Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of obsidian  (Read 759 times)

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lots of obsidian
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »

My latest map has about six layers of natural obsidian. 

I realize it's neat because it's black, and it's very dwarfy, but other than that I've been treating it like any other natural magma safe stone.  I note that people go out of their way to farm it though... what's the best use for it?
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of obsidian
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:38 pm »

1. Make gigantic obsidian tower.
2. Capture necromancer.
3. Put necromancer (or macedwarf) in tower and call him Sauron.
4. Put goblins in walled in area made of obsidian.
Bam. You have now used probably thousands of obsidian.

For bonus points, grow silver barbs and cloth said dwarf in black clothing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:14:30 pm by Urist McEngraver »
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:23:59 pm »

Best non-building usage is to make crafts and rock swords to trade, as it makes fairly valuable stone crafts, moreso when made by a really good stonecrafter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:32:06 pm »

For bonus points, grow silver barbs and cloth said dwarf in black clothing.
NO

IT'S SLIVER BARBS

SLIVER

SLIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEER

*Ahem*.

Anyways rock swords seem too wood intensive to be profitable. Obsidian mechanisms = Profit

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »

Obsidian is the most valuable non-ore stone, I believe. It has a material value of 3, compared to 2 for flux and 1 for normal rock. Also, it's totally renewable if you farm it, which some people might appreciate on principal or because they don't want huge mines mucking up their fortress design. But mostly, it's really dwarfy.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:52:03 am »

Obsidian is valuable ( 3 value, IIRC, compared to 2 for most fluxes and 1 for common stones ), can be 'farmed' with magma and water source, and are magma-safe. It can also make rock swords. It's pretty much the best possible all-around non-flux stone, assuming you can produce or mine enough of it :D

I'm not sure people really 'goes out of their way' to farm it, since a lot of the production seem to be in relatively late fort or for megaprojects where there'd not be enough stones or the player don't want to mine their forts out unnecessarily.

And for the mechanism, rock mugs are lighter and made in 3's, giving same value per rock ( At least, as far as I'm aware, it's still always made in 3's from a rock, I've not made any in past couple forts ).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:56:12 am »

all crafts aside from mugs come in 1-3. Mugs are still made in 3's. A few dozen masterwork obsidian mugs could probably do the same job of a few mechaisms. Could be wrong though.

I personally rely on bone crafts now though. RNG screws me too much for me to want to bother unless I have piles upon piles of stone laying around from earlier.