stay stealthed and keep rezzing stuff until you find them :P

Edit: looking at that image, we're pretty close, I'd say expect them to turn up eventually.  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:36:35 am by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 11:42:33 am »

Well, I think if they come up in the list of neighbouring civs before you embark then they will attack eventually.

That could be !!Fun!!, when necromancers ambush alone stay stealthed and keep rezzing stuff until you find them :P

Edit: looking at that image, we're pretty close, I'd say expect them to turn up eventually.  :)

I've double-checked, and it doesn't appear in the list of neighbors, but almost. Who knows?

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 11:57:53 am »

I've double-checked, and it doesn't appear in the list of neighbors, but almost. Who knows?

I guess we'll find out. Or maybe Charred_gp will find out.  :P

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

New to Succession, but i've been playing DF for a couple of years.

I'd like to join to queue if possible.  :D

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 01:09:59 pm »

New to Succession, but i've been playing DF for a couple of years.

I'd like to join to queue if possible.  :D

Welcome to Hauntedhalls! I hope you'll have fun (and Fun). :D

Save is now available here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:18:53 pm by Terra_Inc »

~HPL~

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

I know that I am not next in line, but when I tried to unzip that save file, the computer told me there was an unexpected error.  Error 0x90004005: Unspecified error for file feature-1-2.dat and several other .dat files.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »

I know that I am not next in line, but when I tried to unzip that save file, the computer told me there was an unexpected error.  Error 0x90004005: Unspecified error for file feature-1-2.dat and several other .dat files.

Huh, weird. Let me check that one, hang on a moment.

EDIT: Can't reproduce it. Maybe your download was corrupted, could you try DLing again? :(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:51:53 pm by Terra_Inc »

~HPL~

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 01:56:50 pm »

Alright, I'm downloading the save right now. Hopefully I won't get the same error as Dash.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 01:58:14 pm »

Huh, weird. Let me check that one, hang on a moment.

EDIT: Can't reproduce it. Maybe your download was corrupted, could you try DLing again? :(

I'll give it a download too and test it. I kinda wanted to have a look at the fort first-hand anyway.  :P

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 02:07:58 pm »

I'm getting an error of my own when I try to extract it. It seems like almost all the .dat files are messed up somehow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 02:27:00 pm »

I'm getting an error of my own when I try to extract it. It seems like almost all the .dat files are messed up somehow.

My archiver may have screwed up somehow. I'll upload in another format, please hang on.

I apologize for the inconvenience. :-[

EDIT: Alright, please try again. :( It's a tarball now, most archivers like WinZip and 7Zip can open it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:42:07 pm by Terra_Inc »

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »

My archiver may have screwed up somehow. I'll upload in another format, please hang on.

I apologize for the inconvenience. :-[

EDIT: Alright, please try again. :(

Yeah I got the same glitch as charred_gp on the old one, downloading the new one now :)

EDIT: New version is working fine for me.  :) Seeing as me and charred_gp apparently got the same glitch, I think it should work fine for him now too.  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:01:22 pm by Spinning Welshman »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14