Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Empire State Building mass shooting  (Read 5536 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire State Building mass shooting
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »

what is it with people doing masses of shootings recently? it's like they looked at the guy that did the shooting at the cinema and went 'yeah, I'll do that!'

Actually it's a well known thing that gets brought up by psychology experts every time there's a shooting, and promptly ignored (or outright attacked) by the media; you plaster the shooter's face over every news outlet, talk about body counts, make it a huge deal, and every other alienated, angry, on-the-edge person at home gets the idea that they are able to make the world recognise them if they too go out in a blaze of gunfire and innocent bystander bodycounts. I'm trying to find an article about it, but the news website's being annoying. I'll edit it in if I can find it.

Edit: There it is!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-26/green-the-media-mistake/4155428

Edit2: So after watching that security camera footage; man, the police forces seriously need to invest more in training their officers in firearms use in high-stress situations; he managed to get 9 shots to miss at that range, in that space of time? Was he secretly using an UZI? I know it's hard to aim pistols in reality, especially when stressed, but man, come the fuck on. If you're pulling the trigger fast enough to lose the ability to hit a target 3 metres away, you're already doing something wrong.

Stop panicking, you twat, you're meant to be a professional.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:37:44 pm by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2012, 08:41:56 pm »

Bullets aren't fully stopped by fleshy meatbags like they are in the movies. It's conceivable that some of the injuries were people standing behind him.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2012, 08:51:39 pm »

I thought about that, but assuming the policeman was using a 9mm, that's going to be the minority of shots fired; those things aren't exactly rifle rounds. Pretty big call to assume they can go through bodyparts and then continue on across the street and still have penetrating power. Some might go through gaps in the limbs, some might miss entirely, but yeah, 9 shots missed means he must've pretty much emptied his clip in a 1-2 second window (can't tell when shooting started on the video, but it was very, very quick); no way to keep a firearm under control if you're firing that many shots that quickly.

Thus the whole 'stop panicking you're meant to be a professional' thing, 'cause as a policeman, he should know better than to spray and pray, even if his own life is at risk, because spraying and praying on a crowded street is almost definitely going to be hitting bystanders, as it did. The fact that he did just fire recklessly during a panic indicates more training for handling stressful situations is needed; it's really only luck he didn't kill more people than the original shooter.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2012, 11:08:47 pm »

Now now, can we please stop using the word clip? The police weren't using turn of the century Mausers, they were using 9mm pistols using magazines.

stripper clips =/= magazines
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2012, 11:54:07 pm »

I'm not a gun nut but that sounds like a pretty pedantic distinction to me :P They're both ammo container thingies, I think.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2012, 12:29:23 am »

I'm not a gun nut but that sounds like a pretty pedantic distinction to me :P They're both ammo container thingies, I think.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2012, 12:42:58 am »

I just committed some unforgivable sin when it comes to guns, didn't I.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2012, 12:48:12 am »

...This. >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2012, 12:49:19 am »

I just committed some unforgivable sin when it comes to guns, didn't I.
Not one you really have to care about. For folks that don't actually have much interaction with guns, the difference between the two things is largely irrelevant.

Sorta' like calling a pistol a gun, I guess. One is for fighting, one is for fun, etc., so forth. Normal person probably won't care or know enough to differentiate, and insofar as they're concerned, it doesn't really make a difference.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2012, 01:09:32 am »

Edit: derp; didn't read the whole thread.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2012, 03:03:05 am »

Can we get the "mass" taken out of the topic's subject line? It was a murder, followed by a police shootout.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2012, 03:29:35 am »

Empire State Building murder, followed by mass shooting?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6