Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motherboard Replacement Reccomendation!  (Read 515 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Motherboard Replacement Reccomendation!
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »

Hey guys.

I am trying to replace my motherboard, but keep my CPU (I'm on a budget).I have troubles with the current motherboard, its never been reliable, has a max of 2 gigs of RAM, and has NEVER really been reliable about recognizing USB's, even with an upgrade to the power supply and using a powered USB bus. I hate the motherboard, so I need to upgrade. I have about a hundred bucks (perhaps a bit more).

My processor is an Intel Pentium D Processor 940 (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB).

There is a list of compatible chipsets from intel here:http://ark.intel.com/products/27519/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-940-%284M-Cache-3_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB%29

Intel Pentium D Processor 940 (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) I'm trying to find a motherboard (I mostly searched google and newegg) that will support this, but I'm having a lot of trouble.

I tried just searching for one of the chipsets (Intel Q965 - it seemed to be the most advanced) but had no luck. There are a LOT of motherboards out there.

Can anyone recommend something for me? I'm trying to keep the CPU as I have been very satisfied with its speed and performance, especially on Dwarf Fortress, and I really don't think I'd get better performance out of a new one, especially on my non-existent budget.

Thank you kindly!