Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Empire State Building mass shooting  (Read 5533 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Empire State Building mass shooting
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »

Things like these are terrible tragedies. :'( When I was little, I used to like guns (as you know, when you are little you are often stupid.) As I got older, I thought guns were cool in media (films and games etc.) but was very wary of their dangers in real life. Now... Well, the gap between guns in media and guns in reality (i.e. indiscriminate use) is being bridged all too often. :(

As a coward, I am scared of much. If I lived in America I wouldn't go outside for fear of being shot. :-\

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 06:36:00 pm »

If I lived in America I wouldn't go outside for fear of being shot. :-\

Trust me, it's a warzone over here. Afghanistan? Pffft, try suburban Philadelphia.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »

Apparently the gunman only shot one person.  The cops did the rest.

http://gawker.com/5937745/the-empire-state-building-shooting-was-mostly-perpetrated-by-cops
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »

What is there to rob from the Empire State Building?

Architecture.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 06:46:13 pm »

Trust me, it's a warzone over here. Afghanistan? Pffft, try suburban Philadelphia.
I refuse to believe America is the only country with bad neighborhoods.
Hello Hunam

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 06:46:35 pm »

http://gawker.com/5937745/the-empire-state-building-shooting-was-mostly-perpetrated-by-cops

Is there something the police can't fuck up? They apparently can't even search a man without finding a gun, allowing him to shoot himself in the back of the car. My favorite part is where the two white guys are released without being searched.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »

I refuse to believe America is the only country with bad neighborhoods.

No, but it's one of the few countries where the people who make the bad neighbourhoods bad can get loads of guns, really easily.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »

The Guardian is saying the same thing. So far the only dead are the shooter himself and the victim of the shooter. Who of course, was the only one shot by the shooter! At least they only fired 19 bullets. I'm sure if they fired the whole clip into a bunch of bystanders they would get suspended and receive 1/3rd of their pay and get 3 years in prison.

e: Shooting victims say the police fired randomly.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:30:05 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 02:11:55 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The police certainly had a lack of discipline, I hope they're taking steps to prevent such a thing from happening again.
Hello Hunam

Comrade Catastrophe

• Bay Watcher
  • Aw HEEEEEW' NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 02:20:14 am »

The more stories I read like this, the more I want to buy that CZ 9mm I was looking at. I feel really, really insecure without possession of a handgun.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 02:25:19 am »

First the NYPD shot that pitbull using bystanders as a backdrop, and now they injure 9 people? Hilarious, I'm going to love to see Bloomberg talk his way out of this one.

"Ban the NYPD! They're a public health risk, next they might hand big gulps to children!"
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 02:35:24 am »

Honestly I don't see any reason yet to get all up in arms about this.

From what we have been told. He shot someone, and walked away. police confronted him. he pointed his gun at them, they shot back. You can't really say "oh someones just shot osmeone and pointing a gun at you, but don't shoot them there's people behind him. and hey who knows mabye he's not some lunatic and just a guy who was out for revenge on his boss so there might be a chance he won't shoot back at you". There were probably people behind the police officers also.

It was not a good outcome, but I don't think there is much police could really have done differently given the situation.
Magma is overrated.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 02:47:56 am »

Maybe hitting one to two people would be reasonable. Perhaps even if three people were hit in an engagement that didn't end inthe first few rounds, but hitting 9 people as collateral damage with hand guns is a little odd.

There was one report where the witness said that one of the officers backed up from the perp with gun in one hand shooting in the general direction as he moved away, no idea about the credibility of this though, although there is apparently video showing this happening. One of the officers was crouched and seemed to take aim, the other did the thing above.

Edit: Found the vid: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7419238n

Yeah, not quite running, but I don't think that position leads to a stable firing position or any sort of responsible shooting posture, especially in public.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:53:44 am by Flare »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 02:54:21 am »

Honestly I don't see any reason yet to get all up in arms about this.

From what we have been told. He shot someone, and walked away. police confronted him. he pointed his gun at them, they shot back. You can't really say "oh someones just shot osmeone and pointing a gun at you, but don't shoot them there's people behind him. and hey who knows mabye he's not some lunatic and just a guy who was out for revenge on his boss so there might be a chance he won't shoot back at you". There were probably people behind the police officers also.

It was not a good outcome, but I don't think there is much police could really have done differently given the situation.
So, it's not the cops fault for shooting people, even though they were shooting at less than 5 yards? Personally I believe if you are shooting into a crowd of people, it might be prudent to aim your shots. Although I might be silly in expecting over 50% of bullets shot by police to not hit bystanders.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 02:59:05 am »

From what I could see, I think they may have hit people on the other side of the road given the angle of the engagement, and especially the the officer that did the spraying.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6