Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 25073 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:03 am »

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to be dorfed as the engraver -- there's something appealing about recording the inevitable string of catastrophes that happens in any succession fort... or with some post-mortem work and a little luck engraving a dwarf's death in his/her crypt.

I might sign up for a turn later, but right now I'm just getting back to Dwarf Fortress after a long semi-hiatus that involved slooowly picking at a fort that was reaching "Death by boredom" levels, and am not familiar with the changes in .34.xx from .31.25 yet
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

Personal diary of Tau, expedition leader
1st Granite, 201AF
The outpost of Hauntedhalls

The wagon rattled along an abandoned road leading northward to the oppressed region of the Bridled Swamp. It was a fertile, flat swamp bordered by low, rolling hills... quite beautiful. Well, as beautiful as the surface can be. I was much more interested in the ground. What was not covered by reed and rush showed the typical red and tan colors of sand, with a bit of darker brown in it. Probably siltstone.

We decided to settle down close to a river promising much fresher water than the ubiquitous murky pools. According to our maps, this was one of the best spots in the area. I went up to one of the small hills to the south and tried to sketch a rough map of our surroundings.

The map shows the entire embark square, the sand layer is wonderfully visible.

I was delighted to see a small number of wild turkeys quite close to where our wagon had stopped. We had brought a single turkey hen with us, mostly because they are delicious, but the sight of these fat, plump birds reminded me of the turkey roasts they served in the Mountainhome. I thought of catching them, but we had more important things to do right now.

Even though the landscape was rather pleasant, we had to get underground as fast as possible. I showed Iron Tea, the miner who was part of our expedition, the general outline of the near-surface fort, while the others unpacked our supplies. Our first task was to get past the sand layer and set up a small near-surface structure that could serve as a easily defendable base while we dug deeper. Most important, though, was a farm to provide us with food and booze.

The main halls, as they were planned, consisting of a meeting hall, dormitory, food stockpile and the stairs to the left leading up to the farm in the sand layer.

Our woodworker, who went by the name of Spinning Welshman, set up a small carpenter's workshop on the surface and began cutting down trees. I looked forward to the prospect of sleeping in a bed again. That wagon hadn't exactly been comfortable, and from what I heard the rest of us wasn't too fond of it, either.

Now all that needs to be done is a carpton of digging. I hope we'll have our halls set up soon. Some of us have decided to give this fortress the name of Hauntedhalls. I smiled at the choice, knowing how ironic a name it was.

25 Felsite, 201AF

Well, what a surprise. When digging our first underground rooms, Iron Tea dug right into magnetite! Looks like we'll have a good supply of iron goods right away. Unfortunately, none of us has any experience with smithing. But Vabok has promised to send us talented workers, so I hope he'll send some smiths our way.

Momuz has set up our farm, and we can expect the first plump helmet harvest in less than a month. I persuaded him to plant some cave wheat as well. It'll complement the plump helmet wine nicely.

Momuz constructing the farm and stills.

The workshops, including jeweler workshop to the right and furniture/goods stockpile to the south.

We've started to move all surface operations down into the siltstone layer. Since we will be relying on masonry and mechanics a lot, an area below the main halls has been designated for workshops. Our mason charred_gp has created a fine set of furniture for my office, and Tevish Szat, our Fortress Architect, plans our defenses with him. We'll probably get a decent wall in a few weeks, and then we can set up traps. Some of the Warrior Monks back in the Mountainhome would disagree with me, but cage traps will be a very useful part of our fortress, protecting us from servants of evil as long as we have no military, and they'll probably catch some animals as well.

While the two are doing the planning, I've begun to put my office to use. There's a lot of bookkeeping to be done.

This is a masterful PNG image. On this item is an image of a dwarf in ASCII. The dwarf is laboring. The image relates to the bookkeeping in Hauntedhalls in 201 by Tau.

Before I finish this tablet, I should add that our medical dwarf, who goes by the name of "Gamerboy4life" (despite being female), has requested that we set up a hospital. It is a bit too early for that, since we don't even have a proper well yet, but I will have her set one up once that is done.

Aaand that was Spring. Going pretty well (and rather fast) so far.

Here are all the char screens.

Spoiler: Tau (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: charred_gp (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spinning Welshman (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tevish Szat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gamerboy4life (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Iron Tea (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:02:09 pm by Terra_Inc »
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:59 pm »

An excellent start so far, Terra! I can't wait to see how the fort progresses until I take over. But could we get some more info on the embark site? Is there an aquifer? Flux stone?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »

Nice work!  :) Interesting fort design.

As charred_gp said, info on flux stone would be nice, it'd be cool if we can get some steel industry going.

I have a question too, it wasn't mentioned, so I'm assuming we're playing the latest version?

I'm liking the abundance of iron there! Plenty of fuel for !!Fun!! later.  :P

I sound like a sociopath there. Excellent!  :D
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 03:46:39 pm »

An excellent start so far, Terra! I can't wait to see how the fort progresses until I take over. But could we get some more info on the embark site? Is there an aquifer? Flux stone?

There's no aquifer. I usually play with aquifers off, since I've never been able to master the aquifer-piercing methods, and it's too much work for too little gain. Especially if you already have an essentially infinite water source (in our case, the river.)
Regarding flux, dfprospect says that there's a lot of marble down there, and I trust dfprospect. :D

Nice work!  :) Interesting fort design.
Thanks! I prefer this half-open approach, leaving some corridors empty so if I need to expand, I have some points to start from and it looks natural as well. I'm also a fan of fortresses growing vertical instead of horizontal, it shortens many routes.

I have a question too, it wasn't mentioned, so I'm assuming we're playing the latest version?
Yes, we're playing the latest DF2012, no mods or anything (except the removal of aquifers). I personally play stock ASCII (I'm a roguelike person ;)), but people are welcome to use graphics packs as well.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that... I'm using a DF.exe with binary patches. It fixes some nasty bugs in DF2012. You can find it here. It doesn't change anything with regards to save compatibility, though, so if you feel uncomfortable using it, you can always use the unpatched DF2012.

I'm liking the abundance of iron there! Plenty of fuel for !!Fun!! later.  :P
Yeah. As I said in the OP, our resources are most likely overkill, but I personally don't really care for low-resource embarks. And if we want to get any kind of megaproject started, chances are we're gonna need a lot of resources.

I'm not afraid of you, hehe. I'm afraid of charred_gp. :( He has a grudge against me, apparently. He's the only person in the whole fortress who has a grudge.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:01:12 pm by Terra_Inc »
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »

Hah, nice. I'll need to remember to watch for that when I'm overseer.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 04:30:59 pm »

Terra_Inc
I'm not afraid of you, hehe. I'm afraid of charred_gp.  He has a grudge against me, apparently. He's the only person in the whole fortress who has a grudge.
Hoho! You'd better watch out for yourself, he's muscular too.. :P

Ok, cheers for the heads-up about the binary patch, I don't think I'll bother getting it though if it's all the same to you, the things it fixes aren't things that bother me really.

Nice that we have flux too.  :) So, lots of steel, combined with whatever else we find deeper down. Steel statues in every dwarf's bedroom maybe? Perhaps that'll save us from tantrum spiralling if we ever have a lack of socks later.  :P

Ok, I seem to be having very bad luck getting quotes to work.  :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:35:04 pm by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

I like how this is looking, so I'm posting to watch  :D Good job so far Terra, lovin' the burial concept!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »

I tend to prefer to construct my forward defense on the surface. However, now that I think about it, that's pretty much a holdover from the pre-burrows days when the only option was All Dwarves Underground and surface fortifications were needed to fend off the Entrance Dance.

I also usually carve my starting dining room and farm excessively large, which is probably not the best of ideas but does stop me from having to make new ones. I also generally create a barracks/hospital near the surface to support the military.

If we have an abundance of steel components, we should use it to create steel coffins for our weaponlords.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Fujuki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 05:46:23 am »

Posting to watch.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:19 am »

I tend to prefer to construct my forward defense on the surface. However, now that I think about it, that's pretty much a holdover from the pre-burrows days when the only option was All Dwarves Underground and surface fortifications were needed to fend off the Entrance Dance.

I also usually carve my starting dining room and farm excessively large, which is probably not the best of ideas but does stop me from having to make new ones. I also generally create a barracks/hospital near the surface to support the military.

If we have an abundance of steel components, we should use it to create steel coffins for our weaponlords.

I started playing with 31.25 and I usually create a surface defensive area too. However my hospitals tend to be built deep down, sometimes actually into the caverns, for the free water, which sometimes leads to FBs paying my patients a visit.  :P

And about the coffins. YES. Every coffin should be steel if possible! What do you say to that idea Terra?  :)

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:41 am »

I started playing with 31.25 and I usually create a surface defensive area too. However my hospitals tend to be built deep down, sometimes actually into the caverns, for the free water, which sometimes leads to FBs paying my patients a visit.  :P

And about the coffins. YES. Every coffin should be steel if possible! What do you say to that idea Terra?  :)

Heh. I don't mind as long as we have enough steel left for weapons & armor. :D

Next update in a few hours, I was out of town today and didn't have a chance to play yet.

~HPL~

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 12:09:26 pm »

I want in. This sounds like it could be fun. Possible megaproject: Epic king's tomb. Tombs for the tomb god!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:36 pm »

Log of Tevish Szat, Fortress Architect and engraver.
All I can say Is that I'm glad I don't have to work in the mess of shop floor I've had to sign off on.  A private room would be great, but in a new fort like this, you can't have everything you want. At first, I was little distraught when we hadn't started constructing space for crypts in the stone, but we're unlikely to start receiving the dead and dying until significantly later.  What we DO need is a pit for all which is allowed to rot, out of the sight of untoward surface-dwellers.

There's also been some talk of making steel for the tombs.  Thethrus Cobaltpainted knows our purpose here is caring for the departed, but it seems to me that construction projects should get priority on something as useful as steel.  If we strike silver or gold or anything that can't be used to get us a magma cistern for hot and cold running water, by all means, use that for making tombs, but steel?  I'm sure our military, an inevitable necessity, will be wanting it too.  No matter how much we have, it won't be enough.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »

I want in. This sounds like it could be fun. Possible megaproject: Epic king's tomb. Tombs for the tomb god!

That's the spirit! Welcome to Hauntedhalls! :D

EDIT: Alright, my turn is done. I'll post a big update tomorrow and hand the save to charred_gp. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:25:14 pm by Terra_Inc »

~HPL~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14