Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What state is the current build in?  (Read 2089 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What state is the current build in?
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:09:58 am »

So it's been a pretty long time since I played DF, and I haven't really been keeping up with its development, either. What is the current build like? As in, what's working, what isn't, what are the main bugs right now?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
Re: What state is the current build in?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:15:07 am »

How long has it been since you played? It hasn't changed too much in a year or so, except for a hauling overhaul and adventure mode updates (you have to eat and drink, now), as well as an undead overhaul. And vampires and werecreatures. A few more things I'm forgetting.

It's stable, except for a few nasty bugs:
- Sometimes dwarves will simply refuse to build a wall. This happened after the construction behaviour was changed so that dwarves will usually not wall themselves in; they build the wall from the direction they came from. However, when they come from a staircase above, they will try to build the wall on the same square they're standing on, and repeatedly cancel the construction because a creature is standing on it. There are a few more examples of this, and there's usually a workaround if you try hard enough. But still, really annoying.
- There's a strange bug where a bunch of items will randomly teleport to where something was deconstructed. Here's the bug report. It's happened to me a lot. When a floor is deconstructed or something, a full screen of items is teleported to a square next to it.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:25:33 am »

By itself it is stable. There is a few bugs but none are game breaking. The most anoying one is the issue with wall construction that require you to cancel and redesign the wall, but you no longer have dwarves walling themselves even while installing a floodgate.

Also equiping your military can be erratic as dwarves won't pick up boots while wearing sandals, you nee to set them to replace their clothing with armor for that.

I do understand that a few features have been streamlined or disabled currently : there is no economy, beast training is more condensed and kids doesn't need clothing. Armor also satisfies clothing requirement too, this makes the game slightly easier.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 07:39:36 am »

I heard there was a problem with hauling pathfinding, is this true?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 07:53:51 am »

Its not a path finding bug.

Its just interesting and annoying behavior from the hauling changes. It has to do with how ToadyOne is handlging the postman route issue and it deals with containers being left of stockpiles for being engaged to long.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Qauzzix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:34:06 am »

If you are looking for the bugs in the current version, I suggest cheaking up on the "The worst bug - 34.11 poll" that can be found here -> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111051.30

There are a few annoying bugs like people have mentioned. But there is one very serious one, in my opinion, that has a fix that I think you should know about. Bug #3190 (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3190). Bad thoughts about long patrol duty seems to only go up and not reset after breaks. Having a tantrum spiral in your military is a bad thing.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »

Its not a path finding bug.

Its just interesting and annoying behavior from the hauling changes. It has to do with how ToadyOne is handlging the postman route issue and it deals with containers being left of stockpiles for being engaged to long.

What exactly does it entail?

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:26:59 pm »

Well to put it as simple as possible, dwarves now try to pick up items with the appropriate container (eg barrel for plants, bin for clothing), this can lead to some annoying job cancellations when Urist McHauler grabs the only Plant Barrel and Urist Mcbrewer is trying to make booze.  Most of the annoyances can be avoided with proper stockpile management.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »

Its not that they try to pick up items using the appropriate container, its that they will now pick up the appropriate container and pick up multiple items in a single trip.  This is the good part.  The bad part is that they bring the container even when there is only one item to pick up, and this can cause job cancellations due to the rest of the items in that barrel not being available for use (e.g., can't plant, the seed barrel is being hauled to the dining room to get more seeds).

The work around most are using is to build a smaller, non-bin/barrel using stockpile next to the one that holds the bins/barrels, and have it set to give to the one that holds the barrels/bins.  This way, dwarves bring stuff one at a time (old school way), then immediatley move them into the barrels/bins as needed.

For the building bug, dwarves sometimes stand on the location to build, and cancel construction because someone is in the way (themselves).  The solution is, usually, to cancel and redesignate the construction.  Preferably with a different peice of material (waiting for the problem one to get tasked for hauling is the best way to do this).  This one isn't normally that annoying, but depending on the situation may be very frustrating.

Oh, and builders can still wall themselves in, it just doesn't happen anywhere near as often as in pre-0.34 versions.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 04:17:35 am »

I see. That's not nearly as bad as I thought it was, thanks! Also, is the site-finder bugged? It can't seem to find flux at all.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:22:52 am »

Yeah, flux is not always shown, even if it's there.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:02 am »

Damn that's annoying. Is there any other way of telling?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 04:35:25 am »

At least Marble can be found nearly anywhere, so it's no big deal really.
The other fluxstones are common in sedementary layers.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 04:36:30 am »

I seem to remember that marble often appears on an embark where no flux was displayed, usually right down by the magma.  At anyrate the embark finder displaying no flux does not mean its not there, but if it does display flux then it definately is there somewhere.

DFhacks prospect tool has a method for running it on a site pre-embark, not sure how, never used it.  But youll find it in the documentation for dfhack-prospect.

My major issue with the new container item-collecting is that when clearing up goblinite after seiges a dwarf often takes an almost full armor bin out to grab a few pieces.  Said bin weighs a LOT since its full of armor, and dwarves now slow noticably when moving heavy loads, also if said dwarf gets spooked he drops the bin, which may contain artifacts, masterpieces or candy items, not stuff you want outside during a seige or ambush.  These issues can be worked round with stockpiles using bins set to only take from links, then pulling from staging stockpiles, forbidden to use bins and taking from anywhere.  Similar fixes are advised for plant stockpiles for the same reasons, and seeds should always be forbidden from all food piles and given their own pile set to allow no barrels.

A major plus from when you likely last played is the hospital system which is now much more effective than it once was, though storage in a hospital is still a little buggy and they overstock like mad.  Plus crutches work now :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:39:09 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 04:40:12 am »

A major plus from when you likely last played is the hospital system which is now much more effective than it once was, though storage in a hospital is still a little buggy and they overstock like mad.

I can't imagine how they manage to stick all the stuff in one chest. I ususal build one chest and ofter it's filled with all of my fortresses thread an cloth ;), I add another to get some missing stuff moved like crutches and soap.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:43:16 am by Laurin »
Pages: [1] 2